Newbee Question - Decent, stick down, rotors off

Reaction score
Bad title I know, but didn't know how else to phrase this question...

I have had my P2V for a little less than a week now and have flown about 4 - 5 times, still learning!!

I know to turn the rotors off, you hold the left stick (official name escapes me at the moment), all the way down for about 2 seconds (estimated), theoretically isn't it possible to be descending form a high altitude and have the rotors turn off on you if you are not careful? This scares the crap out of me

it "SEEMS" that if I don't have the stick directly centered when all the way down (exactly 6 o'clock) the rotors wont turn off. first off, currently, I never descend with the stick all the way down for this reason, however my thoughts are, during a fast decent (all the way down) perhaps put the stick at 5 or 7 o'clock, I will rotate while descending but at least my rotors wont turn off.

Please someone set me straight!

You have to put both controller sticks into the bottom left position to turn the props off, not straight down.

You should know this as it's how you turn the props on?

I have read that works as well, not tried it. on my P2v, to turn the rotors on, I put both sticks to the lower inside corners. To turn the rotors off, I leave the right stick alone (centered), and the left stick all the way down. that's what concerns me..

I wondered this also , after i land i continue to hold my left stick down and it turns my rotors off ,how does it not shut the rotors off when decending ,holding the left stick all the way down?

Thank for the link jade box, that eases my mind!!

From the link: "The 'copter sensed that the stick to was down for three second while it wasn't moving, so it shut off the motors. In the air, the motors would not have shut off."

Original poster said:
You have to put both controller sticks into the bottom left position to turn the props off, not straight down.

You should know this as it's how you turn the props on?

That's an excellent way to flip your Phantom over on landing. The proper method is to hold the left stick all the way down until the motors turn off. This takes a few seconds. The CSC that you use to start the motors will stop the motors immediately... But you run a very high risk of the aircraft getting sideways and slamming rotors into the ground...

-slinger

mtsoule said:
Bad title I know, but didn't know how else to phrase this question...

I have had my P2V for a little less than a week now and have flown about 4 - 5 times, still learning!!

I know to turn the rotors off, you hold the left stick (official name escapes me at the moment), all the way down for about 2 seconds (estimated), theoretically isn't it possible to be descending form a high altitude and have the rotors turn off on you if you are not careful? This scares the crap out of me

it "SEEMS" that if I don't have the stick directly centered when all the way down (exactly 6 o'clock) the rotors wont turn off. first off, currently, I never descend with the stick all the way down for this reason, however my thoughts are, during a fast decent (all the way down) perhaps put the stick at 5 or 7 o'clock, I will rotate while descending but at least my rotors wont turn off.

Please someone set me straight!
Holding left stick all the way down during flight will not stop the motors. However, holding the sticks as you would start the motors spinning (CSC) will stop the motors in flight. Depending on the altitude at the time & your state of composure, you may have time to restart the motors before it hits the ground. There are videos on YT of people intentionally turning off the motors in flight & restarting them. Why? That I do not know....

Continuing to hold the stick down once the Phantom has landed does, indeed, stop the motors... I think THAT'S what the OP was referencing, Phantom_Menace.

And was asking, if that's the case, why it didn't also stop the motors while the Phantom was in flight. But sounds like that has been sufficiently answered.

Damoncooper, Thanks!! I had no idea this existed, I always try to descend slowly. I have not been in anything but GPS mode as of now. I do need to experiment with the other modes, but not until I learn all I can about them first.

I want to thank everyone on here who is teaching us newbies from your expertise!

mtsoule said:
Damoncooper, Thanks!! I had no idea this existed, I always try to descend slowly. I have not been in anything but GPS mode as of now. I do need to experiment with the other modes, but not until I learn all I can about them first.

I want to thank everyone on here who is teaching us newbies from your expertise!

Glad to help. Lost my first one to VRS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl