New Zealand - confused by rules

Reaction score
New Zealand's rules seem rather vague. Am I right in thinking that if I obtain a Part 102 accreditation, I will be allowed to fly within the 4km radius of an aerodrome?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have mate yeah - but thanks for the reply.

One of the conditions in flying near a a-drome is;

A Pilot Qualification (from an Approved Person or Organisation).

Would this include a part 102 cert? I think it would but I'm not certain.

Part 102 is not easy, quick or cheap. Getting it just to fly near an aerodrome is not practical. You can fly 101 within 4km of an aerodrome with uncontrolled airspace if you stay in sheltered airspace (source: CAA). Out of courtesy, let the aerodrome controlling authority know beforehand. I have discussed this from the local Council, they only asked that I let them know if I plan to fly in the 4km zone. However, I just avoid it, there's heaps of great flying opportunities here that are nowhere near the aerodrome.

Last edited:
Hi there, sorry to jump on this thread but wanting some guidance. I'm on holidays in NZ and just got told off by a local from flying at night and also for flying over lands that are owned. I checked on the Airshare website and it states the following rules:
  1. have consent from anyone you want to fly above

2. have the consent of the property owner or person in charge of the area you are wanting to fly above.
Does that mean every time I want to fly over; consent must be given by the Council or owners:leasers? It seems almost impossible especially when travelling...

Thanks

If you fly over land, you do need the owners permission. If that is council land, you need their approval.

That said, a lot of councils have given blanket approval as long as you follow the legal requirements. There is a list of those on the Airshare website, but it is not complete - for example, Dunedin City Council is missing, but have blanket approval.

Yes, it certainly would be tricky while travelling. And the local was right, you can't fly at night.

Other main points for NZ are that you must have a visual on the bird at all times, it must be daylight, and if you are in restricted space you can only fly in sheltered airspace - in other words, below the tallest object within 100 metres.

Generally, it seems as long as you are behaving responsibly, most people will be ok with you.

Enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sorry, forgot to add that it is vital you check the maps on Airshare for restricted airspace or no fly zones - for example, there are no fly areas around certain wildlife areas that you might otherwise think would make great footage.....

Reactions: clive.copeman
If you wanted to use drones commercially to check the facades of buildings, you could do so because technically that would be shielded (sheltered airspace). This means you could fly in the CBD, to the height of the tallest buildings there, under part 101. Not that I'd like to without public liability insurance and aviation insurance.

If you fly over land, you do need the owners permission. If that is council land, you need their approval.

That said, a lot of councils have given blanket approval as long as you follow the legal requirements. There is a list of those on the Airshare website, but it is not complete - for example, Dunedin City Council is missing, but have blanket approval.

Yes, it certainly would be tricky while travelling. And the local was right, you can't fly at night.

Other main points for NZ are that you must have a visual on the bird at all times, it must be daylight, and if you are in restricted space you can only fly in sheltered airspace - in other words, below the tallest object within 100 metres.

Generally, it seems as long as you are behaving responsibly, most people will be ok with you.

Enjoy your travels!

Thanks a lot for that KiwiBird, it makes a lot of sense!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj