New stress crack location

Thought about a lower shell in carbon fiber, but the expense would be high, so I designed a subframe. I've been flying with it this week to try it out. It makes the Phantom's arms rock solid! No twisting at all.
phantom subframe_1.jpg

Reactions: Adrian Shaw
Looks interesting!

Is the subframe CF? What does it weigh and what impact is there on flight times?

The subframe is made from a carbon fiber reinforced filament. The carbon fiber makes the material extremely stiff for its size. The entire subframe weighs 35g. I've made one without the carbon fiber reinforcement (in gold color) but it had to be thicker and slightly heavier.

Attachments

• Phantom Subframe gold 1.jpg
    Phantom Subframe gold 1.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 401
Looks like even the Phantom1 have divisions between the shell parts. So to me it looks like this is not cracks, but just how the shell is put together. But for the threadstarter the crack goes parallell next to this divisions and also up in the upper shell.

tumblr_mu6a21Sivk1sgzr25o5_1280.jpg
yep this is the way the phantom is put together and not stress cracks

Reactions: candubob
Just check my phantom 3 and same crack as you are, I just get my P3 from DJI new replacement about 2 weeks, and flight about 5 time, and that what I see it now.
I am going to ground my P3 for few days until I found solution.
Here is my 2 cents, If I flying again, then I will hold the P3 from the top, not at the landing gear,
even during calibration, and will easy manual landing, this will put less stress on the place that already crack.
Hope DJI come up with solution soon...

I wonder if there's anybody out there that could design something that could be fitted to a p3 that would spread the load on hand catching, rather than only on one leg, I've been trying to think how but come up blank

I wonder if there's anybody out there that could design something that could be fitted to a p3 that would spread the load on hand catching, rather than only on one leg, I've been trying to think how but come up blank
That like looking for some new bumper for a car that will allow a person to crash into a wall and do no damage. To solve ANY problem you determine the cause, and stop doing it. Now you have solved your problem.

There are, just like the earlier FW issues, a very small group of people that are having cracking issues. Do the math... hundreds of thousands are sold. 30000 members here, lets exaggerate and say that 20000 have P3 models. there might be... 500 that have cracks? (another wild exaggeration) Thats 2.5% of Phantom Pilots members with issues. You are more likely to have hepatitis than have cracks in your P3!! DJI has a very simple process for those few people to solve their crack issues. Yet people STILL want to cry and moan about it needing to be addressed.

Its REALLY simple! Contact them for an RMA and they will take care of the rest. LET them solve the issue, and stop trying to make it more than it really is!

--

Its REALLY simple! Contact them for an RMA and they will take care of the rest. LET them solve the issue

ok so the fact that I've had mine for over a year do you really think they would do that for me, with their reputation for service I don't think so, plus for the price you pay it shouldn't happen to any %, except in crashes, surely just boost up the bottom half of the shell and all problems would be solved

DJI has a very simple process for those few people to solve their crack issues. Yet people STILL want to cry and moan about it needing to be addressed.

well tell them that have got cracks,

I'm lucky at the moment I don't have any ;-)

I recently been looking at the typhoon Q 500+ and the build of that one is loads better than the Phantoms plus the price is better, the only thing stopping me from getting one is the fact that the video transmission is 5.8g so go behind a tree and you lose the fpv signal even if only 50mts away from me, I know as I'm using that now on my phantom V1.1.1, loosing my video
so now I will be buying a P3 soon and hope I don't get any problems with it.
anyway thanks for your comments

--

Its REALLY simple! Contact them for an RMA and they will take care of the rest. LET them solve the issue

ok so the fact that I've had mine for over a year do you really think they would do that for me, with their reputation for service I don't think so, plus for the price you pay it shouldn't happen to any %, except in crashes, surely just boost up the bottom half of the shell and all problems would be solved

DJI has a very simple process for those few people to solve their crack issues. Yet people STILL want to cry and moan about it needing to be addressed.

well tell them that have got cracks,

I'm lucky at the moment I don't have any ;-)

I recently been looking at the typhoon Q 500+ and the build of that one is loads better than the Phantoms plus the price is better, the only thing stopping me from getting one is the fact that the video transmission is 5.8g so go behind a tree and you lose the fpv signal even if only 50mts away from me, I know as I'm using that now on my phantom V1.1.1, loosing my video
so now I will be buying a P3 soon and hope I don't get any problems with it.
anyway thanks for your comments

You your entire response is based on what you THINK might happen. Yet, you have nothing to validate your position. DJI has a VERY record for service COVERAGE. Other than being slow, I doubt you can find one person that hasn't been taken care of VERY well! As of recently, the service time frame has been reduced to next to nothing.

You your entire response is based on what you THINK might happen. Yet, you have nothing to validate your position. DJI has a VERY record for service COVERAGE. Other than being slow, I doubt you can find one person that hasn't been taken care of VERY well! As of recently, the service time frame has been reduced to next to nothing.

OK end of discussion

Ditto this.

I just got my bird delivered form 2 back to back RMAs. My shell was replaced in addition to about 6 other parts and then a battery error problem fixed. 5 weeks total wait time for both RMA's from initial crash. I don't give kudos to DJI for this based off the fact that some poor souls have waited 8+ weeks in the past. DJI's turnaround time seems to have increased significantly since those days. Good. It's supposed to be with a sense of urgency. So again...no kudos for finally getting your s**t together and doing what you should've been doing all along.

My old shell had begun to crack (before the crash) inside the deep screw holes like many have illustrated. I had started appying super glue to stay the problem but don't think that would have helped at all. But the point in mute... it dropped out of the sky and crashed shortly after this.

I agree with @III% Streve initial comments. The electronics are quite impressive. Incredibly so. But the simple physics/construction of the craft seems like an afterthought at best. I come to these forums to get advise, share and learn. Unfortunately and obviously there's a ton of nightmares presented. Out of curiosity I wish there was some way to know what the actual percentage is of owners with zero problems with the shells...and us. Regardless it's nuts. Absolutely nuts. Even if it's just a few it is an indication of poor craftsmanship and zero testing.

I'm so sorry you (III% Streve) and others are going through such nightmares. After my "ordeal" I seriously questioned things too. The bigger picture, what I want to do in videography, the tools I choose to do it with, how much more money I'm willing to give to DJI and if it's worth it in the end. So much so that I'm still holding off on extra batts and a hardshell case that I was ready to order 6 weeks ago. I could ramble on screaming WTF too but I guess I'm really only hopeful for one thing. All things said and done...DJI needs a competitor. Period. DJI shouda, coulda, woulda gets resolved real quick when consumers can simply say, "OK the hell with this.... I'm buying an X quad from X company.

That said I'd probably be the first one on here complaining about X quad's terrible.....whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: III% Streve
Well said! And to set things strait... I have had zero issues. With DJI as a company as well as with my P3P. Ive pushed both to some healthy extremes, BETA tested on many level, and have always been happy with results. But at the same time, I'm willing to admit that there are obvious issues. As some others have mentioned, the body of the P3 is essentially a duplicate of the earlier models, and admittedly there was a need for changes to accommodate the added weight and power. I personally believe that was done. I personally feel that the cracks are attributed to a combination of a some poor plastics used by a few injection molders, and a vibration issue in the motor/prop. I can also admit that DJI had serious issues after the launch of the P3. This in service and production. But we ALL know that this was because the P3 was massive success, and led to far more sales than DJI expected. We cant really fault a company for having a crazy successful product. They have grown immensely! And we see every day growing number of people talking about how fast everything is being taken care of. Now the problem isn't that DJI isn't, or cant, solve a problem. Its more that WE as customers wont do our part in allowing DJI to do what they promise.

Thought about a lower shell in carbon fiber, but the expense would be high, so I designed a subframe. I've been flying with it this week to try it out. It makes the Phantom's arms rock solid! No twisting at all.
View attachment 32509

I just ordered your StrongArms, now looking at the SubFrame. Looks like the SubFrame would be the way to go, as it strengthens the arm. Have you noticed any affects on flight characteristics?

I just ordered your StrongArms, now looking at the SubFrame. Looks like the SubFrame would be the way to go, as it strengthens the arm. Have you noticed any affects on flight characteristics?

I've come close to ordering the Strong Arms. May still in the future. Judging by the way they're made and designed it's a temporary fix to the inevitable. Cracks will just take longer to appear. It doesn't mold to or become a solid part of the lower shell. Just disperses the stress. That stress is still there on the cheap plastic that the motors are mounted to.

Still can't bring myself to spend more money remedying something that's a manufacturers defect in the first place. If I get cracks... I send it back...again... and again... and again. When a company is overwhelmed fixing their own manufactures defect - that's the kind of pain that will inspire THEM to fix it for good instead of ME fixing it with goofy after market mod. Grrrrrrrr.

Yeah, I was afraid it was Monday morning quarterbacking and sorry for that. Just wanted you to know if there is a next time... Good luck and cheers
This one absolutely blows my mind. No, no crashes ever. No hard landings. Hand catch every time. I've never ever crashed a phantom which is why you won't see a thread from me looking for a gimbal in this or any forum. In fact I think DJI gimbal are more than up to the task strength wise. But the shells..... I tell ya. Anyway, photo needs no description. On a crash free phantom this is inexcusable. If I had sent my phantom in for warranty on all the stress cracks I've experienced I would have barely flown since June. After all, all four side by side screw holes cracked, two motor mounts, one front, one rear. I have a brand new in box phantom. I might start using it while retiring the old one. But this time I had enough. I might stop flying altogether. I'm tired of this. Whie DJI electronics are arguably the best, the quality and structural integrity are garbage. No better way to put it. And their attitude regarding this matter is the worst possible.View attachment 29685
Did you figure out what to do or get this taken care of yet?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj