New v2.1 ESC Info from DJI

Reaction score
I spoke with the Service Manager at DJI this afternoon for a good while. He says that regardless of what you see printed in the ESC label or anywhere else, if the cylinder on the ESC's have a Yellow Mark they are updated v2.1 ESC's and your quad will be good to go.

So I have now got this issue defined to the point that we need to see a Yellow Mark on the cylinder appearing thing. This should help clear the minds of an even larger group of V3 owners now. Hope this info helps.

flyNfrank said:
I spoke with the Service Manager at DJI this afternoon for a good while. He says that regardless of what you see printed in the ESC label or anywhere else, if the cylinder on the ESC's have a Yellow Mark they are updated v2.1 ESC's and your quad will be good to go.

So I have now got this issue defined to the point that we need to see a Yellow Mark on the cylinder appearing thing. This should help clear the minds of an even larger group of V3 owners now. Hope this info helps.

That's what I was told too. Blue and red = bad, yellow = good. Mine was checked in at DJI today.

:D
Good to know!
A friend of a friend is looking to buy. Still don't think the solid motor wire connection to the ESCs is comforting.

MHL

So if u don't are they providing new escs? I got my 2nd one 2 WEEKS AGO and it has 2.0s I will have to check the cylinder. I have about 25 flights no issues

copied from GPS connector post... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912&start=170 and is as follows...

"Frank, Going to ask another question, and throw a monkey wrench into the works on this safety concern of many. Nobody what a 1+ kilo brick falling from the sky's and I've been looking at this thread for a while.

Today while looking at a friends V2+V3 fresh from Amazon and checking the GPS connector, adding the "wire tire wedge" my summary and concern is noted below.

1st, by all reports from DJI, its all good, serial #, perforated WiFi cover, ESC 2.1, the "yellow dot" on the capacitor (cylinder in your post), made sure wires on not resting on Mosfets etc... but,

2nd - what is of concern is what appears to be premature aging on one of the four Mosfets on each ESC as shown in the picture below. These devices regulate current/ power to the motors and the "white" you see on top of the one highlighted with same similar scorching seen on same location/ Mosfet on the 4 ESC's leads me to believe it is an underrated component choice or designed at the limits of the component with no safety margin. The mark shown is not dye or ink but discoloration of the component package itself due to excessive heat.

Granted, I could be wrong as the last time I built a 92% efficient switching power supply was in 1983 so all I ask is somebody of knowledge or a DJI lurker review the pic below and reply."

ESC%20V2V3_zps4ztkvl5o.jpg

Attachments

• esc 2.1.jpg
    esc 2.1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 812
catchingchrome said:
So if u don't are they providing new escs? I got my 2nd one 2 WEEKS AGO and it has 2.0s I will have to check the cylinder. I have about 25 flights no issues

They are not providing ESC's in the way of sending you replacements, no. Should you call and get a RMA when you get it back you will have new ESC's with a v2.1 label. They will also upgrade your wifi module while they have it. It will have the numerous vented holes when you get it back. In the US. right now LA's turn around time for the parts I just mentioned is 14 days or less door to door. Pretty good considering.

mad in nc said:
copied from GPS connector post... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912&start=170 and is as follows...

"Frank, Going to ask another question, and throw a monkey wrench into the works on this safety concern of many. Nobody what a 1+ kilo brick falling from the sky's and I've been looking at this thread for a while.

Today while looking at a friends V2+V3 fresh from Amazon and checking the GPS connector, adding the "wire tire wedge" my summary and concern is noted below.

1st, by all reports from DJI, its all good, serial #, perforated WiFi cover, ESC 2.1, the "yellow dot" on the capacitor (cylinder in your post), made sure wires on not resting on Mosfets etc... but,

2nd - what is of concern is what appears to be premature aging on one of the four Mosfets on each ESC as shown in the picture below. These devices regulate current/ power to the motors and the "white" you see on top of the one highlighted with same similar scorching seen on same location/ Mosfet on the 4 ESC's leads me to believe it is an underrated component choice or designed at the limits of the component with no safety margin. The mark shown is not dye or ink but discoloration of the component package itself due to excessive heat.

Granted, I could be wrong as the last time I built a 92% efficient switching power supply was in 1983 so all I ask is somebody of knowledge or a DJI lurker review the pic below and reply."

Shame you didn't attach the images so the could be enlarged. I don't see DJI doing anything about ESC components showing signs of stress. They will indeed need to fail in order to get the attention of the service tech. And then it will go into what actually caused that part to fail. I personally have been into Motorcycle Drag Racing the past 35yrs so I do not have a long term R/C Hobbyist back ground. But I do take whatever I'm into very serious. However, I did speak with some who has been flying for many years about a week ago. And he made the comment on how so many that have came into the hobby over the past 118-24 months have a misconception that electronic parts will last a lifetime. He talked about how he use to only get 15 flights out of esc's and needing to replace them, as well as other parts. He did say that we really are not that far away from having those super long lasting parts. It's due to so many new industry types that bring along the better technology. In the meantime we'll just need to be a little patient and we'll have those super quads we're wanting now. Btw, the prices for everything in this industry will begin to drop considerably per the competition between each other.

mad in nc said:
Note that DJI coats their circuit boards (somewhat sloppily) with some kind of clear coat. Make sure this isn't what you're seeing.

If true, the yellow dot aspect can be checked without even opening the drone up. If you shine a torch into the vents on one of the arms of the drone into the set of vents that is behind you as a viewer rather than in-front (if you shine a torch into the vents in-front you won't see anything clearly except the wires), it will nicely illuminate the area of the ESC with the capacitor. And I can clearly see yellow dots on mine (new serial batch stating 646).

mad in nc said:

I have a non-Vision P2 v2 (equivalent to the newest Vision v3), but I have ESC 2.0 (as labeled on each ESC and as marked by the blue dot). I have about 20 flights on my belt and my MOFSETs are also showing signs of wear:

l5ghuxR.jpg

0fnq4Gg.jpg

m68MGdQ.jpg

ZqOjVWT.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34908

Interesting on the ESC 2.0s that it's the bottom right MOSFET that is discolouring but on the ESC 2.1s it's the bottom left MOSFET. The question is, is it really a life threatening issue. I have seen circuit designs before where the ICs package discolour over months/years but they never actually fail

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan