New to the forum

Reaction score
I have a Vision 2 + in the mail, and will be here tomorrow. I'm really excited to try it out and get some solid time in this weekend. Is there a way to find a site of great spots to use the phantom? For instance, I'm located in Virginia, USA. I would love to be able to find good spots to fly that may not be visible from the ground, or well known. Any suggestions on that?

I just fire up Google maps, flip to terrain view, and look for large open areas that look publicish (not someone's backyard). Most of the places I find are large public parks or school fields. The schools are good because there's not much by way of outdoor sports going on this time of year, so in the early evening it's all mine.

Google Maps will soon become your best friend. I travel a lot and every time I'm in a new city I can easily find public parks to fly my Vision+ by just scrolling around satellite view in Goog Maps.

Before you get excited about flight time too soon --- spend a few hours reading the manual front to back, and then practice small maneuvers in an open field with no trees, cell towers, etc. Too many noobs lose their $1,200 machine within minutes because they wont take the time to learn how to fly it.

Find a city park that is rarely used.
Check the AMA website for a list of clubs in your area.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Find a local school with a large open field and ask for permission.
Look around the area for any large cleared fields beside a shopping area.
These are sometimes up for sale and may be available for some use.
But if you get chased out, don't push it.
Check the local farmers. You might find one friendly.
Don't just go flying on someone else's property without permission.
Beaches are a good place too. As long the city allows the use of remote controlled aircraft.

My suggestion would be to practice flying close by first before you get too far away. You'll also need to get familiar with the pre-flight checks required before your Phantom's safe to fly:

Gimbal clamp removed before powering up!
Green flashes indicating satellite and home lock, 6+ satellites in the vision app
All switches in the up position
Compass calibrated before first flight
Motors spinning freely when idling

Also, in my experience, the most common way of the phantom coming to grief is upon landing. It WILL tip over the first couple of times you land so be incredibly careful bringing her down or think about hand catching as tipping shortens the life of your props significantly and it's not too good for the gimbal.

Good luck!

MadMitch88 said:
...Before you get excited about flight time too soon --- spend a few hours reading the manual front to back, and then practice small maneuvers in an open field with no trees, cell towers, etc. Too many noobs lose their $1,200 machine within minutes because they wont take the time to learn how to fly it.
All here very good suggestion on where to fly. Best one was MadMitch88"s above. Also don't wait too long before you buy a good tracker.

Prop guards :cool:

Happyflyer said:
MadMitch88 said:
...Before you get excited about flight time too soon --- spend a few hours reading the manual front to back, and then practice small maneuvers in an open field with no trees, cell towers, etc. Too many noobs lose their $1,200 machine within minutes because they wont take the time to learn how to fly it.
All here very good suggestion on where to fly. Best one was MadMitch88"s above. Also don't wait too long before you buy a good tracker.

a good tracker? What do you mean?

jaywoodz said:
Happyflyer said:

a good tracker? What do you mean?
They are a small device you attach to the quad. They pick up the GPS satellites and if/when you loose your quad, you can call up the device and it will display a map and tell you where your quad is. Several posts about them on this forum.

I wonder if those quick release prop guards will pop off when you run into something solid, like a leg or a power pole? :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4