Newbie checklist

Reaction score
I sold my Phantom Vision to my brother- wrote this list to help him get started, & thought it might be helpful to other newbies. Please let me know if you see any glaring errors or omissions!

Here's some random hints & tips for you -

DO NOT use prop guards.
DO NOT change to carbon fiber props.
Don't try to fly indoors until you get very skilled. (The GPS function does not work indoors!)
NEVER descend straight down (many have crashed trying)- always travel left, rt, fwd or back.

Phantom Checklist:

Transmitter batteries- check for green light when on.
Wifi repeater battery charged.
Phantom battery charged (will not re-charge until below 75%).
Cell phone battery charged.
Cell phone set to max brightness AND max volume.
Phone set to ignore calls.

Big field- no underground pipes, power lines, cell towers or HAM towers nearby.
Download the free Wifi Analyzer app- use it to check for strong wifi fields nearby.

Point Phantom away from you. Try and find a place where you are in the shade, or a position that uses your body to shade the phone.

Start transmitter
Start wifi repeater
Start cell phone
Start Phantom.
Wait for wifi & connect.
Check telemetry readings.
Perform Compass Correction (VERY important!)
Check for number of GPS satellites
Check camera tilt. Turn lens up.
CHECK BOTH S1 & S2 FULL FORWARD,
Start motors.
Check for rapid green flashes- “Home Point Acquired”.
LAUNCH!

When launching, do not try to do so slowly. Bring the throttle up to full, and release after the craft is airborne. It will end up in about a 10' hover. Wait and see if the Phantom is stable. If it wanders in a circle, or does odd things, land immediately.

Fly it out about 20-30 feet away.
Check radar function of the software for distance, bearing & drone heading.

Good luck- Have fun learning to fly!

I am a Newbie and have not yet had a first flight. I don't understand the rule about not descending straight down. Can you please explain and elaborate?

Thanks

Larry

I am a Newbie and have not yet had a first flight. I don't understand the rule about not descending straight down. Can you please explain and elaborate?

Thanks

Larry
this has basically been taken care of with the new Phantoms, with the 2m/s descent maximum speed now. In the past, descending too fast would cause a Prop Wash (turbulance) to happen under the aircraft, eliminating lift from the props and causing the quad to fall like a rock.

Last edited:
I sold my Phantom Vision to my brother- wrote this list to help him get started, & thought it might be helpful to other newbies. Please let me know if you see any glaring errors or omissions!

Here's some random hints & tips for you -

DO NOT use prop guards.
DO NOT change to carbon fiber props.
Don't try to fly indoors until you get very skilled. (The GPS function does not work indoors!)
NEVER descend straight down (many have crashed trying)- always travel left, rt, fwd or back.

Phantom Checklist:

Transmitter batteries- check for green light when on.
Wifi repeater battery charged.
Phantom battery charged (will not re-charge until below 75%).
Cell phone battery charged.
Cell phone set to max brightness AND max volume.
Phone set to ignore calls.

Big field- no underground pipes, power lines, cell towers or HAM towers nearby.
Download the free Wifi Analyzer app- use it to check for strong wifi fields nearby.

Point Phantom away from you. Try and find a place where you are in the shade, or a position that uses your body to shade the phone.

Start transmitter
Start wifi repeater
Start cell phone
Start Phantom.
Wait for wifi & connect.
Check telemetry readings.
Perform Compass Correction (VERY important!)
Check for number of GPS satellites
Check camera tilt. Turn lens up.
CHECK BOTH S1 & S2 FULL FORWARD,
Start motors.
Check for rapid green flashes- “Home Point Acquired”.
LAUNCH!

When launching, do not try to do so slowly. Bring the throttle up to full, and release after the craft is airborne. It will end up in about a 10' hover. Wait and see if the Phantom is stable. If it wanders in a circle, or does odd things, land immediately.

Fly it out about 20-30 feet away.
Check radar function of the software for distance, bearing & drone heading.

Good luck- Have fun learning to fly!

Nice Tips.
But why not use prop guards ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31