New to drones

Reaction score
I am super brand new. I bought a P3P and don't know anything about flying one of these. I know I went kinda big for my first real drone. I had the AR Drone when they first came out, but thats a toy compared to all that you can do with a P3P...Any suggestions?

This bird is totally different than AR Drone but much easier to fly. Go through the documentation and checklists.

Download the Phantom manual from DJI's downloads page. Also, check out my list of tips here.

but still afraid too fly with reading stories of fly a ways.
Very few Phantom 3s have flown away. It's much more common with Phantom 2s.

After reading the manual....go to a wide open space (field, bigger the better) and take it slow. Go up a bit, down a bit, fly a little one way, then the other. Slowly expand your flight envelope as your confidence and skill grows. Try not to let your confidence outgrow your skill. What makes them super easy to fly is if you take your hands of the controller, the thing just stops in space and just hovers there waiting for you to get your wits back. Fly-aways are rare. They happen more if you don't follow the instructions :) If you are afraid of breaking it or losing it to the point you don't get out there and try...well, then this might not be the right hobby for you :) Go enjoy it! Most everyone crashes eventually. Some crashes require no more repair than maybe replacing a prop. Some might need a few replacement parts and time to fix. The total loss fly aways are not the norm. I suppose flying over water (with the risk of ending up in the water) would be something to avoid since there is no such thing as a minor crash into water. End up in the water and you will have a significant set of problems.

Yes I read it like 5 times. I have a somewhat understanding, but still afraid too fly with reading stories of fly a ways.

Now read all the "educational" threads on this forum.. not the horror stories! (Apart from being a new owner, the only other reason many people post is because of a problem - you probably cannot quantify the numbers of owners out there that have zero problems & therefore no reason to post / contribute to the community)

Reactions: Sasquatch351
Dnt use prop guards if ur afraid of fly aways!!! Flew mine on a beach and almost lost it coz of the prop guards.. It catches the wind. Lesson learnt

Reactions: Sasquatch351
@LIONDOG said it best. Go to a wide open field and take your time. Use the auto take off and as it is just hovering a few feet off the ground get used to the controls. Left, right, front and back. Before no time you'll feel comfortable. one thing you do have to get used to is either flying by sight of the quad or through your monitor. I personally just used my monitor until I was comfortable with flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20