New WiFi transmitter V3

Reaction score
Hi,

My WiFi transmitter is showing issues of over-heating and it affects the continuous FPV after a few minutes in the air. I can try to heatsink it using thermal paste, or I can just purchase a new unit. Under the new V3 the WiFi module has been upgraded.

Do you know where can I buy this new model of WiFi transmitter?

Cheers,

Charlie

I presume you are referring to the wifi unit with all the holes in the cover? If so, could you take a picture and post for myself and others to see - both the bottom and top.

I haven't seen one yet from any dealer, most pictured are showing the bottom. I have no need, so I haven't called any to confirm the version that they have....

Sorry to hear of your failing wifi module...try reducing the fps to 15 see if that gives you a video feed. FWIW, I had the same issue and reapplying the thermal compound did get me a working solution. As a caution to others, don't allow the bird to idle without air movement for more than 3-4 minutes. Otherwise it's a problem even when properly heatsinked.

Good luck!

Hi RichWest,

Yes, I'm referring to the WiFi unit. I don't have a V3 but a failing V2 and would like to change it for the vented V3. I do have to keep it in 15 fps if I want it to work for some minutes. It works again after it cools down.

I haven't found a source for the reworked V3 WiFi module yet.

Cheers,

Charlie

I had the V2 and vented mine. I don't have a drill press. I just put it on a board and used a hand drill. The end result was a mess. A bunch of irregular holes that reflected RF all over the inside of my bird and wrecked the GPS signal. I eventually just used copper tape and closed up all the holes. I think the heat sync paste is your best bet unless you have some way to make very small regular holes.

I drilled mine out and it was a mess, but was able to bring back a working solution. Had to flatten it out with a piece of wood, hammer and a very flat surface.

FWIW, the process to make the wifi module's case is a really interesting process. Ideally having a unit made from this process would be the best solution by far. I've inquired to a manufacture for a replacement cover, but the holidays has me at a stand still for an answer. Ballpark price would be about $20-30 USD on small quantities of 100 or less.

I believe the alternative solution at placing holes, for existing modules, is by punch and die. I've looked into available products and there is one with 3/32 size punch and die. My thought is that the setup would be less likely to deform the thin material. It really depends on the tolerance between the punch and die. I've spoken to a machinist friend and he can make a setup to punch all the holes in one operation. Again cost is a factor for the setup. But we've determined there is no need for it to be made from tool steel, which lowers the cost further.

Having RB's results, makes the idea not worth pursuing. Just wish someone would send me a few burnt out wifi modules to run further test...proof of concept. Mine works without issue BTW...

Well... I applied Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 on the WiFi module this afternoon. It needs to cure for about 25 hours to work as its intended. I tested it at 30 fps and it worked for good part of the first battery, then it froze and I lost video feed. Brought down the quad and recycled, the image came back. By the end of my 2nd battery it worked even better. I will be able to test it thoroughly this weekend and will let you know.

In the process of heat sinking the module, I took it completely apart, even the cover with the 5 small pins. I applied a generous dose of the thermal paste and closed it with care. If this doesnt solve the video freeze situation I will just go ahead and order a new WiFi module.

Cheers,

Charlie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20