New users read this ...recommended take off area

Reaction score
yours truly is looking forward to the advice this group will hopefully offer.

Read an. Re read, pilot error seems over whelming

For a fail safe (rule of thumb).

Your return to Home option.

What is the recommended cleared area for a safe return to home. If x is the take off point, the nearest obstacle should be at least how far away.

The positional accuracy spec. is +/- 1.5 meters.
Test it out a few times in an open field/location to get a feel and confidence in it.

Reactions: jcknows0
The positional accuracy spec. is +/- 1.5 meters.
Test it out a few times in an open field/location to get a feel and confidence in it.

I'm surprised so if I have a 60 ft trees surrounding me which is typical of my area trees vs buildings that 10/12 foot circle works. Ok thanks

Also learn about setting the RTH height so that you are returning higher than anything around you such as the trees you mentioned.

Another thing to look into is GPS availability amongst the 'forest'. Sometimes when surrounded by tall trees the view of the sky is limited thus limiting satellites that are 'visible'.

Not just height of trees, but also terrain. I live in NH and most trees in my area average over 75 feet. With elevation changes the RTH is much higher. It is very easy to travel out a quarter mile and have the elevation change by 500'. For this reason I cannot fly far, except at the sea coast. Going to take it up a mountain soon and see how it it is taking off 1500' up.

Also learn about setting the RTH height so that you are returning higher than anything around you such as the trees you mentioned.

Another thing to look into is GPS availability amongst the 'forest'. Sometimes when surrounded by tall trees the view of the sky is limited thus limiting satellites that are 'visible'.

Help me if I make my question understandable Are you saying if I'm in a clearing and I have a 3 1/2 meter circle. Give another 3 meters make it 10 meter circle. At the edge of the circle are 100 ft pines. Will the unit clear the pines hover over my imaginary circle which I indicate as my return to home spot and descend to this circle

Is that correct

That's how it's supposed to work......if you have the RTH height set correctly. Test in a large field till you're comfortable with it.

Rich,

RTH height is the height it will climb to if it is below the set height when the RTH process begins. If above the setting it will remian at that height as it travels to Home. Once there it will pause then slowly begin descending to the home point which is where you took-off (unless you reset it, but that's for another day).

But dealing with close by, tall trees can really complicate things since each situation is different. Use the simulator or go to a open space and test. It's the only way you'll be sure that you understand it.

Help me if I make my question understandable Are you saying if I'm in a clearing and I have a 3 1/2 meter circle. Give another 3 meters make it 10 meter circle. At the edge of the circle are 100 ft pines. Will the unit clear the pines hover over my imaginary circle which I indicate as my return to home spot and descend to this circle

Is that correct

It depends...you need to be aware of the P3's distance from you.

If the P3 is farther than about 20m away from you and you initiate RTH, the P3 will turn to face the home point, ascend to the predetermined RTH altitude, and then fly directly to the home point and land itself...my experience has been it is usually within about 2m accuracy.

HOWEVER, if the P3 is LESS THAN about 20m from you, it will land exactly where it is and not return to your "imaginary home circle" you have established. If it is within 20m and you try to initiate RTH over nearby trees, it will land right on top of them.

The P3 does not fly to the home point if RTH is initiated within 20m of the home point...it just comes right down...possibly outside your imaginary circle. Practice with it in a wide-open area with no trees to see how it works. Initiate RTH at 50m and observe, and then again at 15m and observe.

Don't forget to set your RTH altitude to be higher than any nearby obstructions!

Reactions: SirAchie
Good points RF.

Why not just use RTH until it is easily visible then cancel and resume control? As long as it is high enough when it is far away it's easy enough to land (or catch) once it's overhead.

If you are a new flyer and just getting used to the Phantom, you really need to keep well away from trees.
Trees are your number one enemy.
They will grab your Phantom and eat it.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees.
Do your early flights in a large, open area well away from trees and buildings.
Learn to fly in the open and, experiment with RTH to understand how it works before you introduce obstacles to the mix.

Reactions: RiskFactor
Multiply meters by 3.28 to get feet.

Divide feet by 3.28 to get meters.

Last edited:
If you are a new flyer and just getting used to the Phantom, you really need to keep well away from trees.
Trees are your number one enemy.
They will grab your Phantom and eat it.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees.
Do your early flights in a large, open area well away from trees and buildings.
Learn to fly in the open and, experiment with RTH to understand how it works before you introduce obstacles to the mix.

Well said. Trees ate my P1 4 times. Little guy was tough, though, and kept right on flying afterward.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj