New version of .DAT converter

GREAT......a early Christmas present. Thank You!

For those who may not know, DatConverter (and DatKML) is run from a command line interpreter like MS Command Prompt or bash. I.e. mouse clicking it won't have any effect. The required command line arguments are described in the "Offline tools" section on the website flylog.info I've copied some of that below

Command line arguments

DatConverter is controlled by using command line arguments. The input file must be specified and, optionally, the directory that will contain the output can be specified. The remaining arguments provide the means to restrict the output by selecting just those data that are of interest.

-f <.DAT file name> required; e.g. -f FLYLOGS/FLY321.DAT the file FLY321.DAT in the FLYLOGS directory
-d <output directory> ; e.g. -d .. output will go one level up
-t <tick# range> ; e.g. -t {3821:5601} include just records with tick#s between 3821 and 5601
-fp <filePos range> ; e.g. -fp {4213:444561} include just records between file position 4213 and 444561

The range arguments can have one or both limits blank.
{:4481} is equivalent to {0:4481} and {3325:} is equivalent to {332: infinity}

DatKml requires the -f argument and the -d argument is optional.

Fantastic! Did you manage to find Flight mode in the logs yet?

Hi Bud, the .dat file must be recovered using usb from the aircraft, correct? Any chance a similar offline tool is available for the .txt log stored in the App? I'm guessing the .dat log holds more information than the .txt log? Regardless, a similar offline tool for the .txt file would be nice. Currently all the converters I have found are web based and thus could easily be out of ones control at any minute.

A simple utility that would read the .txt file and add it's data points to an existing summary spreadsheet (Flight Log) would have some value, especially for commercial operators. The fancy online data rendering Apps (e.g. HealthyDrones) are fine for what they do. But a simple log book compiler would be awesome. I wish I had the skills necessary to pull it off, but sadly it would take me forever. If you ever do something like this, please ping me.

Anyway, Thank you!

Hi Bud, the .dat file must be recovered using usb from the aircraft, correct? Any chance a similar offline tool is available for the .txt log stored in the App? I'm guessing the .dat log holds more information than the .txt log? Regardless, a similar offline tool for the .txt file would be nice. Currently all the converters I have found are web based and thus could easily be out of ones control at any minute.

A simple utility that would read the .txt file and add it's data points to an existing summary spreadsheet (Flight Log) would have some value, especially for commercial operators. The fancy online data rendering Apps (e.g. HealthyDrones) are fine for what they do. But a simple log book compiler would be awesome. I wish I had the skills necessary to pull it off, but sadly it would take me forever. If you ever do something like this, please ping me.

Anyway, Thank you!
Doesn't HealthyDrones have the capability of downloading a .csv? I know it isn't offline but I'm confident that Eran and his website are going to be around for a long time.

Doesn't HealthyDrones have the capability of downloading a .csv? I know it isn't offline but I'm confident that Eran and his website are going to be around for a long time.

Yes, Eran is doing a great job. And you are correct that a .csv conversion can be downloaded after it is converted on his site.

I am interested in an offline workflow that would take the .txt file > Convert to a summary of the flight...not every data point over time is needed... then adds the summary as a single row in a spreadsheet representing the flight. Each row would hold the summary of each flight. Pretty basic really, but would provide a user controlled logbook of all flight ops.

I have actually brought this up with Eran, and he at least said it was a great idea, but that he has lots of great ideas in mind to keep him busy, lol. I guess the masses really like the wiz-bang stuff, and I do too. But, a simple, concise logbook of all flight ops is also very important to some of us.

For all the dashware fans check this out

Bringing back an old post but tested the new DAT converter with motor RPM data :
New version of .DAT converter | DJI Phantom Forum
Below video made in Dashware including RPM charts for each motor.
If you look at the motor RPM Right Front Chart you will see RPM go up to 10000 just prior altitude loss.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thats the prop flying off.
Here a static test I made to check max rpm at no load (no props).

Instead of actual (not commanded) motor speed data I've found motor load (or resistance) data. I set my P3 up without the props and started the motors. I then moved the right stick into each corner to make the opposite motor rev up. While each motor was revved up I grab the rotor to make it slow down 4 or 5 times. This plot shows the commanded motor speed (blue) and the motor load (red). Note how the load values only got above zero in the segment that I was slowing it down. At other times it's zero even though the motors are running
upload_2015-12-4_11-40-37.png

During a flight the props provide some load. Here it seems to average around 850
capture-20151204-060710.jpg

Without the props the load will be zero regardless of the motor speed. However, at commanded speed of 4,000 (with 10,000 being the max) if the motor has enough load to make it stop the load value will get to about 1,300.
capture-20151204-104038.jpg

It'd be great if somebody who knows more about motor control than I do would take a look and check to see if I've missed something. If you want to experiment with this I've added a version of the converter called DatExp . The MotorLoad values are the last columns in the .csv. You can get this by downloading the Fly.zip from
Dropbox - Fly.zip

BTW, I couldn't figure out how to replace the Fly.zip in the Wiki. Anybody know how to do this?
@Luap, @TheRealNick , @syotr

@Laup, @BudWalker, where can I get a copy of the Gauges seen in the above dashware video's?

Also, has there been any headway gained on the adding the dashware info, yet?

@Laup, @BudWalker, where can I get a copy of the Gauges seen in the above dashware video's?

Also, has there been any headway gained on the adding the dashware info, yet?
Luap is the guy with the dashware profiles. I haven't succumbed to the Dashwarian way yet.

Some other stuff came up. But, I'll get to the dashware extensions soon.

I'm working on the Dashware profile but with new data coming up nearly daily from the dat converter I constantly need to update, check, update :)

I'm working on the Dashware profile but with new data coming up nearly daily from the dat converter I constantly need to update, check, update :)

Hopefully that data will continue coming up as the days come and go. I'd like to help out at some point.

Over in another thread Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise | Page 20 | DJI Phantom Forum it's being discussed that the motor load values are mislabeled. I.e. the columns in the .csv are switched around. I've carefully reviewed the test that I did to determine those labels and they seem correct to me. However, I'll be the first to admit I'm handicapped when it comes to getting things like this correct. Rather than me running the same test, and probably making the same error(s), could someone else do their own independent test.

I'd like to request that replies to this post be done here in this thread. Thank you.

@Luap, check the negative value in the front right motor load data which just before the 10,0000 command on same motor. This anomaly is only at that time which kind of makes me think Bud has those two mapped correctly....

I also appreciate the work you all have done. I hope that we will be able to have actual evidence of what is causing failures. If I had a P3, I would try to make a prop fly off from active braking just to see what the data file would look like.
I have had two prop loss incidents and both were ESC problems. If the first case, one motor wire had disconnected, in the second case, a bit of loose solder had shorted out the ESC.

Does someone know what
velN(M/S) velE(M/S) velD(M/S) stands for?
Was checking out this dat, and for some reason VeIN just stops at 2/3rd of the flight .
What a weird flight/crash

Reactions: BudWalker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic