New to phantoms

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i appreciate your time reading this... I am about to buy the phantom 2, only problem is i have no idea about them.. Well i kind of do... Let me explain what i am trying to do, any maybe someone can direct me the right way... I want to get the phantom 2 with the h3-d3 gimbal, but also, want to hook up fpv. I have watched numerous videos on this so i kind of get it.. Now as far as the fpv goes.. is there a way i can just use my iPad as a display? Instead of buying a black pearl, video transmitter etc? Is that the best thing to do to save some money and then possibly upgrade at a later point? Basically I'm trying to save a little bit of money to begin with, then go from there...

With that being said, lets say i want to go all out. From my current understanding, i would get the black pearl, a video transmitter, and the iosd mini... The mini basically just gives me elevation, battery life, etc.. right? So technically i don't really need that, or does that act as my video transmitter?.. Could i just get this... http://www.amazon.com/Flysight-Black-Pe ... B00MQ6UZS8 and call it a day? Looks like i would need a "hub" as well, I'm guessing that basically hooks this all together? or does the phantom 2 already come with a hub?

So if you were me, how would you attack this?

gagne12isawesome said:
Hey everyone, i appreciate your time reading this... I am about to buy the phantom 2, only problem is i have no idea about them.. Well i kind of do... Let me explain what i am trying to do, any maybe someone can direct me the right way... I want to get the phantom 2 with the h3-d3 gimbal, but also, want to hook up fpv. I have watched numerous videos on this so i kind of get it.. Now as far as the fpv goes.. is there a way i can just use my iPad as a display? Instead of buying a black pearl, video transmitter etc? Is that the best thing to do to save some money and then possibly upgrade at a later point? Basically I'm trying to save a little bit of money to begin with, then go from there...

With that being said, lets say i want to go all out. From my current understanding, i would get the black pearl, a video transmitter, and the iosd mini... The mini basically just gives me elevation, battery life, etc.. right? So technically i don't really need that, or does that act as my video transmitter?.. Could i just get this... http://www.amazon.com/Flysight-Black-Pe ... B00MQ6UZS8 and call it a day? Looks like i would need a "hub" as well, I'm guessing that basically hooks this all together? or does the phantom 2 already come with a hub?

So if you were me, how would you attack this?

After seeing 24 views and not one response, I'm stepping up to the task to answer your questions. Phantom 2 is a good way to go. Lightbridge is the way to go if you want a good FPV system. If you do a Mickey Mouse setup you may lose your drone. You won't need a monitor as you can use your existing smartphone as your display. This is the best way to go if you're going to use a GoPro and H3-3D gimbal.

Thanks a lot for your response... The light bridge is mucho $$$... Ive combed through the threads on here and found a few with similar questions that i have.. So I've used that info and a few you tube videos and have increased my knowledge a tad.. Im not in the position to drop that kind of money on the light bridge so heres what i came up with... I already ordered the Phantom 2 with h3-3d gimbal. I do have a Hero 4 silver- but after a little research, it is compatible. So now for the FPV. Heres my purchase list. Let me know if I'm wrong of if you would suggest subbing out one product for another...

IOSD mini- already purchased.
Black Pearl 7 channel receiver- Heard the 32 isn't as good reception wise.. They say it has a built in battery, So i don't need to wire anything up on that end.
Immersion 5.8GHz video 600m transmitter..
Plug and play cable for IOSD mini, Transmitter, and phantom--- Do i need to purchase a FPV hub for this???? Confused on what the hub is for, and if its already built into the phantom...
additional antennas--- This is where I'm confused- some are 80.00 some are 10.00 whats good and whats not?

Here is a kit i found on amazon-- Correct me if i am wrong, all i would need with this is to have the seller swap the 32 channel for a 7 and purchase a hub?

gagne12isawesome said:
Thanks a lot for your response... The light bridge is mucho $$$... Ive combed through the threads on here and found a few with similar questions that i have.. So I've used that info and a few you tube videos and have increased my knowledge a tad.. Im not in the position to drop that kind of money on the light bridge so heres what i came up with... I already ordered the Phantom 2 with h3-3d gimbal. I do have a Hero 4 silver- but after a little research, it is compatible. So now for the FPV. Heres my purchase list. Let me know if I'm wrong of if you would suggest subbing out one product for another...

IOSD mini- already purchased.
Black Pearl 7 channel receiver- Heard the 32 isn't as good reception wise.. They say it has a built in battery, So i don't need to wire anything up on that end.
Immersion 5.8GHz video 600m transmitter..
Plug and play cable for IOSD mini, Transmitter, and phantom--- Do i need to purchase a FPV hub for this???? Confused on what the hub is for, and if its already built into the phantom...
additional antennas--- This is where I'm confused- some are 80.00 some are 10.00 whats good and whats not?

Here is a kit i found on amazon-- Correct me if i am wrong, all i would need with this is to have the seller swap the 32 channel for a 7 and purchase a hub?

I know LB is more expensive, but it's all in one solution. I suppose if you're doing this as a hobby or if this is a FPV setup for your kid, you should proceed with the items you listed. When you're ready for a high quality professional setup, buy the Lightbridge. You're going to want to get clover-leaf antennas. Your Immersion should communicate with your Black Pearl. No other things needed. Just make sure you wire your Phantom properly to Immersion TX.

Yep, it is super expensive but after trying several other FPV "solutions" I realized I should never have wasted the time and money. LB is so far beyond the others in quality, speed, quality, quality, etc. BTW, I have the exact setup you have now and I could not be more pleased.

spudraleigh said:
Yep, it is super expensive but after trying several other FPV "solutions" I realized I should never have wasted the time and money. LB is so far beyond the others in quality, speed, quality, quality, etc. BTW, I have the exact setup you have now and I could not be more pleased.

you would just use your iPad and or iPhone as your viewer? Yea i figure all of the stuff i listed would cost around $500.00 thats if i am right... I don't wan to order all this stuff just to realize i need another part, then have to order something and wait again.. kinda want it to all come it at the same time... so basically just looking for confirmation on the hub, and what antennas to purchase...

Thanks for the replies!

Well, you can't get LB for that amount. That said, I think you're on the right track. As for using iAnything, I could not say. Never owned an Apple product and likely never will. I can say this: I found it very difficult to visualize the FPV from a monitor or tablet. First, you don't really get the "riding in the Phantom" experience but more importantly and regardless of how good a sun shield/hood you have, there will be reflections and sometimes difficulty seeing anything at all due to the sun. I have used a very high quality tablet and a few dedicated video monitors and they all had this problem. For long distance flights, where you are no longer visually able to see the bird, looking at a screen can become disorienting. IMO. with goggles it is far easier to see where you are and where you are going. Also, the iosd information is REALLY helpful in determining the location, direction of flight, altitude, etc as well as battery charge remaining so you know when to head home. As always, YMMV!

Thank you all for the replies... So all the products are in my cart, I'm about to check out, but want to make the right choice on the antenna I'm going to buy... Also, noticed that it only comes with 2. one for the fat shark the other for my receiver (which has 2) so I'm guessing its going to just be dedicated on that one, since it will have the strongest reception??

Heres what i got.. Let me know if this will all work and if i am missing anything...

P2 and IOSD mini (already on their way)

Flysight 7 Channel Black Pearl 5.8 ghz monitor

Plug and Play cable P2 to iosd mini and fat shark

mounting bracket

then these 2 antennas...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAO ... LQVLQZYMDB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ9 ... FZ2K334IOY

So i don't need a hub and or anything else? All the youtube vids. did this setup and it seemed to work.. so I'm guessing i should be fine.. lol...

Thanks for the feedback!

spudraleigh said:

Wherever all other hobbyists want the setup once they see it. I'm trying to save these guys the trouble ahead of them with the "cost-effective" setup. Other people think I'm a spy lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj