Newbie and also got a question.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, im new here and also new to the phantom scene, only got my phantom 3 professional on thursday so just getting use to it but i have to say i instantly love it, its a pleasure to fly and the photo's and 4k video is mouth watering, now the question/problem i have is it says the P3P goes upto 2.5/3 mile in distance which is outstanding, but i seem to be losing both transmitter and RC signal from about 500m, i did reach 900m half hour ago but it went into auto RTH Mode and came back, iv tried adjusting the antennas and removed the distance restriction but cant get past 900m, is it possbile i have a faulty phantom or RC? Thanks In Advance Guys. Craig.

That's a possibility, especially if there were trees or building blocking the signal path. I fly mostly in the open desert. Nothing blocking me at all. But I still have to be up at least 150 feet when I go out over a mile.

I was flying straight ahead over houses, would this be an issue do you think? Causing interuptions? And could i get better distance with high altitude?

Hey, sorry to hear about your range problem, you should most likely try to change your spot and make sure the sides of the antennas not the tips of the antennas pointing at the aircraft parallel to the antennas side. Give me some feedback when you get to fly again
~Derek

Hey, sorry to hear about your range problem, you should most likely try to change your spot and make sure the sides of the antennas not the tips of the antennas pointing at the aircraft parallel to the antennas side. Give me some feedback when you get to fly again
~Derek
Would it be possible to send me a picture of exactly how the antennas should be positioned? Thanks!

I know that this is not the best but this should give you an idea on how to position your antennas.
f644043e48de0082d55777a7e8c9478e.jpg

Reactions: wmclements2003
Thanks guys i didnt have them that straight, would this cause me to only reach 900m because of this? 14966107750711198239616.jpg

View attachment 83329 View attachment 83330 so would it be picture 1 or picture 2? Sorry for the questions
Neither! Point them straight up and down like your car radio antenna. "||' not "=". the only time they work best flat as your pictures show, is if the drone is directly overhead. They would probably be touching the top side of your tablet or iPhone which ever you have. And the more obstacles you have in the way, the higher in altitude you'll have to go.

Last edited:
View attachment 83329 View attachment 83330 so would it be picture 1 or picture 2? Sorry for the questions
@Grandpa Don is correct. Neither picture is what you want to do.

Check out this video for more tips regarding antenna orientation and signal strength. Summary is that the antenna should be pointed up, roughly parallel to the legs on the bird's landing gear as much as possible, and with the wider (flat) side facing the AC. Also as @Grandpa Don noted, do not point the RC antenna straight out (as in the two photos you posted) unless the bird is directly overhead which by the way is not a good place for it to be.

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners. The link to that video is in there, as well as a few other tips that you may find useful.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grandpa Don

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub