New Texas Drone Laws

Reaction score
Seems to be getting more restrictive every day. New Texas drone laws start Sept 1

Wonder how many other states are creating laws and if they will apply to businesses like mine? Any info on that? I know the Mayor here in Utah is in the Rocky Mountain Unmanned Association so I think they are thinking ahead on the matter.

All of those laws are quite common sense, and don't seem restrictive at all. Flying above a power plant is already kind of a dumb idea, this just says you can't do it <400ft.

Reactions: clackey
All of those laws are quite common sense, and don't seem restrictive at all. Flying above a power plant is already kind of a dumb idea, this just says you can't do it <400ft.
I agree fully. Most of it is common sense but the problem is the people that don't use it. ;) Hence more and more laws and regulations will follow.

Hope when they make the laws for our state they are a sensible as the Texas laws.

The article is not big on details, but from what is in the article it sounds completely reasonable and something people should be able to live with.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf

December 15th 2015 the FAA put out a fact sheet about States trying to regulate the air space which Congress has given to the FAA. I see more State and FAA cases going to the Supreme Court.

"A navigable airspace free from
inconsistent state and local restrictions is essential to the maintenance of a safe and sound air transportation system. Even complimentary state
regulation is impermissible."

Reactions: tcope
December 15th 2015 the FAA put out a fact sheet about States trying to regulate the air space which Congress has given to the FAA. I see more State and FAA cases going to the Supreme Court.

"A navigable airspace free from
inconsistent state and local restrictions is essential to the maintenance of a safe and sound air transportation system. Even complimentary state
regulation is impermissible."

First, HUGE kudos for posting this! I cannot thank you enough.

Here is my take on this... many local law makers simply don't care if their laws are legal or not. In the case of Suffolk County NY making laws regulating airspace, I've pointed out to them and their attorney where their law was illegal as it went against US Code. Guess what.... they did it anyway. I've pointed this out to other lawmakers and they make the laws anyway.

I have found that most of these lawmakers look at "navigable airspace" started at 500' above ground and this is where the FAA has made current regulation. So they feel they are free to regulate airspace below this point. Again, I've pointed out to them that this is not the case... but again... they don't see to care. This document from the FAA shows what I'm telling them is 100% correct and they their laws are 100% legal. But they won't do anything about this. They will simply use these illegal laws to bully people into not flying. They will have police tell the person to stop flying or face a $1000 fine. Most people will stop flying even though their rights are being violated. To me, this is beyond insulting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31