New to copters, have crazy ideas with crazier questions

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Gabe, and I just discovered these copters (better late than never right?). Well after doing some research, I love the idea of the Vision+. BUT, I would like to use a gopro with a H3-3D instead of the provided camera. The reason I like the vision+ is because of its included FPV and GPS ability to hover/guide/whatever else, which can all be done through the mobile app.
Now, I noticed that the regular phantom 2 can be purchased equipped with the H3-3D but it doesnt have FPV and GPS auto guidance (from what I understand). But if there is an easy and not so expensive way to have all that (pretty much a vision+ with a gopro and gimble) then I'm all up for it as long as its not super overly priced.

So, school me on what I need to know. I've been doing research (DJI site is not very informative) and I just noticed this forum so I've been doing some searching on here also.
Like I said, I have searched some but being at work so much does not allow for that much search time right now, so dont flame too much if I overlooked something.

Thanks guys!

you can't have the vision + with the gopro. It's DJI's attempt to lock you into a platform.

Setting up FPV and autonomy with a gopro and the H3-3D is pretty simple. It WILL work out more expensive, but not by much.

There are pros & cons to both platforms but only you can prioritise which ones are important to you. Whilst it's tempting to skim read on the research. It really will pay you back if you take the time as you'll have a higher degree of understanding just what is going on with your airframe.

It'll also save you some serious trepidation about pile-driving your aircraft into the deck or provide extra confidence when flying over water.

Keep asking the questions.

Bmews

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you mind leading me into the right direction for adding fpv and autonomy?

I'm also assuming that I won't be able to have the "save pictures to the phone" option with the gopro?

I am currently looking all over the forum to get more information but I just didn't know where to start really. It's just such a new concept to me and seems pretty advanced, might take a while to catch up to some of you

Here's a video of my Phantom 2 and GoPro setup with H3-3D and FPV with on-screen display to a dedicated monitor to show you an idea about how a GoPro setup might look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rEk3CdMnE . Using DJI video transmitter and DJI FPV hub it all goes together without any soldering. Using non-DJI kit and a soldering iron you can get the weight down a bit more, as well as using the iOSD Mini, not the full size version I put on (only because I already had it for another project). I don't have the Ground Station system for autonomous flight added on for two reasons - 1) I don't want to run it that heavy, and 2) I don't own an iPad to run it on out in the field. I have played with the newly released Vision/Vision Plus waypoints system for autonomous flight but, to be honest, I wasn't that bothered about it all once the initial "oh cool, it's flying itself" thing had worn off.

Hope that gives you a better understanding of what's involved getting FPV using a GoPro. You can "save to your phone" using a wifi-enabled GoPro and the GoPro app on your smartphone - just not in the air... you don't want a strong wifi signal that close to your aircraft which is listening out for your control signals on the same 2.4GHz frequency! But between flights when you come in for battery changes you could certainly take any stills or video footage you've recorded and play it back/download it to your phone/tablet - just make sure to shut off the GoPro wifi before you switch the Phantom back on again.

Ok that make it much simpler. You guys are a wealth of knowledge!
I totally forgot about the gopro wifi capabilities

One more question, without the autonomous flight capabilities will the craft still hover/return to base? Basically just won't do the waypoints?

mciupagea said:
One more question, without the autonomous flight capabilities will the craft still hover/return to base? Basically just won't do the waypoints?

Correct, basic flight and failsafe functions are common to all Phantom models. The waypoint functionality can be added to a regular P2 via the iPad Groundstation kit that DJI sells: http://1uas.com/2-4Ghz-Bluetooth-Data-L ... -Waypoints

oh ok thanks! thats all i really need, I dont need waypoint functionality really nor do i have an ipad to use it. but great information none the less

one last question, for now. how can I take a picture or start recording while flying with the gopro? would i have to start recording or put it on timer mode before takeoff? or can i do it remotely off the ground?

Exactly. It's one thing the Vision/Vision Plus does very well - full remote camera control in the air, not just shutter, but recording mode and exposure, metering, etc, settings too.

When using the GoPro it's basically either one long video clip you need to edit, or lots of stills you took with the intervalometer. Took me a while to get used to that, and I still find editing Vision footage easier as I shoot in clips on the Vision, not keep the video running. I'm not a good editor, so importing lots of clips into the editing software makes it a bit easier for me to know where to start! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj