New to the game and already discouraged.

Reaction score
I just received my new Phantom 3 pro from DJI. I have been watching YouTube videos and reading post on the forum while waiting for delivery. I have been hearing watching of calibrating, something about an app, about fly a ways, (very scary), amongst other things. I understand some but very little for this is the first time folling with something like this. I'm thinking I will read the instructions when I receive my ship to learn the do's and don'ts. Wrong. Not much info in the box. Just a book that tells me what are the buttons for the remote. Now back to YouTube to learn how to calibrate, start it, find and use some app I keep hearing about and/or what ever else I am missing. Just opened the box and already have a sensation of regret from purchasing it. Very discouraged.
Heck. Took me a while to figure how to post this. Maybe I'm over my head. Am I the only one that felt or feels like this?

Take a deep breath and relax. Don't fly until you feel you're ready. If you do your first flight and are nervous you may make mistakes. Once you do all your updates, to include the batteries turn everything on and just get use to the DJI Go app. It well tell you everything even if you've missed an update. I would also suggest that you go into the simulator app on iPad or whatever you're using and practice flying with that a few times. And lastly on your first flight gut go to a very open field that'll give you the space to practice.
This is a good forum and a lot of give people that help you.
Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much info in the box. Just a book that tells me what are the buttons for the remote.
You can download the Phantom manual from DJI's website. Check out my list of tips here.

Reactions: David Cohran
I'm a new owner/flier too. Don't get discouraged...just take your time getting everything updated and charged. I had to rely on Google a lot to get info on firmware updates and how to proceed. I unboxed my P3P late morning when I bought it and spent the remainder of the day slogging through the set-up process. Just for your info, the phantom is really easy to fly when you have good GPS signal. Watch the DJI "how to" videos and go have fun!

One piece of advice that I was given (I am only 2 weeks into owning my first quadcopter) was to go to a football field to practice. Stand on the 50 yardline, practice flying between the 40 yard lines. Stay around 8-10' in the air, and gradually work out to the 30's, 20's, etc. As you get more comfortable, go slightly higher. This has been a great help to me getting used to the orientation of the quad. While you are practicing, start with flying in straight lines, then gradually work into learning more circular flight patterns.

pretty soon you will be flying like this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: David Cohran
Always remember that people come here to get help with there problems. So if things feel a little gloomy around here, just remember that most users have good experiences. Don't worry! You'll do great!

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just received my new Phantom 3 pro from DJI. I have been watching YouTube videos and reading post on the forum while waiting for delivery. I have been hearing watching of calibrating, something about an app, about fly a ways, (very scary), amongst other things. I understand some but very little for this is the first time folling with something like this. I'm thinking I will read the instructions when I receive my ship to learn the do's and don'ts. Wrong.

Hi David. You're going to make it. Take a look around here everyday, keep studying, and remember these people here are your friends!

Hook up with someone in your area with experience and have the supervise your first flight if you are having so much apprehension.

Reactions: Shaba
Most pilots have never experienced a fly away. Try to relax and take it one step at a time. There's a lot to learn but it's fun.

Reactions: MrTommy
I just got my new PHANTOM 3 advance yesterday and its great......pity I can't fly it because there is geofence lock in surrounding me...
It's a bloody joke.spent a fortune on this thing and it won't take off because I live in a authorisation fly zone.
Tried unlocking my area 4 times and it still says I'm in a no fly zone...
Should have bought another drone I think

Don't let a few bad stories freak you out OP. I've had my P3P since September with nearly 3 dozen flights under my belt and not a single problem yet! Just remember, people rarely post if they've had a good flight. It's only when something goes horrifically wrong that they take the time to share it on the forum. Rest easy that a large majority of Phantom flights are safe, ordinary and problem-free.

Just listen to the great people here when they say breathe. Slow down. Don't freak out. Ignore all the "I flew 1 billion miles away!" postings and just focus on learning to fly your bird. With the right prep and maintenance these **** things practically fly themselves.

Over all don't forget to have a good time and post up whatever fantastic videos you create!

Reactions: TidewaterGibson
pity I can't fly it because there is geofence lock in surrounding me...

Tried unlocking my area 4 times and it still says I'm in a no fly zone...
Should have bought another drone I think

I think almost all the different companies getting in on the act will have the same "Geo-fencing" stuff. My original Blade 180 DX has none of this stuff, but it's definitely entry level (and quieter too!).

Most pilots have never experienced a fly away. Try to relax and take it one step at a time. There's a lot to learn but it's fun.

It's fun when you are allowed to fly. Just be glad you are not in the DC area. I don't know but I think what is happening to the DC area may be a look into the future to RC flying.

i think as long as you acknowledge and accept these reality below, it will put you in right frame of mind:

This is a toy

This toy is relatively expensive

The quality assurance that goes into making this toy is par for toy. My household appliance like oven, microwave oven, TV, or even cell phone will have more strict quality assurance.

The safety standard that goes into these toy is on par for toy. Again, my household appliance will have a higher safety standard.

The performance of this toy is on par for a toy.

As long as you accept that, and flt accordingly, you should be fine.

If you expected it to do more than a toy, you are likely to over estimate its ability and lose it in the process.

Also get a P1 to practice on. I learnt first with a coaxial heli then bought a cp heli and went from there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31