New Yuneec Bird - How will DJI Counter?

Reaction score
Yuneec has a new bird announced that's seriously taking my attention. Good thing DJI lowered the price to make this more interesting. The Typhoon H is a hexacopter, sports a 360 degree 4k camera, Intel accident avoidance, but at a hefty $1,799 price tag. They apparently demoed it at CES today, will be interesting to see the videos.

Reactions: stulpin300m
To be fair, the RealSense is being billed as an additional module (so, more than $1800 total), but it's still a hexacopter that I believe will come in at a lower price than then the Inspire. I really hope DJI has taken what it's learned about avoidance from the Matrice and puts into something more consumer-friendly.

To be fair, the RealSense is being billed as an additional module (so, more than $1800 total), but it's still a hexacopter that I believe will come in at a lower price than then the Inspire. I really hope DJI has taken what it's learned about avoidance from the Matrice and puts into something more consumer-friendly.
I didn't catch that at first, makes it more disappointing. Still a good looking rig but at DJI's new price points, will be hard to justify.

I just read a fact sheet that made it seem included.

Well, that certainly depends on your use case. Make no mistake, this is more competing with the Inspire, not the Phantom line.

Remember this is a hexacopter. Not to mention the collapsable arms (not on the Inspire) and motor failsafe operation (SORELY needed on all DJI craft) are premium features. Right now, the only thing the Inspire has the advantage on is the camera (and the more mature geofencing system, especially once the new one comes out of beta).

If you're solely in the Phantom market, this probably isn't going to be for you due to cost. If you're looking for more, I have to admit this is quite compelling.

As far as the RealSense, CNET says it's an add-on. They could certainly be wrong. Yuneec's site has yet to be updated.

Even if it were $1K (I personally think that's very much stretching it, but have nothing concrete to go on), that'd still put it on par with the Inspire 1, but again, as a hexacopter with even additional features.

It may not be for you, but it's hard to dismiss it. DJI needs to make jaws drop this week, but I fear they've made all of their announcements already...

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Interesting small hex. It looks good but it appears to still be using wifi and the ST16 controller.
At $1,799 USD it's not in the race against the P3 A & Pro.
And if it's anything like their other offerings, it's going to be pretty slow too.

Yuneec is very good about including extra accessories like cases and batteries in their packages. I bet $1799 is more than just the hexacopter/controller.

Interesting small hex. It looks good but it appears to still be using wifi and the ST16 controller.
And if it's anything like their other offerings, it's going to be pretty slow too.

Just to clarify your point Meta. WiFi not Lightbridge for video monitoring. Limited range for sure but probably in excess of FAA VLOS requirements.

Agreed that this hex is interesting. Especially the added safety that if one motor or prop goes pear shaped, the copter can still maneuver and land safely.

Very interested to see how this pans out (no pun intended).
I have the first Yuneec Q500 Typhoon and love that big lumbering drone. Yuneec prides themselves on not having a problem with fly-aways.
I've always said that is because if you feel like you've lost control of your Yuneec, calmly place the controller down and quickly walk after the drone, reach out and grab it...they are that slow.

Reactions: Meta4
Very interested to see how this pans out (no pun intended).
I have the first Yuneec Q500 Typhoon and love that big lumbering drone. Yuneec prides themselves on not having a problem with fly-aways.
I've always said that is because if you feel like you've lost control of your Yuneec, calmly place the controller down and quickly walk after the drone, reach out and grab it...they are that slow.

A common joke popular with Boeing pilots (and fans) about the Airbus A340: so slow it's vulnerable to birdstrikes from behind.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
If this Yuneec Hex has a 1 mile Range and also has an included Backpack case i am Sold and will have this thing Day one. With Intel Onboard the Drone game with Yuneec I am very Confident they will Surpass DJI in terms of Technology

Depending on how well the Wifi actually works, it would be in a good place against the base Inspire.

This is great for everyone. It will force DJI to up the ante as well, (they've already lowered prices, 10th anniversary, yeah right, uh huh). The competition between the manufacturers will cause more features to be added, lower pricing and further development. A win/win for the consumer.

SD

If this Yuneec Hex has a 1 mile Range and also has an included Backpack case i am Sold and will have this thing Day one. With Intel Onboard the Drone game with Yuneec I am very Confident they will Surpass DJI in terms of Technology
Just know that the interlude avoidance doesn't appear to be built in. Also, keep an eye out on Yuneec. Qualcomm has already stated that they will first use their obstacle avoidance chip.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub