new to this hobbie

Reaction score
Been having a look on the site now for a few days and I see there's a lot to take in, been in to rc fixed wing for many years but packed in 10 years ago so all this multi rotor electronic tech is all new to me so I've got one or two questions. I've got myself a p2 and h3-2d gimbal, I am just wondering which p2 I have got, on the under side it has the serial number and it also says V1.0 , not sure what that means, Its has two antennas fitted why two ?
Do I need to do any updating etc before the first flight if I do in what order ? I've read so many answers to this one. Do I fit the gimbal now or leave it off until I've flown it a few times ? Do I register on the DJI site before doing any updates or is that done last like the DJI site says , someone on here said to register first before doing the updates or you will get problems !
O and one more thing can I use Windows Vista for updating ?
Sorry for going on and on :oops:

It's a lot to learn and soak in, that's for sure.

But I would probably say that you should get as much instant gratification as you can, charge up the battery as soon as you get it, read/watch all the videos about flying it and such, and go find an open area to safely learn get familiar with handling and the controls. - don't go crazy and try not to crash.

and then while the battery (or batteries) are charging at home, then go ahead and learn how to update/install stuff.

We sound a lot alike. I am an experienced RC Nitro Heli pilot and haven't flown for over 10 years. I started because i wanted to get into aerial photography. I own a P2 with H2-3D gimbal This is exactly what I did.

1. Bought the Phantom 2 from someone who wanted to upgrade to larger drone. I own a gopro 3+ black. He included gimbal. FPV Hub. iOSD mini. and had custom extended landing struts (omg i Highly recommend this actual one.)
2. I left gimbal off. I watched the videos. Charged up and went for a flight. WOW!!!! This thing is EASY to fly. Kept it on GPS mode and IOC off.

3. I did one more flight. I wanted to fly FPV so I ordered a DJI AVL58 Transmitter with clover leaf antenna. Boscam 7" Diversity Monitor (Built in receiver + Battery). A week later installed the gimbal + Transmitter + iOSD.

4. Today I wanted to test the whole thing out... been windy and cold here in the NE. Did my first 10 min FPV flight today! dude... this crazy fun and easy. I'm sure you will have the same experience.

What is my next step? More flight time. Going to some open areas and different parks in the area to get practice at FPV and aerial filming. I just bought a Custom Pelican Case from acesdeals.biz Check out the Landing gear there. I actually am giving him all my DJI business because the owner is awesome. I wish i bought my P2 from him. He sat on the phone with me for about 45 min. just buying my case! Check out his website and email him with questions and tell him I sent you there. Really cool guy and great service. I need to buy a couple batteries (i only have 1). I want to get some balanced carbon fiber props from acesdeals.biz. I'm learning IOC modes because I think for filming it's probably the way to go. I want to expand later some time to do some BVR (beyond visual range. I don't think DJI has a bluetooth data link i need yet but i'm not ready for that yet.. LOL)

All I can tell you is basically get that thing in the air and don't fret too much. I honestly think I can hand the Tx to anyone and show them how to fly right out of the box. If you have any experience it's a "walk in the park" (although FPV flying is totally different. I keep wanting to look at the P2. LOL).

OH... and I didn't mention. I never messed with the software until today! I had no idea why my on screen display was all messed up. aspect ratio wasn't right and i couldn't see all the data on my screen. So this will save you some headache.

If you want to use the software for any reason. PC: go to dji.com Go to Support. FInd Phantom 2 Downloads. Download all the assistants that you need. ALSO... download the driver.

1. Install driver.
2. Plug in the DJI item you are working with.
3. Run software.

I went nuts until I realized there is a driver that I needed to install on PC

for MAC: no driver needed. Just install software. plug in DJI item. run software. You have to change settings to run software because it's "not apple" authorized or some crap.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately you will need a PC if you ever want to update an iOSD Mini.
I have one and have Parallells running Win8 so i was able to do it.
The iOSD Mini has its own assistant and accompanying driver which are both .exe files.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj