Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New to Phantom - Best Set-up Mid Range Cost - Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamSenior, May 8, 2014.

1. AdamSenior

Hi All.

I am wanting to get into drone video as I feel it would be a great product to sell to my clients. I shoot many different styles of video (all with my feet on the ground) and I feel that having something that I can shoot exteriors etc would ad so much more to the possibilities of what I can achieve.

I would say my max budget is $1200/1300.

I currently own a GoPro Hero3 black edition, which has me looking at the Phantom 2 + H3-3D, yet as I have seen, how do I actually know what I am shooting? What options, and costings do I have to make this happen?

With the above in mind, Can't I Just buy the Phantom 2 Vision + then I have everything out of the box? Yet I have seen so many different opinions on the Video Quality I am stumped.

Please offer me advice, pros & cons for both platforms.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

2. kydan

You already have the Gopro and it's better than the DJI cameras.

Get the Phantom 2 for $869 and save $500 compared to the vision+

With the money leftover, buy a nice FPV kit because you have to know what you are filming. You won't get good shots without FPV.

FPV recommendation would be a 250mw transmitter, Black Pearl or Boscam RX-LCD5802 monitor, a patch antenna, and pair of spironet antennas (one out of the pair for the transmitter, other for your monitor along with your patch antenna)

3. AdamSenior

Hey kydan. Thanks for the response.

I am pretty tech savvy, so I have no worries about the FPV. Before I start my research is this as simple and reliable as the out of the box Vison + - I am all about getting the best shot so I want to ensure my investment is going to give me the best outcome. How does this setup work?

Do I plug the FPV directly into my GoPro? Which then transmits the video to the Boscam? How do you control the angle etc of the HD-3D, that is all done controller side?

I kinda like the idea of Filming both from looking at the Phantom and its direction plus from a screen...Best of both worlds. I imagine I would be doing most filming within 100ft of me...though having the flexibility to go higher would also be splendid.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,