New Years fireworks- anyone filming this year?

No. His point was that NO ONE is going to come get you....
Ok to clarify. The local police do not care. The sheriffs do not care. We do not care. Unless, you are doing something really stupid. But you are far more likely to be arrested for a noise violation than you are for flying a drone. That is all.

Now flying a drone, while in a drunken stuper, trying to mow down a group of school kids while running naked through the park.. Maybe gets you arrested.

Again... Be responsible you will not have a problem.

.....so I can't hover 100 ft in the air above a dui check point to record the "action" j/k

The local police here do care. To come see your drone as they think it's the coolest thing ever!

Reactions: m0j0
I would be willing to bet that 95% of the local PD's could care less about drones.

Those are the ones you should worry about. The ones who couldn't care less are the cool ones.

;););):rolleyes:

Local enforcement were just excellent and accommodating to me in a very public venue tonight for new years eve- nice rooftop blast from multiple locations. Two of them hung out with me and I quickly made them my spotters. They loved the phantom in action and were respectful to not interrupt me as I flew. I'm a professional pyrotechnician my whole career and I'm very used to interfacing with all authorities having jurisdiction. Now that I do this end of production, they have even more fun with it. It always makes me chuckle that everyone, even enforcement, gets off on a perfect landing, lol. I wore my faa registration card on a lanyard and although they didn't ask to see it, I flashed it anyway, lol. Heck I paid for it, might as well get some milage out of it. Not only was the whole contingency impressed with how professional I flew, they want me to become involved in their new program for search and rescue with drone support. Even though I'm technically part of production, they don't know me and yet I sought them out for open communication and support. It's a pure pleasure to work together in a positive way, not like it's a bad thing. They liked, learned, and definitely walked away with the attitude we want as pilots. Home run.

Btw, flight done on firmware 1.6. Flies like a dream.

Quick clip before full treatment and sound-

Last edited:
I just did my first fireworks video, bird was with insight the whole time, safe flight, check out the grear result.

Here is the raw version

Nice.

I must have got a different model then yours, because mine came with red and green LEDs that blink and really make it stand out in the dark. And the BLACK'er the night the easier it is to see.
I couldn't agree more. I enjoy night flying and can see the bird (well, birds lights anyway) from a mile away.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Local enforcement were just excellent and accommodating to me in a very public venue tonight for new years eve- nice rooftop blast from multiple locations. Two of them hung out with me and I quickly made them my spotters. They loved the phantom in action and were respectful to not interrupt me as I flew. I'm a professional pyrotechnician my whole career and I'm very used to interfacing with all authorities having jurisdiction. Now that I do this end of production, they have even more fun with it. It always makes me chuckle that everyone, even enforcement, gets off on a perfect landing, lol. I wore my faa registration card on a lanyard and although they didn't ask to see it, I flashed it anyway, lol. Heck I paid for it, might as well get some milage out of it. Not only was the whole contingency impressed with how professional I flew, they want me to become involved in their new program for search and rescue with drone support. Even though I'm technically part of production, they don't know me and yet I sought them out for open communication and support. It's a pure pleasure to work together in a positive way, not like it's a bad thing. They liked, learned, and definitely walked away with the attitude we want as pilots. Home run.

Btw, flight done on firmware 1.6. Flies like a dream.

Quick clip before full treatment and sound-

Very cool!

I am REALLY glad some people did what they wanted to do, and instead of the local police enforcing some heavy handed political laws, everything worked out! Really! I am glad to hear that some peoples police departments have some common sense.

You can't guarantee that everyone's police department doesn't have the time, or will do harass drone owners. If you live in a small, fairly crime free town, the cops likely have time to harass you if they choose to.

I would like to think that there are some federal laws the local establishment would refuse to enforce if they think it is unjust. Of course that is just wishful thinking....

In a concern that is more pressing than drone issues, just last night some idiots were lighting off big mortar fireworks(like the carnivals have) right across the street on the street corner maybe 50 -100 feet in between multiple houses. I don't care that they were lighting off illigal fireworks in the state of Maryland, but I do care that they were so **** careless. Especially since there is a pond with a large field maybe 300 feet down the road were they could have lit them... All it would have taken is one of those mortar tubes to fall over and launch a firework into someones house!

For all you night flyers, I am going to say if you are willing to take the chance, and pay the consequences if you get caught, more power to you! Keep it up, but please be smart and safe at the same time, so there are no MORE knee jerk reactions....

The Suburban Hippie Photographer.

Last edited:
I think law enforcement and emergency services on whole is more positive about drones than we give them credit for because they realize the potential. When it comes to filming fireworks events or any public events you also have to be very wise in your choices. The show I filmed, aerial filming was part of pre planning. The mayor signed off on it as well. I planned that flight carefully during the day so as to avoid risk below. I wouldn't choose to buzz Times Square though. You'd be asking for jail time doing that. So I agree, be very, very smart and don't take unnecessary chances. Not good for any of us.

Because when you are up in the BLACK sky at night, 200 feet or so you can't see it. I want total visual contact with my drone.
Gee, mine has flashy blinking lights on the arms. And color coded so I know which direction it's facing.

Well flew mine anyway. Captured absolutely nothing worth posting. Kept it really close. Was fun.

.....For all you night flyers, I am going to say if you are willing to take the chance, and pay the consequences if you get caught. ...
The Suburban Hippie Photographer.
Getting caught doing what? It's not necessarily breaking any laws.
Flying at sunset and into the evening is beautiful.

My thought was top go with a high ISO, go straight up to 400ft above my house and watch all of the fireworks going off between me and the horizon. Unlike July 4th, you're pretty much guaranteed that at 12:00am you will have shells in the air. Sadly, it was 12:20am that I had this thought.

My thought was top go with a high ISO, go straight up to 400ft above my house and watch all of the fireworks going off between me and the horizon. Unlike July 4th, you're pretty much guaranteed that at 12:00am you will have shells in the air. Sadly, it was 12:20am that I had this thought.
I did just that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl