New vision +.. Not happy..

Reaction score
Just got my new vision 2+ this morning.. Made sure all the updates were in, charged the batteries, went out and did the compass calibration (away from all metal objects).. And this is what I got.. (Please click the gear, and go for at least 720p HD.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TIjNYB ... e=youtu.be .... I've got 2 complaints: 1) there are some weird static lines that are very visible during takeoff, and about 1/2 way through.. They are synced to the engines.. 2) Major toilet bowl effect, just like with my vision 2 (until I rotated the compass) Major left hook, even at very slow speeds, and short distances..
I can't tell you how disappointed I am... Lucky I've got a bit of skill from flying my vision 2, otherwise I could easily have crashed this guy.. It won't hover at all.. Instantly wants to drop into the toilet bowl effect.. I tried recalibrating.. Did the basic and advanced IMU .. No luck.. Just waiting to hear back from flyingcameras in Chilliwack..
What's really aggravating, is a friend, who lives 200 miles North of me, with a slightly higher compass declination number, bought his Vision 2, at the beginning of the year, just like I did.. His hovers perfectly, even though his declination is higher.. He's never had to touch his compass..

The "distortion" you see is nothing more than an artifact of the sun and props. That is why it seems in synch to the motors, it is!! The Vision and Vision Plus cameras are in slightly different locations under the main body and apparently the V+ "sees" this effect where your V does not. Nothing you can do about it, it is simply the physics of the prop arc, camera location and sun location relative to the camera.

Fact is that it's hovering is quite vague...! maybe you should recalibrate... mine was doing a bit of this too, until I recalibrated it.

Doono said:
As previously stated, the "static lines" are prop shadow. Have to be aware of the sun's position when filming.
However, they show up again, on the bigger building, and off on the sides, when I'm at right angles to where they first appeared.. I could see the sun effect from one location, but not in another different compass quadrant.. Looks more like motor interference on the video screen.. I'd like to see someone post an example.. I don't recall seeing this on any posted videos..

sergekouper said:
Fact is that it's hovering is quite vague...! maybe you should recalibrate... mine was doing a bit of this too, until I recalibrated

I calibrated, I did a basic and advanced imu calibration.. The truth is, I didn't let the toilet bowl effect go too far, due to the close proximity of the trees..

obiwan_pierogi said:
Doono said:
As previously stated, the "static lines" are prop shadow. Have to be aware of the sun's position when filming.
However, they show up again, on the bigger building, and off on the sides, when I'm at right angles to where they first appeared.. I could see the sun effect from one location, but not in another different compass quadrant.. Looks more like motor interference on the video screen.. I'd like to see someone post an example.. I don't recall seeing this on any posted videos..

The "lines" are the shadows from the props hitting the lens. Not motor interference.

Grab some duct tape, make a little lens hood and you won't see the "motor interference" anymore.

Case closed.

shrill mute said:
obiwan_pierogi said:
Doono said:

The "lines" are the shadows from the props hitting the lens. Not motor interference.

Grab some duct tape, make a little lens hood and you won't see the "motor interference" anymore.

Case closed.

That's ridiculous.. One shouldn't have to be mucking around with duct tape, after blowing 1500 bucks.. Show me some examples..

obiwan_pierogi said:
shrill mute said:
obiwan_pierogi said:

Case closed.

That's ridiculous.. One shouldn't have to be mucking around with duct tape, after blowing 1500 bucks.. Show me some examples..

Sorry. The case is closed. See above.

There are many threads about prop flutter/prop shadows on the lenses of GoPro, Vision, and Vision + cameras. Time to do some homework about your "motor interference." Mr. Google is there to help you.

If you expected perfect video regardless of conditions you made a HUGE mistake buying the Vision+ since even in ideal conditions the video quality is relatively low. Bummer.

Sorry. The case is closed. See above.

There are many threads about prop flutter/prop shadows on the lenses of GoPro, Vision, and Vision + cameras. Time to do some homework about your "motor interference." Mr. Google is there to help you.

If you expected perfect video regardless of conditions you made a HUGE mistake buying the Vision+ since even in ideal conditions the video quality is relatively low. Bummer.[/quote]

All I'm looking for is some examples.. I just tried numerous searches for this problem on the vision 2+, and haven't found anything.. Like a friend of mine, who also flies these copters said: "it doesn't look like prop flutter to me.." I just want to be sure..

Contrary to what the previous poster say, with his "case closed", I can't find anything on the internet with regards to what my video shows.. There's one youtube that describes a flickering which can happen when the props get between the sun and the lens.. Then they talk about a hood.. On my video, however, the effect takes place at two different times, when the camera is pointed at right angles to the other.. Moreover, if you slow the video down to 1/4 speed, you can see a black bar moving up the screen, which is more indicative of electrical interference.. I would like to see some posted videos of anyone experiencing this phenomena, as I can't find any other reports on it, using a google search..

Had the same thing happen to me when I had the P2V with Rotorpixel gimbal. Was gonna write a long email to Keri about the interference but I soon found that the fix for it was a lens filter to cut out the prop shadows/artifacts. I dont have a video...but here's another thread with the same problem and fix.

viewtopic.php?t=901&p=6321

Here's another good video with explanation of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyl_6E9QmZ4[/youtube]

obiwan_pierogi said:
Just got my new vision 2+ this morning.. Made sure all the updates were in, charged the batteries, went out and did the compass calibration (away from all metal objects).. And this is what I got.. (Please click the gear, and go for at least 720p HD.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TIjNYB ... e=youtu.be .... I've got 2 complaints: 1) there are some weird static lines that are very visible during takeoff, and about 1/2 way through.. They are synced to the engines.. 2) Major toilet bowl effect, just like with my vision 2 (until I rotated the compass) Major left hook, even at very slow speeds, and short distances..
I can't tell you how disappointed I am... Lucky I've got a bit of skill from flying my vision 2, otherwise I could easily have crashed this guy.. It won't hover at all.. Instantly wants to drop into the toilet bowl effect.. I tried recalibrating.. Did the basic and advanced IMU .. No luck.. Just waiting to hear back from flyingcameras in Chilliwack..
What's really aggravating, is a friend, who lives 200 miles North of me, with a slightly higher compass declination number, bought his Vision 2, at the beginning of the year, just like I did.. His hovers perfectly, even though his declination is higher.. He's never had to touch his compass..
The toilet bowl effect could be caused by a loose flight controller... You could open it up and ensure the board is secured... or you could send it back to DJI or your dealer and wait a few weeks for a new one...

Some people on here are very quick to generalize an issue and just say "this is what it is" so I watched your video very closely and I have to agree that the effect you are getting is shadows on the lens from the props. Generally, this only happens when the props are between the sun and the camera. However, looking at your video, the clouds are extremely reflective and throwing bright light from multiple directions, this is why you are getting the effect in different orientations. The simple fix is to make a little lens hood as suggested above. I know that a little duct tape "shouldn't" be needed but this system was designed as a hobby device, not a professional video platform so some sacrifices had to be made in the design and one of them was the position of the camera further back under the body than would be ideal for shooting video. It is what it is and if you want better looking video than some tweaks need to be made.

Case closed>

If you expected perfect video regardless of conditions you made a HUGE mistake buying the Vision+ since even in ideal conditions the video quality is relatively low. Bummer.

Sorry, case not close !
The interferences we're talking here are not prop shadows, this interference is covering a bigger area than the props entering the top of the picture. They are directly related to the speed of your rotors, the position in the sun, determining the speed of your shutter, the whole thing creating this flickering effect. So apparently some have to redo their homework here.! :lol:

Thanks for the response.. You are probably correct.. It just bothers me when posters are so matter of fact in their response, without backing it up.. Take for example the left hook/toilet bowl effect.. This is a well known problem that dji is trying to figure out.. Just bothers me, that I have to rotate my compass, when this friend, just a few hundred miles away, who basically bought his vision2 at the same time, and place as I, has no problem hovering perfectly still.. I was really hoping that it was actually my PV2 that was at fault, but now I see this PV2+ acts identical.. Great to see on another thread that DJI has commandeered a few of the guys here to test something out, which may solve that problem.

sergekouper said:
Sorry, case not close !
The interferences we're talking here are not prop shadows, this interference is covering a bigger area than the props entering the top of the picture. They are directly related to the speed of your rotors, the position in the sun, determining the speed of your shutter, the whole thing creating this flickering effect. So apparently some have to redo their homework here.! :lol:

Nobody said it was the props entering the top of the picture. Bright light from above, such as the highly reflective clouds in his video, will create a strong overhead light source, the props will then cast shadows onto the lens. This effect can cover the entire field of view depending on the angle. This is what appears to be happening. I would bet if he flew in different lighting conditions, his results would be different.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub