New to Phantom: any Advice?

I bought the hard case for my P3P also, and I like it for local flights. However, I've grown fond of my $50 Chinese backpack off ebay. You might too. I bought it so I could carry-on when flying places on commercial aircraft. I didn't think I was going to use it much, but at 11lbs fully loaded, it's a breeze to carry around on your back almost anywhere, hiking, bicycle, motorcycle, etc. I'm using it all the time now. The hard case weighs 15lbs empty, 23lbs loaded. A recent addition to my bike collection of an electric powered mountain bike, now I can go places I couldn't before with the backpack, way up in the hills. It's a great adventure taking electric mountain bikes places where you can't take a motorcycle, legally. Flying the Phantom way away from houses and people is peaceful, and pretty scenic at times. Backpacks are helpful.

I was unaware of the weight of the case: yuck!

Still the hard case seems to provide more protection with the foam, but in the future I might look into an eBay backpack

I'm planning to start in a high school field, with no electric interference.

I'll do initial setup and reading at home.

I have a good advice for you. Do not call yourself a pilot until you save your quad from a disaster. You are just a newbie lammer now, even if you have a real pilot license. Get used to it.

and yeah .... Get 5 batteries, 2 chargers, fly with assistant only (So he/she can tell all that freaking people to move away from you) and the main thing DO NOT FLY FOR FREE. 200 USD is a minimum for a half of a day (1 hour filming time - up to 3 hours on location). 500 USD is a good price for a full day.

Haha I said 250 sized pilot: I know I have no experience with a phantom! Didn't mean to come off cocky!

My wallet is bleeding after the $1550; gotta wait a bit before buying more batteries. Two is enough for me to start learning!

Plus the phantom 3 professional has a faster charger?

I WOULD like to do some commercial work when I have more experience (and batteries!), but will need to figure out how to get business.

Sounds like you and I think alike. & Are having equal fun. Nearly so.
The back pack style is way easier to maneuver and go with locally.
Loving the DJI branded hard shell back pack here. Great to travel with.
Imagine the fun I have. I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster.

RedHotPoker

Haha that sounds awesome! I'm riding a stick 2007 328i; not exactly a roadster but still drives really well and has been pretty reliable for me

Harry you're a PILOT without a doubt. You've got the paperwork and training to prove. You're just not quite up to the task of "Quad Operator" yet in terms of the Phantom but that will come quickly with your 250 class experience. The P3P is a super stable aircraft and very predictable. Actual piloting requires a bit more than just yanking the sticks and charging the batteries but that's a whole other discussion.

Learn to fly safe and smooth. Then take a LOT of pics and video and don't be afraid to take photography classes and talk to some experts. At the end of the day it's your product that will make or break the business not how good you are at hot shot flying. Be safe above all else and the rest will come in time.

Reactions: PilotHarry
Question. Is there any equipment I should have besides the quad package and extra propellers?

Im looking at the special motor mount reinforcement; is that all?

I really like the idea of a third party GPS in case I have a battery failure; is that a reasonable thing?

I also am thinking about getting the "pop up" float thingy. Not planning on flying over water for a LONG time, but it's pretty cheap and easy

So looking into these, it seems controversial whether they help at all or not. Im not sure whether I'm up for modding a brand new drone :(

I wouldn't mod it. Just fly it and keep an eye on it. If it starts to crack, send it back. Simple as that. (I'm a poet and didn't know it). :)

My transition from 250 class to a P3A had one painful lesson. My 250s would stop almost instantly when I released the sticks and assumed the Phantom would also. On my second flight I tried stopping quickly and it over traveled by 20' and hit a tree. Hard. Bent the arm. Moral: the Phantom is heavy and is set up for video shooting so it's not supposed to stop as quickly as my Blade or GV3. I treat it better now and am constantly amazed by it. Have fun with your upgrade.

Reactions: BigAl07
So looking into these, it seems controversial whether they help at all or not. Im not sure whether I'm up for modding a brand new drone :(
Believe me I wouldn't either, however, there are some musts' -- Take a look at this site Phantomhelp.com for the "Musts" and "Fixes". Pay particular attention to the gimbal guards and camera guards-- they may save you a ton of headaches in the event of a hard landing or crash.

I bought the hard case for my P3P also, and I like it for local flights. However, I've grown fond of my $50 Chinese backpack off ebay. You might too. I bought it so I could carry-on when flying places on commercial aircraft. I didn't think I was going to use it much, but at 11lbs fully loaded, it's a breeze to carry around on your back almost anywhere, hiking, bicycle, motorcycle, etc. I'm using it all the time now. The hard case weighs 15lbs empty, 23lbs loaded. A recent addition to my bike collection of an electric powered mountain bike, now I can go places I couldn't before with the backpack, way up in the hills. It's a great adventure taking electric mountain bikes places where you can't take a motorcycle, legally. Flying the Phantom way away from houses and people is peaceful, and pretty scenic at times. Backpacks are helpful.
Hi John can you post the link for the back pack. Also u mentioned u carry your bird on flights, did you put the lipos in the back pack on the cabin or in the check in baggage and where there any issues at airport security screening? A bit off topic sorry just bought my P3A and i fly to the Med next week and want to take it with me.

I'm quite similar to you, I went from flying non-gps to purchasing a Phantom. I was smiling from ear to ear the entire flight.

I have flown P2 and now P3p for a couple of years. I also fly 250 DIY gear and fixed wing. Flying is very easy. Setting up firmware and tablet and such was a challenge. Make sure that you begin in clear open space to learn the craft and the various flight modes. Try the return home feature so you see how it works. Lots of folks on this forum have lost gear because they did not take baby steps. And finally, my challenge is always finding compelling content to record in a professional manner. Enjoy and welcome.

Last edited:
My transition from 250 class to a P3A had one painful lesson. My 250s would stop almost instantly when I released the sticks and assumed the Phantom would also. On my second flight I tried stopping quickly and it over traveled by 20' and hit a tree. Hard. Bent the arm. Moral: the Phantom is heavy and is set up for video shooting so it's not supposed to stop as quickly as my Blade or GV3. I treat it better now and am constantly amazed by it. Have fun with your upgrade.

Ironically I see almost the exact opposite. I'm going to find the "Breaking" setting (hopefully tonight) and back it off a bit. I was flying tonight and from mid-stick I let go and the aircraft stopped like it had hit the end of a chain. I feel like it's a bit too much stress and would like to tame it down. My 350QX2 seems "mushy" and much less precise but I'm sure it's a difference in settings.

Now I'm off to find the "Breaking" settings so I can tone it down a tad.

Here are some accessories on the way!

Not pictures is the sticker kit (for the remote), the battery labels, and the anti-CSC knobs

Ironically I see almost the exact opposite. I'm going to find the "Breaking" setting (hopefully tonight) and back it off a bit. I was flying tonight and from mid-stick I let go and the aircraft stopped like it had hit the end of a chain. I feel like it's a bit too much stress and would like to tame it down. My 350QX2 seems "mushy" and much less precise but I'm sure it's a difference in settings.

Now I'm off to find the "Breaking" settings so I can tone it down a tad.
Do it in the field and you can get them spot on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik