New Tx with wheel question

Reaction score
Can anyone in the know tell me what is the resistance on the potentiometer for the wheel for camera tilt?
On the old unit it was 5K and not sure if it still is on the spring-loaded new unit?
Thank you in advance.

erikgraham said:
cougar said:
Can anyone in the know tell me what is the resistance on the potentiometer for the wheel for camera tilt?
On the old unit it was 5K and not sure if it still is on the spring-loaded new unit?
Thank you in advance.

I don't know, but perhaps this thread (or the video contained in it) would help you: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31761

Thank you for the reply, but there is no information as to what Ohm rating the potentiometer is on the TX, just what he is installing.

I don't think it really matters - it's just a simple voltage divider.

cougar said:
erikgraham said:
cougar said:
Thank you in advance.

I don't know, but perhaps this thread (or the video contained in it) would help you: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31761

Thank you for the reply, but there is no information as to what Ohm rating the potentiometer is on the TX, just what he is installing.

I come from the software world and know embracingly little about electronics, however I thought you might be able to figure it out (or make an educated guess) because his install reduces the speed to 1/3rd. I also thought you might be able to browse to the site of the guy who made the video for more info. Just a guess. Good luck!

SteveMann said:
It seems to matter as some members have used different resistance values with different results than the stock version resulting in a smoother, slower tilt. I modified mine to use a front mounted potentiometer and I have about a 340 degree rotation to move the tilt 90 degrees.

LuvMyTJ said:
SteveMann said:
It seems to matter as some members have used different resistance values with different results than the stock version resulting in a smoother, slower tilt. I modified mine to use a front mounted potentiometer and I have about a 340 degree rotation to move the tilt 90 degrees.

Thank you for the replies, I am quite familiar with the process and am simply trying to find out what the value (K) is on the OEM pot.
I have the older style TX so no access to the unit. I did ask the question to the person in the video and he was nice and answered that he measured it to be 2.4K. Not sure how this was measured hence I am asking here, best would be to have the value measured without any leeds connected to the board or if anyone knows if the value is marked on the pot itself.
Thank you for any information,

cougar said:
LuvMyTJ said:
SteveMann said:

Thank you for the replies, I am quite familiar with the process and am simply trying to find out what the value (K) is on the OEM pot.
I have the older style TX so no access to the unit. I did ask the question to the person in the video and he was nice and answered that he measured it to be 2.4K. Not sure how this was measured hence I am asking here, best would be to have the value measured without any leeds connected to the board or if anyone knows if the value is marked on the pot itself.
Thank you for any information,

You buy the pot in the value you need. And yes, they are usually marked. They come is various value's such as 1K, 2K, 5K, 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K, etc. You will want to look for a 'Linear" pot, not an 'audio' pot. Most people use 5K as I did but I have seen a few 1K pots being used also. I bought mine online but a popular Radio Shack part number is 271-1714 which is a 5k-Ohm 500VDC Linear Taper Potentiometer. Knobs can be bought there also in a variety of styles. It is really an easy project to do. I chose to remove the original pot from the board by de-soldering it vs cutting the legs off of it.

Really appreciate the answers but my question is still, what value is the pot on the wheel on the new tx?
I do understand how this work, and have done many modifications but need the value of the OEM pot for the mod I am working on.
If anybody have access to the new tx and are willing to open it up, on the wheel assembly itself is a cover held by two screws and then the pot can bee seen. Hopefully there is a marking on the pot.

Sorry, totally mis-read your question. Unless they went custom it's a 1K or 5K. My guess is it's a 5K.

So who's got a new style they can crack open and have a look-see? :ugeek:

LuvMyTJ said:
Sorry, totally mis-read your question. Unless they went custom it's a 1K or 5K. My guess is it's a 5K.

So who's got a new style they can crack open and have a look-see? :ugeek:

My entire rig is finally working to near perfection. Though I'd love to be able to help out with this... The chances of my approaching anything even remotely affiliated with my P2V with a screwdriver are slim and none... and Slim just left town... :D :D :D

cougar said:
Really appreciate the answers but my question is still, what value is the pot on the wheel on the new tx?
I do understand how this work, and have done many modifications but need the value of the OEM pot for the mod I am working on.
If anybody have access to the new tx and are willing to open it up, on the wheel assembly itself is a cover held by two screws and then the pot can bee seen. Hopefully there is a marking on the pot.

OK. I'll try it tonight. I'll have no idea what I am doing or looking at but I think I can manage to open the TX up and take pictures. Hopefully there is some kind of marking that helps you. I actually have an extra TX with the tilt wheel, so I won't be risking my working unit. It will probably be pretty late this evening, so hang in there. If you get the answer you are looking for in the meantime, post back here so that I don't open it up for no reason.

erikgraham said:
cougar said:

OK. I'll try it tonight. I'll have no idea what I am doing or looking at but I think I can manage to open the TX up and take pictures. Hopefully there is some kind of marking that helps you. I actually have an extra TX with the tilt wheel, so I won't be risking my working unit. It will probably be pretty late this evening, so hang in there. If you get the answer you are looking for in the meantime, post back here so that I don't open it up for no reason.

Will let you know for sure, and thank you for volunteering.
Here is a photo I grabbed from u-tube of the part in question. Sorry for the bad photo but the video was not any better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 14.25.15.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 14.25.15.png
    255.8 KB · Views: 310
Update: A good fried of mine (RemE) indicate the value to be around 2.3K but would be thankful if you can check and confirm if there is any makings on the pot.
Thank you

I decided to take a quick break and snap the photos for you. Took all of 4 minutes. Unfortunately, I don't think you will find what you are looking for.

You can't really see in these pictures but it looks like there *might* just be some writing under the white stuff where the wires connect. In the photo below I moved the wires aside to reveal what was visible, "3V", but I thought there was a little corner of text sticking out under further down. It was such a small spec of white I could not really tell. Obviously I did not want to peel the white stuff off to check as I might use this TX at some point.

Attachments

• 20150106_152204.jpg
    20150106_152204.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 20150106_151819.jpg
    20150106_151819.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 20150106_151621.jpg
    20150106_151621.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 298
erikgraham said:
Oh, and here is one more where I took off the little plastic cover to see if there was writing underneath. There was not.

Thank you so much Eric, no indications on the grey plastic cover for the pot?

cougar said:
no indications on the grey plastic cover for the pot?

No, i'm afraid not. I did not snap a picture of that, but I did flip the plastic cover (more tan colored than grey) over to check for writing. See my notes in image below.

Attachments

• rtx55558.png
    rtx55558.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 303

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31