Newbee advise

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post (it will not be my last so you might soon tire of me)

Ok so I have been researching drones for well over a year now and have finally narrowed it down to the Phantom 4 Pro (from BestBuy I have an elite plus account, 45 day return policy)

It rainy season here so flying time will me almost nonexistent for the next several months (so wondering if I should wait for two month in hopes there is a newer version, but as we all know this tends to be a fools chase, there will always be a newer, better, faster cheaper, bla bla version just over the horizon)

I will be filming for mostly personal entertainment, mostly outdoor location in Oregon, so there will be hiking involved.

With the vast amount on knowledge on this forum (some members helpfulness is simply astonishing, thank you i have learned a lot) so please be patient with me… What I would like is some feedback on what hardware and software should I acquire in addition to what’s included with the drone (i.e. iPad version vs. iPhone 7, etc…) –

Note price is not a big concern

What accessories should I get to start
iPad (what model) vs. iPhone 7+ (I do need an upgrade to my iPhone)
Extra batteries (2, 3 or 4)
Extra props
Additional memory card – what type would be best (U3 class 10?) price is not a big concern
battery charging hub
Car charger
What backpack
Phantom 4 pro ND filter (I will order all 3 from Dji)
laptop (Mac book or is a PC fine?)
What Video editing software
Any additional advice welcome

Thank you so much

Chris

I would wait, 2 months is a long time in "DJI world", If you buy now, and cannot fly for 2 months, then you may be buying second best.
I am waiting for the next Phantom 5, if indeed DJI continue the Phantom range, who knows.

Yes life is short, but I seriously doubt that a new phantom will be out in the next two months....But maybe a Mavic with 1-inch CMOS sensor, 5 direction Obstacle sensing and 4k 60 fbs ...:)

I was just looking at your list and looks so familiar to my current setup.

I have an iPad Mini 4 w cellular ( cellular part is not required to fly any drone 0.
I also have an iPhone 7+ 128GB.
Sometimes I fly my P4PRO with the iPad and sometimes with just the iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 7 ( plus version ) is more than capable of running DJI Go App 4. It is a matter of how good your eyes are what you are more comfortable with in terms of viewing area.
I do like flying the drone with the iPad Mini, the viewing are is larger, it is easier on your eyes. But at the same time it is a bit heavier than the iPhone 7Plus. I also use a lanyard but that creates weight around my neck. I have seen adapters for the waist, where you mount the control and all of the weight is around your waist line.
The last few times I have only been using my iPhone 7 Plus, the same one I use to fly my Mavic. Before I upgraded I used to use an iPhone 6 PLus and that was perfectly fine.
I have seen guys at the park flying drones with the iPad Air, some even bring a portable table.

I have 3 batteries for the Phantom 4 Pro and 4 Batteries for the Mavic. I think 3 is fine, you are looking at 19 mins flight time x 3, about an hour of flying time.

I have replaced all of my memory cards with 64GB with Sandisk Ultra and no problems even when shooting in 4K. Tend to shoot in 4K, we have a 4K TV, enjoy showing the footage to friends and family. The quality is amazing. However if you are going to share footage on Youtube or Vimeo you can just shoot in 2.7K and down sample it to 1080P.

I have battery charging hubs for both drones (Mavic and P4PRO) DJI Oem. If you buy DJI One thing to know is that it does not charge all of the batteries at once, it charges the batteries sequentially starting with most depleted one. I love the convenience, because I can do other things while the batteries are charging. Otherwise you are going to have to exchange each battery connected to the charger once they are fully charged, a pain in the a***

I have a Macbook Pro I use with my video editing, sometimes I use iMovie , this gets the job done. My favorite editing software is Adobe Premiere Pro. The learning curve is extensive.
Others in this forum use Windows PC and laptops, so I can't comment on those. But for what I hear it is a good option as well.

One thing you should add to your list is an external hard drive to store all of your footage. After a while pictures and videos, depending which mode you use, it takes a mass amount of hard drive space. This is one thing to keep in mind.

Thanks ElGuapo, Great information. I think I will just upgrade the phone to iphone 7+ and get another dedicated ipad. External hard drive is a great idea.

"Adobe Premiere Pro. The learning curve is extensive" The understatement of the year ;)

What drone do you find yourself using more? the P4P or The Mavic?

What drone do you find yourself using more? the P4P or The Mavic?

Well it depends. I am going to answer this question by saying that this Thursday we are leaving on vacation to Costa Rica for 2 weeks, the Mavic is coming with us on this little vacation.

Both drones are completely different, not only in the obvious size, but camera specs as well. The camera of the Mavic is similar in capabilities to the P3P and the Phantom 4. However no comparison with the camera of the P4 PRO.

I like the Mavic because is small and portable for traveling, hiking, etc. Pictures and videos quality is good.
When I am not traveling, flying locally I fly the P4 Pro.

Needless to say I love to fly both drones. When I want whopping looking pictures I fly the P4 Pro.
When I am on the go and need a drone for pictures and footage I fly the Mavic.

Reactions: Crowe99
So the real answer is just to buy both :D. That is what i will most likely end-up doing but i still think the picture quality of the P4P out ways the portability of the Mavic but only time will tell. I might be quick to change my option after the first hike up the side of a mountain.

But the Mavic on a long bike or kayak trip is just Delicious sounding.

Get 5 batts, Dronetrekker backpack, ND filters, a bunch of scandisks extreme pro 64s, and an external harddrive with very fast speeds so you can work on the 4k video.

If you're flying off mountains it will be windy and colder and your batts will not last the advertised amount of flight time.

i still think the picture quality of the P4P out ways the portability of the Mavic but only time will tell. I might be quick to change my option after the first hike up the side of a mountain.

I thought so too,

But the Mavic on a long bike or kayak trip is just Delicious sounding.

We also bike quite a bit and found out the Mavic is so much easier to bring along than any Phantom.

Thank everyone for all the advice. Got the P4P

Now questions on Polarizer and ND filters. So question DJI oem for the 3 ND filters or are other manufacturers better (not concerned with the price, just want the best)

Thanks

Thank everyone for all the advice. Got the P4P

Now questions on Polarizer and ND filters. So question DJI oem for the 3 ND filters or are other manufacturers better (not concerned with the price, just want the best)

Thanks
The one thing about DJI filters, they fit the gimbal brace, others have to be removed and the original screwed back on the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20