New to Drones

Reaction score
I've been looking at drones for a while and I always seem to come back to the DJI. Maybe it's the price? I've talked to a few shops and people with drones before. I would like some info or which drone would be right for me. I won't be using it all the time, just to do short films here and there. I currently use two go pro 3+ cameras, but my films are currently on the ground, not aerial. Is it worth attaching the go pro to your drone or better to use the camera that comes with the drone? Also is the gimbal really worth it? Are the videos really more stable? I'm not 100% sure how they really work. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

I've been looking at drones for a while and I always seem to come back to the DJI. Maybe it's the price? I've talked to a few shops and people with drones before. I would like some info or which drone would be right for me. I won't be using it all the time, just to do short films here and there. I currently use two go pro 3+ cameras, but my films are currently on the ground, not aerial. Is it worth attaching the go pro to your drone or better to use the camera that comes with the drone? Also is the gimbal really worth it? Are the videos really more stable? I'm not 100% sure how they really work. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

I am also quite new to drones only had my phantom 3 standard (P3S) for 2 weeks. The gimbal is a must if you want to film anything. It comes attached to the phantom 3's. Without it you will defiantly miss the shot. That's speaking from experience with someone else's drone. The phantom 4 is awesome if you can afford it but the 3's are pretty good too. Standard was the right price for me not having flown before. The advanced can go further and get slightly better videos and the professional gets much better video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MJHCO6
The first time you see a P3 gimbal in action you'll either cheese so much your cheeks hurt or **** your pants. You can sling that thing around at almost any varying degrees and that camera is going to stay 100% steady. Advantages of on board cam is you can switch from photos to live video and back to photos in flight. Besides in flight settings change like white balance, shutter speed, resolution, ev, and more. So if your taking the shot and it's not right looking, you can change the settings and take another shot. I've owned a few small drones and now a P3 advanced. Favorite piece of equipment I own.

A gimbal, on any quad, is absolutely vital for cinematography and photography. It allows the camera to move in three dimensions and stay straight and level independently of the quad's orientation.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ok so definitely get a gimble. Now should I invest in a phantom 2 with the H3 gimble and use my go pro, or get a phantom 3 and use the gimble/camera combo that comes on the machine. I don't think I can afford a phantom 4. I guess from what Corey pierce said, with the on board phantom camera you can change the camera. The go pro settings cannot be changed unless the machine is brought back to you. So, what is the best bang for your buck set up?

I would say it's all on your budget. Not sure what a P2 costs. But with dji's deal p3's are pretty cheap. I decided on the advance because of the farther flight distance and more accessible upgrades. (Hdmi module) you can feed a second monitor with video from the controller. Pretty sure that's only available on pro and adv. Their parts are swappable whereas the p3 standard is kind of on its own and less upgradable. Oh and don't try wireless display or miracast, it will kill your radio signal down to about 200 ft before it says your signal is too weak and start a return to home.

Yup, that's the kind of stuff I need to learn about. I've seen friends watching their flight on their phones while holding the controller in their hands at the same time. What is the advantage of the HDMI mod, i can watch my flight on a 2nd screen (phone)? What is the difference between the standard flight distance and advance/pro flight distance? And what is miracast? I'm very sorry for all the questions, but im very appreciative of your cooperation and knowledge!

Yup, that's the kind of stuff I need to learn about. I've seen friends watching their flight on their phones while holding the controller in their hands at the same time. What is the advantage of the HDMI mod, i can watch my flight on a 2nd screen (phone)? What is the difference between the standard flight distance and advance/pro flight distance? And what is miracast? I'm very sorry for all the questions, but im very appreciative of your cooperation and knowledge!
No problem brother I wish somebody would explain all this before I bought mine luckily I did my research. The advantage of the HDMI module as you can view it on a larger screen, 50 inch LED.not just 2nd phone or tab. The Advanced in the professional are almost identical besides shooting video is 4k on the pro in 2.7 k on the Advanced. Also the pro comes with carbon fiber props to give you about 2 minutes more of flight time, which you can purchase those for your Advanced. The Pro and Advanced go 3 miles whereas the standard only goes a mile. Miracast is Android's wireless display system.

Some good info on here. Thanks fellas. I don't think I would need to hook up to a TV to view flight travel. Although, once I have the copter, the feature would be tempting assuming it works as the copter is in flight. Not sure if it works in flight or just for playback. So all 3 models have the same flight time, regardless of props? I'm used to shooting in 1080 on my GoPro and I like the quality a lot. Not sure if I NEED the 4K, or 2.7k. What quality video does the standard version shoot?

