New to Drones, excited with some questions

Reaction score
I purchased myself an FC40 for Christmas. I love it and have been having some fun in between rainstorms.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z2Vt2H4Jp8[/youtube]

Questions I have:

1. I really would like OSD to know how high I am. I am looking at the http://www.goodluckbuy.com/fpv-flight-c ... e-gps.html, but do not have experience soldering to boards or the like. Is it plug and play?

2. Gimbal, I want a gimbal. Are they easy to install or should I have bought a Vision +?

3. SJ400. I would like to add one of these to my setup, anyone have comments on the quality?

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately I can't really help you out much as I'm still flying all stock for the most part, however, there's a thread somewhere here in the fc40 forum that talks about how to go about setting up an osd for the fc40. As far as I know, it's not a plug n play thing though. To be honest with you, I think you should've went with a p2 if you're wanting all those things, because it's probably going to require some soldering and possible breaking down of other quadcopters like the parrot drone, and of course there's the battery life issue. After a few flights, your battery life average will go from around 10 minutes, to almost half of that, so if you do add a gimbal, your flight times will be horrible. That's just the way it is ~Tupac :lol:

Attached prop guards today (I crash alot) and switched from the FC40 camera to an old GoPro Hero 2. No Wifi, so had no idea what I was filming and that was a bit of a bummer, but I feel the image was a lot better once back on my PC. Today I used a fresh battery and held the left stick straight up until I could no longer see the drone. Without a visual and FPV or map location I was a bit sketched. It had gone through some clouds. I did a panorama to get some pics and than turned off my remote. It took what felt like forever to appear again at which time I took it back over and finished the landing. Now I am really wanting the OSD, FPV and a gimbal. I am going to go film a light house tomorrow.

Looking North

Looking East, The bay, Willamette River and Columbia river in the distance.

Attachments

• Highest.jpg
    Highest.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 543
  • highest east.jpg
    highest east.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 578
Welcome to the FC40 Forum. I flew mine for a while with the FC40 camera and Wifi to a mini iPad then fitted the GoPro.
After a few months decided to improve the video with a Gimbal plus my GoPro 3. Gimbal install of a Walkera G-2D was fairly easy but you need to view the various Youtube sessions first to get background knowledge. The Gimbal provides a real plus on stability and I splashed out on the new NPVT581 controller with Gimbal wheel. I have to say the results from people with the SJ4000 camera seem as good as the GoPro so no need to get the latest GoPro BUT you need the WiFi version so you can view on Android or Apple device. As for read out of Altitude, distance travelled etc check out FlyTrex 2 . Again easy to install little weight and gives brilliant feedback with all parameters. Until recently you could incorporate the Flytrex data onto your video with a program called Dashware but this seems to have gone bust !! at present I have no plans to go FPV although I did get a transmitter for GoPro (Immersion RC 2.4Ghz) but have not installed as yet.

Thanks for the reply. My plan right now is to get the FPV/Telemetry going. Lots of great info on here and I thank everyone for it!

Was planning on boating to a lighthouse today and filming there but the battery in my boat was too darn low. Instead I practiced with ATTI mode. Tomorrow I will be in my other boat and hope to get some nice footage.

Here you can see Mt St Helens - Mt Adams - and Mt Hood from a bit above my house

Attachments

• mountains.jpg
    mountains.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 526
dwalterrealty, checked your Youtube video. I would say three possible causes, first the one of the gyro's is sticking for a second, if you can remove cover and check. Second there is a wire (can't see enough in video) holding the gimbal at some point. Third the Gimbal is faulty, I assume when its not powered you can swing without any catching ? Sorry I don't have the magic solution.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik