New Zealand NFZ, require advice.

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently was asked by a firm working within the NFZ at NZCH to video and take still aerial shots. My flight plan was accepted by ATC to operate within the NFZ however I was never aware that the drones will not take off if you are in the NFZ.

The problems I am having is :
- DJI is not allowing my flights to be confirmed because I do not have the "required" paperwork and requires a 5 day period for the information to be processed.
- ATC will only clear my drone usage with in 24 hours of submitted flight plans. Making it impossible to ever get a unlock from DJI.

I have read a lot of threads about rolling back software etc to bring back the enable / disable GPS option, however it will still not allow the drone to launch within the NFZ. I am operating on both Android and IOS systems so if anyone has a version that actually allows the drone to fly I would love to know which correct version I should be rolling back too.

Has anyone found a way to avoid this or am I SOL? I am will be losing a valuable client if this persists.

Would love to hear any suggestions.

- Subdash
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

Did you try turning off GEO in the app?
Are you in a DJI red zone or yellow zone? Yellow zones do not require 5 day paperwork. You only need to prove your legitimacy if your account through a credit-card, or email or text message (can't remember which). Once your DJI fly safe account is validated, you can authorize yellow zones in the field through the app if you have internet there or you can get an authorization code online and off site to be used in the app once you are in the field.
A red zone usually won't be allowed but I guess they have a manual process to handle that.

It's about 200m inside the Red Zone. The current version of the App's does not offer the chance to turn off GEO. What version of the app are you using?

It is a little frustrating when the drone maker will not let you fly in a zone when the ATC say it is ok.

Gee, either they removed the option or it only shows while connected to the RC/AC.
Currently on latest Android Go 3.1.5.

Have you contacted support at [email protected]? In a similar case inside the red zone they requested some kind of official paper to be provided to them. Can't you email them with your airport clearance?

Also there is no feasible way to avoid Geofencing

Have you contacted support at [email protected]? In a similar case inside the red zone they requested some kind of official paper to be provided to them. Can't you email them with your airport clearance?

Also there is no feasible way to avoid Geofencing

The issue I am having is I can only get Airport clearance a maximum of 24 hours a head of scheduled flight, and the DJI team can take up to 5 days to clear it on their end. I think they just need a better system in place for flight applications that allows the Air Authorities in the country they are being used in to unlock them rather than the DJI team.

I guess DJI is not very eager to promptly respond to such individual cases, which honestly are rare cases, where the approval has to override their own geofencing. Their world wide reputation of building drones that will create no 'disturbancies' in sensitive zones, is more important than pleasing rare customers that wish to fly based on exceptions.

If NZCH is a valuable client for you, that will bring you long term partnership, and there will still be a major dicrepancy btw the 24 hrs clearance ATC gives you vs the 5 days DJI is asking, then the solution seems to be nothing else than buying a non-geofenced drone. It will pay itself.

However, as cadm8 already suggested, try sending the approval NZCH ATC issued you to DJI's above given address [email protected]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20