Newbe problem with a motor

Reaction score
Just received my Phantom, downloaded the software upgraded to the latest firmware, but when I try to fly it, three out of the four motors work perfect, but the fourth just kindof shudders a bit. The housing/propeller moves freely and doesn't catch on anything. But just doesn't go beyond a quarter turn without shuddering (stopping and going). Even turning it while the other blades are going full speed (I know, I wouldn't recommend this either) doesn't help!

I think I must have gotten a defective unit. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd

couple things to check
did you reload the default Phantom parameters? recalibration of IMUs after software update? is the correct aircraft type selected?
4149611_3.jpg

YOU WANT THE MIXER TYPE THAT REPRESENTS THE X SHAPE. ALSO MIGHT TRY THE COMPASS CALIBRATION AGAIN WHERE YOU FLICK THE GPS SWITCH 10 TIMES AND THEN ROTATE THE PHANTOM HORIZONTALLY AND THEN VERTICALLY UNTIL THE LIGHT CHANGES EACH TIME. MY MOTORS WHERE DOING WEIRD THINGS AFTER THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE UNTIL I RE-DID THESE STEPS. HOPE THAT HELPS.

freelanceshots said:
YOU WANT THE MIXER TYPE THAT REPRESENTS THE X SHAPE. ALSO MIGHT TRY THE COMPASS CALIBRATION AGAIN WHERE YOU FLICK THE GPS SWITCH 10 TIMES AND THEN ROTATE THE PHANTOM HORIZONTALLY AND THEN VERTICALLY UNTIL THE LIGHT CHANGES EACH TIME. MY MOTORS WHERE DOING WEIRD THINGS AFTER THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE UNTIL I RE-DID THESE STEPS. HOPE THAT HELPS.

Well, so far no luck. I made sure I had it configured as Quad Rotor X setting, and then re-ran the Advanced IMU recalibration routine. I then took it outside to re-calibrate the compass settings. All the configuration and re-calibration settings seemed to have took. The indicator lights signaled they were happy with the compass settings and I had full GPS satellite coverage.

When I started armed the motors, only M1, M3 and M4 continued to work fine, however, my M2 motor just limped along like it did before.

I'm starting to question whether they really do a system test at the factory?

It's too bad that for all the functionality on the Nazem program, that it doesn't have a screen to show any diagnostics for the motors them selves.

Fortunately, I purchased it through Amazon.com, and they have a pretty good return/replacement policy.

Thanks for your quick responses and assistance!

-Todd

Amazon has a really good return policy but sucks that you can't fly it and have to wait for another.

Since you did all you can with the software, I think that motor's esc is defective.

last month I decided to change a few of my motors, bought some brand new ones from a local store and connected them up.
- only one of them did the exact same thing that you're experiencing - it only shuddered a bit and that was it.

So my guess is you very well might have a defective motor, especially if all the EXC lights appear to light up properly.

must be totally frustrating having a new toy that doesn't work, but hopefully you can get a replacement in a reasonable amount of time.

Audaciter said:
It is either a defective esc, or motor. Do yourself a favor, and send it back.

I first of all want to thank everyone for their quick responses and support. Although my first experiences with the Phantom haven't been the best, I know that once my replacement comes, it'll be worth it! I've been cutting my teeth on the AR.Parrot for the past few months and had hoped that the legal issues with the Apple people had worked out, but fundamentally the technology is flawed. My experience with the inadequate WiFi capabilities of either cell phones or even modified repeaters started to make me wish I had paid the few extra (hundered) dollars for the Phantom in the first place. We'll okay, plus the cost of the Gopro Camera brought the investment (hobby, or sickness as my family calls it) up a bit!

The new one should arrive on June 3rd, so I guess I'll have to leave work a little early to try it out!

Best regards,

Todd
:D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1