Newbie flying over a river...

Reaction score
Hey fellow bird owners

I am pretty new at this and I wondered if anyone could advise about flying over murky brown rivers?

I am unsure about the reflective properties as it is a river and a very murky brown colour, but I have found some beauitful banks and a bit of wildlife I'd really like to film.

Can anyone say if brown water vs ocean blues is more or less dangerous for going for an unscheduled drink?

Also just ordered my GetterBack so I'll waiting to hook that up first for sure!

Total novice flying a P4. (Attaching a pic of said drink)

Thanks in advance pilots!

Attachments

• 20160912_101210.jpg
    20160912_101210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 537
Murky water will make visual locating almost impossible.

This^^^ don't crash into the water and you should be alright..

Edit: I always turn off the downward sensors and maintain VLOS. It hasn't been a problem yet. I don't have any getrdone drone recovery systems or anything. Not because they don't work but my plan is A. Don't crash into the water. B. If you do crash into the water, immediately file claim with Insurance Company. After I've done that I'll go looking for the AC.

Reactions: Samuraiz
I've flown over still and rushing rivers, and I've flown over the ocean with choppy waves. Since I don't fly close enough to get sea spray, it is just like flying over land. Just as above, there have been posts in this forum about how the sensors on the bottom get a little flamboozled due to the constant changing of the waters surface, so just don't get close enough for that to be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziaul8080
Great photo, post more! I personally would not fly over water till I had more flying time under my belt.....

upload_2018-1-6_12-25-43.jpeg

I have a getterback for my P4, it's light and easy to place on the landing gear. (check out their web site)
Flying over water is a bit nerve racking at first then quickly becomes just another place to fly.

I can't see your bird doing much flying after falling in the river even if you have a getterback on your bird, water is no-good for drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20