New upgrades today?

Reaction score
March 21, 16... Bought new memory card and began traveling from Arizona to California with strategic stops along the way to get some footage on my P3A. Horrible timing as I'm in transit and don't have access to a computer, I get notices on the DJI go app that firmware upgrades are due for the remote, aircraft, and whatever else. It literally would not let me shoot until these upgrades were installed. So my question is is there a way to override or at least postpone the upgrades so that you can shoot from the road what you were planning on?

So my question is is there a way to override or at least postpone the upgrades

Hmmm that really sucks for you out there on the road - talk about lousy timing for ya.

I'm wondering since they warn us to make sure no previous firmware upgrades are on the SD card that if you had the previous version on an SD card if you could pull it out and re-insert it then would that reinstall.........and perhaps "fool" the phantom into thinking it has been upgraded and maybe temporarily remove the notices and allow you to shoot? Like I said I really have no idea...just thinking out loud and wondering if.........

That's quite the camera rig you have there on your forum avatar/pic...........is that for shooting pro sports or movies or what............impressive.

Hmmm that really sucks for you out there on the road - talk about lousy timing for ya.

I'm wondering since they warn us to make sure no previous firmware upgrades are on the SD card that if you had the previous version on an SD card if you could pull it out and re-insert it then would that reinstall.........and perhaps "fool" the phantom into thinking it has been upgraded and maybe temporarily remove the notices and allow you to shoot? Like I said I really have no idea...just thinking out loud and wondering if.........

That's quite the camera rig you have there on your forum avatar/pic...........is that for shooting pro sports or movies or what............impressive.

Hmmm. Good point. I just put a new blank SD card in. Does the SD card in the unit have to contain the latest firmware updates at all times? So every time I change an SD card I have to upload the firmware onto it? Please tell me that's not true...

Please tell me that's not true...

Not as far as I know - what I was wondering is if you had an SD card with the same firmware you have now - and inserted it like you would for an update would the Phantom re-write that same firmware and maybe remove the warning your getting about updating to this latest firmware??

Well on the road that would have been an impossible task. I realized I had no SD card in the unit, and had to scramble to a drug store on a Sunday night and get one. So I put a blank one in and I'm getting all the warnings and I can't fly. Earlier, with no card in there I was flying fine at Lake Pleasant, I just couldn't record anything :( When you go through the motions of putting updated firmware on a card, does the aircraft copy it internally? Or does it have to stay on the card at all times? Sorry for the newbie question.

When you go through the motions of putting updated firmware on a card, does the aircraft copy it internally?

Yup - the firmware is stored in a microcontroller inside the Phantom during upload. There is also a 2nd mini SD card inside the Phantom that stores all your flight records (not really accessible since you have to take it apart to find it). You can fly with no SD card in the Phantom.

The SD card in the Phantom (like the new blank one you installed is for video and photo storage). That slot however is used also for doing your updates on an SD card.

Do you still have your old SD card with a previous firmware stored in the root directory (firmware you have installed now in the Phantom)?

If so, I would give it a shot and go through the usual routine of updating firmware.......I understand you don't have access to a PC or Laptop to confirm the update was successful or not (re: ".txt" file that is generated after an update - that tells you if it was successful or failed).

However maybe give it a shot and fool it into re-doing the update you have already installed.............if you don't have the previous update on an SD card - well I guess your outta luck till you find a PC.

If you do have it....................

1. Turn off Phantom and insert that SD card into the camera SD slot.
2. Make sure the RC is off
3. Power up the Phantom and see if will begin the update process (camera led's blinking red and green and will stop when completed) - takes around 20 - 25 minutes to complete so make sure you have over a 50% charge on the battery.

I'm just wondering if by redoing your previous update if that might help you get back flying again without doing the newest update?

I am pretty sure he doesn't have a card, that's why he bought one at the drug store, the firmware (.bin) file doesn't need to be on the card, the firmware is stored in the Phantom from the card. People Format their SD card before flying. That would erase the firmware (.bin) file. I can't imagine why you can't get around doing an update. If you can fly with out the card, maybe it is the card. Can you format it with the app?

I am pretty sure he doesn't have a card

Yup - I agree, I just thought perhaps he had is old SD card with previous firmware on it and bought a new one so as not to lose the firmware update files on that old one.

Actually I forgot to load the original card before I left for the trip, hence buying the new one. The drug store only had 8 gif micro SD cards so when I installed that the app said "Slow SD Card" so that could be why I was getting the Update warning.

I am pretty sure he doesn't have a card, that's why he bought one at the drug store, the firmware (.bin) file doesn't need to be on the card, the firmware is stored in the Phantom from the card. People Format their SD card before flying. That would erase the firmware (.bin) file. I can't imagine why you can't get around doing an update. If you can fly with out the card, maybe it is the card. Can you format it with the app?
I went on the premise that if you didn't want the update, you don't have to take it. I have done this, and never been grounded because I didn't update. Are there differences between the models of P3's? This would be an argument for not getting an advanced or pro.

so that could be why I was getting the Update warning.

I guess a lot have got the latest firmware update notice - I flew my P3A today and still nothing stating I have to do and update to latest firmware?

That's too bad you got stuck with such bad timing. If you were close by I would met ya with my laptop!

Wonder if it might help to remove and reload the DJI Go app - maybe the notice would disappear??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31