New stress crack location

Reaction score
This one absolutely blows my mind. No, no crashes ever. No hard landings. Hand catch every time. I've never ever crashed a phantom which is why you won't see a thread from me looking for a gimbal in this or any forum. In fact I think DJI gimbal are more than up to the task strength wise. But the shells..... I tell ya. Anyway, photo needs no description. On a crash free phantom this is inexcusable. If I had sent my phantom in for warranty on all the stress cracks I've experienced I would have barely flown since June. After all, all four side by side screw holes cracked, two motor mounts, one front, one rear. I have a brand new in box phantom. I might start using it while retiring the old one. But this time I had enough. I might stop flying altogether. I'm tired of this. Whie DJI electronics are arguably the best, the quality and structural integrity are garbage. No better way to put it. And their attitude regarding this matter is the worst possible.
20150905_141816.jpg

WOW! I got the same one on mine too. Both sides (two cracks) on both sides of the battery compartment. WTF I'm gentle when I load and remove the battery but what is causing this I have no idea. Used crazy glue to stop it from spreading but I'm not sure thats the answer

How many flights/hours/miles on the Phantom?
Do you fly in consistently windy conditions?
I have no intention to lay blame at your feet, I just would like some additional data to help understand the possibilities
Very sorry for your problem.

How many flights/hours/miles on the Phantom?
Do you fly in consistently windy conditions?
I have no intention to lay blame at your feet, I just would like some additional data to help understand the possibilities
Very sorry for your problem.

I've only had my P3 for about 2 weeks. Yes I've flown in windy conditions (15 Knots wind).

I've only had my P3 for about 2 weeks. Yes I've flown in windy conditions (15 Knots wind).

Wow. That is disappointing. 15 knots wind is not excessive. There is nothing that can excuse this lack of strength.
If you got your Phantom through a reputable source, I would suggest contacting them first before the DJI LA support line.

Got it from Helidirect. But from what I'm told they'll be no help at all. Guess I'll contact DJI and see what the deal is

For future reference, both Amazon and B&H Photo have been excellent in resolving early issues for the customers. There may be others but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

Reactions: David Chris
Nice to know but to late this time.
Yeah, I was afraid it was Monday morning quarterbacking and sorry for that. Just wanted you to know if there is a next time... Good luck and cheers

This one absolutely blows my mind. No, no crashes ever. No hard landings. Hand catch every time. I've never ever crashed a phantom which is why you won't see a thread from me looking for a gimbal in this or any forum. In fact I think DJI gimbal are more than up to the task strength wise. But the shells..... I tell ya. Anyway, photo needs no description. On a crash free phantom this is inexcusable. If I had sent my phantom in for warranty on all the stress cracks I've experienced I would have barely flown since June. After all, all four side by side screw holes cracked, two motor mounts, one front, one rear. I have a brand new in box phantom. I might start using it while retiring the old one. But this time I had enough. I might stop flying altogether. I'm tired of this. Whie DJI electronics are arguably the best, the quality and structural integrity are garbage. No better way to put it. And their attitude regarding this matter is the worst possible.View attachment 29685

Is it possible your hand catching is causing the extra stress on the landing gear mount? If you catch it with one hand and have the transmitter in your other hand to kill the power, the weight of the quad could be putting extra stress on the joint as the power is cut. If you catch it you probably need to use both hands on both landing gear, which will be tough if your by yourself...

Just a theory...

I have a P3P always land it my self on the ground and I don't have any cracks anywhere. At least not yet! I did an auto land once and it seems hard to me so I just land it my self.

Hope you get the problem resolved with DJI...

Reactions: David Chris
Is it possible your hand catching is causing the extra stress on the landing gear mount? If you catch it with one hand and have the transmitter in your other hand to kill the power, the weight of the quad could be putting extra stress on the joint as the power is cut. If you catch it you probably need to use both hands on both landing gear, which will be tough if your by yourself...

Just a theory...

I have a P3P always land it my self on the ground and I don't have any cracks anywhere. At least not yet! I did an auto land once and it seems hard to me so I just land it my self.

Hope you get the problem resolved with DJI...
I never hand catch my aircraft. Never thought it was a safe thing to do. I agree that the auto land is a bit hard. I also land it manually.

I have those too on both sides near the battery. They have been there since the first day I had mine. They are seams where the plastic is put together (a very poor fit at that). The original poster has a crack that extends into the upper shell. This one appears to be somewhat normal from how mine looks. If you follow it around with a light, you can see it goes along a seam with a straight line at the battery compartment.

I am curious if others do not have them in that exact spot

This one absolutely blows my mind. No, no crashes ever. No hard landings. Hand catch every time. I've never ever crashed a phantom which is why you won't see a thread from me looking for a gimbal in this or any forum. In fact I think DJI gimbal are more than up to the task strength wise. But the shells..... I tell ya. Anyway, photo needs no description. On a crash free phantom this is inexcusable. If I had sent my phantom in for warranty on all the stress cracks I've experienced I would have barely flown since June. After all, all four side by side screw holes cracked, two motor mounts, one front, one rear. I have a brand new in box phantom. I might start using it while retiring the old one. But this time I had enough. I might stop flying altogether. I'm tired of this. Whie DJI electronics are arguably the best, the quality and structural integrity are garbage. No better way to put it. And their attitude regarding this matter is the worst possible.View attachment 29685
Such a bummer. Sorry man.

From your picture, it looks like you had previously glued your shell together. Am I just seeing things?

Reactions: Jeff48920
The plastic dji is using on the p3 model doesn't seem to have the strength it needs its way to soft and I can only see these models lasting a couple of years with moderate usage. Very disappointing given the price point.

It's odd how some get cracks but (most presumably) don't.
Could it be an unbalanced prop or motor?
Or even some other factor like ill-fitting case?

Mine has done a fair few flights since May and no sign of any cracks.
It's always windy here. You would think if the design or material were inadequate they would all get the same thing sooner or later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan