New Tracking Device

Reaction score
I jumped in on a crowdsourcing product I stumbled across last year after searching high and low for a low cost tracking device for stuff I tend to misplace or my wife or kids misplace..:confused:

It's called The TrackR and the newest one is the Bravo. It's very small and light and I think it would be perfect for attaching to a copter.

They have two previous models that have been out for a while - I have one on my car keys. It's linked to my phone and if you lose track of one or the other you can use the phone to find the TrackR or the TrackR to find the phone.

Lose them both and you're kinda screwed I guess.

I'm hoping it really takes off in popularity since it's Bluetooth based and works by enlisting other users of the app as beacons so to say...so the more peeps running it the better the network.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's definitely affordable and should get only better over time. Check out this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

These guys are down to earth and I've had a few conversations with them about features they should consider for future models, etc.
TrackR: http://thetrackr.com/?ref_code=N2bfV

Be prepared to be the only one who needs to get within 300 feet of the lost drone. No one else in the area will be running the app. As such, why not simply take your current TrackR and use it on the drone?

Be prepared to be the only one who needs to get within 300 feet of the lost drone. No one else in the area will be running the app. As such, why not simply take your current TrackR and use it on the drone?

Actually, my wife and kids all have the app running. And I plan on giving these as gifts to the rest of my friends I ride with come Christmas, so I'll have a regular posse on hand when I'm flying out in the desert.
I don't need to use the TrackR I put on my keys - I've got a couple extra and the TrackR Bravo is the latest version. It has better connectivity and it's lighter too.

And, yes, very much like the Tile...except Tile is a bit bigger, heavier and it doesn't work in reverse like the TrackR - you can find it, but you can't use it to find your phone.

What it boils down to is which one will become more popular and attract the most users. The more users the bigger the network of locating beacons.

Hmm.. very limited use on a drone though.. especially as it's using BT on 2.4Ghz.

You make a good point.....and If the quad goes down does it still utilize that frequency? Or transmit/ receive at all? Or does that depend entirely on remaining battery life?
Those are the things I guess I'll have to figure out.

The TrackR is a bluetooth beacon - it has no positioning facility itself.. it relies on other phone users with the app running for the beacon to be picked up and relayed from phone to phone and via the Internet. IMHO, to me, it's a total waste of time to track my "drone".

Not the right application for this device.
Don't look for it to do anything but lower flight times.

Not the right application for this device.
Don't look for it to do anything but lower flight times.
Considering it weights a few grams and does not run off the drones battery, it won't decrease flight time. What I'm saying to the OP is to simply use the TrackR he already has. No need to buy the latest one.

Do not waste your time with bluetooth trackers as they are limited to a very small radius. GPS/cell is a more practical way to go.

Does a Bluetooth tracker work when there is no cell service? Like when I'm on the mountain.
I should have a general idea where the bird plopped to the ground.
If I can get within a few hundred feet of it, will I get some kind of signal?

Considering it weights a few grams and does not run off the drones battery, it won't decrease flight time. What I'm saying to the OP is to simply use the TrackR he already has. No need to buy the latest one.

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek meaning it is not effective so why carry it around.

And while all added weight reduces flight time, it's not worth burning calories over.

Does a Bluetooth tracker work when there is no cell service? Like when I'm on the mountain.
Using the popular Tile as an example, as long as you were within 30 feet of it, it should work. At 30 feet I am pretty sure your eyes would work just as well. Tile like trackers are for TV remotes and key rings.

Thanks TJ, guess I will just use my hound dog.

I jumped in on a crowdsourcing product I stumbled across last year after searching high and low for a low cost tracking device for stuff I tend to misplace or my wife or kids misplace..:confused:

It's called The TrackR and the newest one is the Bravo. It's very small and light and I think it would be perfect for attaching to a copter.

They have two previous models that have been out for a while - I have one on my car keys. It's linked to my phone and if you lose track of one or the other you can use the phone to find the TrackR or the TrackR to find the phone.

Lose them both and you're kinda screwed I guess.

I'm hoping it really takes off in popularity since it's Bluetooth based and works by enlisting other users of the app as beacons so to say...so the more peeps running it the better the network.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's definitely affordable and should get only better over time. Check out this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

These guys are down to earth and I've had a few conversations with them about features they should consider for future models, etc.
TrackR: http://thetrackr.com/?ref_code=N2bfV

Sounds like a neat product but... I seriously doubt it's usefulness in locating a lost bird. But I guess if you don't want to spend a bunch on a Flytrex it is better than nothing. Now if they just made something I could attach to my wife that could work in reverse and make her get lost I would go for that!

Reactions: IflyinWY

Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 works between the two devices with no cell service available.

While the general range of the wireless protocol is up to 300 feet, what you won't get is the crowdsourcing feature wherein others who are within range of the TrackR won't be able to upload the location to the website until they connect to the internet.

If it's within 300 ft. you can send a signal to the TrackR to trigger an 85 db ringer. So if it's hidden in bushes or tall grass you have a better chance of locating it.

As I mentioned, This was something I had Already ordered months ago and had already used (having several earlier models) so I'm not buying it specifically for tracking a lost quad - I'm going to use it and see how it works before I drop more money on a more robust tracking device that requires a SIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: IflyinWY
i bought this for my mom, cause she looses her keys and phone all the time. its not very loud. and the range is very limited. it is advertised as 100-300 ft its more like 50.

i bought this for my mom, cause she looses her keys and phone all the time. its not very loud. and the range is very limited. it is advertised as 100-300 ft its more like 50.

Really? Did you get the latest one?

I can see that mine is home from my office 15 miles away through the crowdsourcing feature. I'm running the app on an iPad at home so it relays the location to the web.

The older models aren't as good. I have to re-boot the app every once and a while to get a good location. The new on is the TrackR Bravo.

no i dont think i had the newest on. it was back during xmass, it was only 26 bucks i think. i may have gotten the crappy one. its the smaller round one that hooks up to a keychain. maybe half an inch or so diameter. it may be a good solution. if you have on. go out to a field or wooded area and see how far you can hear it from. also would the bluetooth interfere with any of the other signals, gps or wifi. (i dont think it would personally different frequencies and all) also can you power the Rtrack off of the internal phantom battery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers