Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New user curious about best FPV options

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by karmakazi, Jul 12, 2014.

1. karmakazi

Hello, new to the board. I have a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + arriving next week. My dilemma is I don't own a cell phone. My hope is I can pick one up on ebay and the Phantom will work with the wifi on the phone even though I won't have any cell service. From the reading I've done I think I am correct but not certain. I figured there would be people here who can tell me if I am right. Also possibly steer my in the direction of the one that would work the best. Thanks in advance.

2. Dirty Bird

You won't need service, but the phone has to have at least Android 4.0. Without service you will have no maps for using the Waypoint portion of the app.

3. karmakazi

Thanks for the response DB. I have a older itouch and I had read that it works with certain "generations" and I found out mine is too old. When I looked into some customer reviews it appeared people had trouble with losing video while flying. So I figured I would stay away from buying another. I beleive this will be my FPV solution unless I hear from anyone that it's a bad choice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301193043747?ss ... 1423.l2649 Thanks again for the help. The big reason I'm going with the DJI package I ordered is it seems to require the least amount of assembly. Being completely new to the quadcopter world I'm looking for professional results along with a somewhat simple learning curve.

4. nedro018

i would buy a used 7 " tablet with wifi and use that.

i bought a used nexxus 7" tablet on ebay for $100 based on advice from others. i also bought a $10 velcro sun shade for it also on ebay. now, when i also SIT IN THE SHADE OF A TREE, and use that sunshade. also, i have kickass FPV.

some one else posted that the samsung AMOLED tablets have such bright led screens that even in full sunlight they work without shades. price tag is near $400 too high for me as a newbie pilot maybe there will be used ones in another year.

5. karmakazi

Thanks for the info, I might try this on down the road when I am comfortable with everything. I did find a good video on mounting the Nexus on youtube.