Some good info on here. Thanks fellas. I don't think I would need to hook up to a TV to view flight travel. Although, once I have the copter, the feature would be tempting assuming it works as the copter is in flight. Not sure if it works in flight or just for playback. So all 3 models have the same flight time, regardless of props? I'm used to shooting in 1080 on my GoPro and I like the quality a lot. Not sure if I NEED the 4K, or 2.7k. What quality video does the standard version shoot?
The external monitor will show practically the same thing that's on your phone. It's great for showing a group of people what you see on your little screen while in flight. I believe they say the standards 1080p. Unless you have a 4k TV or zoom way in on a photo you won't be able to tell the difference between 2.7 and 4 K. Both the Advanced and professional shoot photos at 12 megapixel. Not sure if it's the same for standard.

The external monitor will show practically the same thing that's on your phone. It's great for showing a group of people what you see on your little screen while in flight. I believe they say the standards 1080p. Unless you have a 4k TV or zoom way in on a photo you won't be able to tell the difference between 2.7 and 4 K. Both the Advanced and professional shoot photos at 12 megapixel. Not sure if it's the same for standard.
Sorry I meant zoom way in on a video. photos are shot exactly the same.

I'm really sorry, so there is an external monitor, no need to use your phone via the app and prop it on the controller? I won't be blowing these videos up any higher then on a laptop. Other viewers might want to put it on a big tv but like you said, unless your zooming up you can't tell the difference in quality, correct? I usually just post my videos to social media sites.

I'm really sorry, so there is an external monitor, no need to use your phone via the app and prop it on the controller? I won't be blowing these videos up any higher then on a laptop. Other viewers might want to put it on a big tv but like you said, unless your zooming up you can't tell the difference in quality, correct? I usually just post my videos to social media sites.
You're correct on the resolution and zooming in. On the external monitor, it can only be a second monitor. You still need your phone for GPS and telemetry. I dont believe you wouldn be able to fly without it. Maybe, but no GPS assist. Which wouldn't be bright, as it helps immensely. Fighting winds and keeping it's own position. It may get blown away in a jet stream, lol. As far as reviewing video /pics, this can be done without the HDMI module. The bird has an SD card that can be swapped to any media device. I would only suggest the module if you would like to show others what you see in flight.

You're correct on the resolution and zooming in. On the external monitor, it can only be a second monitor. You still need your phone for GPS and telemetry. I dont believe you wouldn be able to fly without it. Maybe, but no GPS assist. Which wouldn't be bright, as it helps immensely. Fighting winds and keeping it's own position. It may get blown away in a jet stream, lol. As far as reviewing video /pics, this can be done without the HDMI module. The bird has an SD card that can be swapped to any media device. I would only suggest the module if you would like to show others what you see in flight.

Ok I think it's making since. I don't think I need someone over my shoulder watching the flight. That's what making the finished product video is for. As far as watching flight in real time, I just want to confirm this is done on your phone. As well as like you mentioned the GPs, and telemetry. Are there many people in here selling their used birds for a good price. I would assume a lot of people buy these things and use them for a short period of time and get bored with them.

Ok I think it's making since. I don't think I need someone over my shoulder watching the flight. That's what making the finished product video is for. As far as watching flight in real time, I just want to confirm this is done on your phone. As well as like you mentioned the GPs, and telemetry. Are there many people in here selling their used birds for a good price. I would assume a lot of people buy these things and use them for a short period of time and get bored with them.
Yes everything is done on your phone and has the most capabilities. Live video feed snapping the photos and change in the settings all done on the device you put into the controller may it be phone or tablet. But if you use a tablet it will need to have cell service for the GPS telemetry. Not sure about the Drone resale, I have a spare bird that was in a small house fire. I have then rebuilt it but have no controller for that one. I would just be weary of buying piece meals. As sometimes the gimbal or the controller alone can cost you more than 50% of a brand new set up. You may find a good deal on a p2 but I think p3'S are too new buto keep an eye out bcuz p4 just came out a cpl days ago. I'm sure a few pilots are in the market to upgrade.

I really appreciate all your help my man. I just liked all the posts on this thread. Hopefully people we see it and you will get some street credit on knowing your stuff :) You were a big help.

I really appreciate all your help my man. I just liked all the posts on this thread. Hopefully people we see it and you will get some street credit on knowing your stuff :) You were a big help.
No problem, always glad to help a fellow pilot or soon to be. Good luck. You won't be disappointed with the Phantom series, especially if you choose the p3. Best wishes, happy flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj