New Software and Firmware?

Just out of curiosity: did you do an IMU and compass re-calibration after the firmware update or did it fly correctly without ?

dreamlx said:
Just out of curiosity: did you do an IMU and compass re-calibration after the firmware update or did it fly correctly without ?

After my up - my IMU was perfect and all my gains settings stayed. I did go ahead and do the compass cali just to be cautious..

I did the advanced IMU calibration as recommended and got my MOD value from .5 to .1. Did not do the compass calibration but did notice my compass MOD value hovers around 600. In the tutorial video the CEO says 1400 to 1800 is acceptable (or something close to that). So... does having such a low value indicate need for calibration when it is flying just fine?

howardmaryon said:
It was late and I was tired, so I missed the tiny grey lettering message about not using this firmware on a Phantom. My fault clearly, I am trying to find a way to revert to or reinstall the previous version of the firmware, any ideas anyone?
You're OK apparently dji has oked it for the phantom. Can't say I'm in love with the way the throttle works now, liked it the way it was, but I guess they know what I like better than me.

Anybody else on here that's been flying rc planes and helis, unhappy with the new throttle setup on 3.10 firmware ?? Kinda was forced into this upgrade, tried to recalibrate imu and my old software has been pulled in favor of 2.10 anybody else finding this ?

How do you download the Defaul Settings? I tried but I couldn't open the file?

You tried that too ? Do you have any Idea how frustrated I was, until I found out it was a Linux file.

I thought it was because I'm running Windows 7 on my Mac, that I was having a problem. Did I mention that I hate
Windows. :twisted:

Ok i just upgraded my firmware.

I decided to test it out. When i start up the motors and move the throttle upwards toward center, the motors do not increase power.

Is that normal ?

Secondly, when holding the phantom in hand and throttling beyond 50% motors increase, but if backing down the throttle below 50% turns off the motors.

Now that cannot be normal at all ?? :?:

Never mind I figured out the problem.

Apparently when I was holding it in hand the phantom thinks it has landed because its not moving so it turns off power.

Everything is good when flying, fail safe switch works perfectly. Take off is pretty sweet, GPS stability is WOW. better than before.

I like this firmware ! :!:

The new firmware is well worth updating. My Phantom runs much better. Did not have to change anything. Did a MUI calibration which was recommended, and was even slightly better then before the update.

The only thing I don't like is not a big change in throttle, get 50%+ then only does full power come into effect. Reach 50% and it's like your Phantom has reached a power band. But you can control takeoff better, and landings.

I upgraded the Assistant Software from 2.02 to 2.1, but fortunately I read the warning before upgrading the Firmware.
All seems to be well.

Gary39 said:
Anybody else on here that's been flying rc planes and helis, unhappy with the new throttle setup on 3.10 firmware ?? Kinda was forced into this upgrade, tried to recalibrate imu and my old software has been pulled in favor of 2.10 anybody else finding this ?

Only with the Aerofly rc sim; spent years with it :cool: I really liked the stuff that can be done with helicopters; especially the 3d-capable versions. But the phantom isn't like that; The controls and feel resemble the heli most, but it it isn't a heli. I think it's mostly meant as a fly-by-wire based aerial camera platform, and not so much a manual 'crazy-stuff' aircraft. I've flown it in manual mode, but the symmetry scares me a bit in that it isn't as easy to observe attitude. Anyway I consider the new auto-takeoff part of the fly-by-wire approach, and enjoy it as such. A new geek feature has arrived :geek: ;)

Took the first flight with new firmware yesterday, worked just fine. The spot was a little windy; The gps fix and sensor warm-up was a lot faster; altitude hold is way more stable. But not surprisingly, fighting a turbulent 4-5bft the phantom was still swinging around some.

rcray said:
I upgraded the Assistant Software from 2.02 to 2.1, but fortunately I read the warning before upgrading the Firmware.
All seems to be well.

I had no warning at all, but well worth the upgrade. Seems now when your battery gets low the Phantom Beeps.

Tool the phantom out today for first flight after upgrade, love the take off and landing now, gps and allitude hold works lot better, phantom seems more stable,
and yaw is lot smoother, tried it about foot off ground and about ten feet off ground stable all the way around, now i just need to buy another transmitter and swap out the stick gimble on the left with one from extra transmitter with one from the right that way have the throttle stick centered when released. Wonder if anyone has had any fly aways since the upgrade.
by the way wind was around 10 to 12 mph today, phantom took it in stride.

toolman2a said:
Wonder if anyone has had any fly aways since the upgrade.

+1. I have been watching for the first fly-away with the new f/w, too. I'm hoping they snuck a fix in there (couldn't list it for liability reasons since that would be an acknowledgement that an issue existed).

As for the runaways, slightly vague chinglish wording in the website but hopeful as far as improved course, GPS, compass and signal interference improvements. This is what they say:

New attitude stabilize algorithm, provides better flight performance;
 Newflightcontrolfeeling(takeoffismorestableandeasy;flightwillbemoresmooth);
 Auto course error compensation;
 Support octo-rotor; Add protection for Hexa-copter, octo-copter when lost one motor power;
 Add IMU advanced calibration, sensor error monitoring and protections function;
 Support PMU module with CAN BUS port, could support iOSD, GoPro gimbal and Bluetooth LED module, and so on;
 Increased demand for GPS signal strength, increased the compass interference monitoring and warning, maximumly
reduced the effects of magnetic disturbance;
 Add new LED informations.

They should spend a few bucks and get a proof reader to write and edit their material!

I dont have 2.02 software any more.Need to recalibrate imu,s Cant find 2.02 0n DJI downloads only 2.10. I used some else's windows 8 to do it first time. Any help very apprec. Thanks Dennis

dlorton said:
I dont have 2.02 software any more.Need to recalibrate imu,s Cant find 2.02 0n DJI downloads only 2.10. I used some else's windows 8 to do it first time. Any help very apprec. Thanks Dennis
You don't need the old software. Once you update, you have the new software to calibrate your IMU and the new firmware. You'll be good to go. Which Windows are you running? If you have Windows 8, the drive is also available on that page. Good Luck!

I hear a lot of comments about how the new firmware holds "better" but haven't seen any comments like "rock-solid" or "no drift." My Phantom was like that before so I am wondering if the only people who like it better are those who never had a properly functioning unit to start with. Can anyone confirm that the Phantom actually holds still in GPS mode with the new firmware(no wind)? And if so, did it do so before?
For me, even with light breeze, it wouldn't move more than 24" or so, and with no breeze no drift was noticeable. I would routinely leave it parked just above eye level and, with no hands on either stick, operate the buttons on the gopro. If I pushed it away from the spot, it would come right back.

TickTock said:
I hear a lot of comments about how the new firmware holds "better" but haven't seen any comments like "rock-solid" or "no drift." My Phantom was like that before so I am wondering if the only people who like it better are those who never had a properly functioning unit to start with. Can anyone confirm that the Phantom actually holds still in GPS mode with the new firmware(no wind)? And if so, did it do so before?
For me, even with light breeze, it wouldn't move more than 24" or so, and with no breeze no drift was noticeable. I would routinely leave it parked just above eye level and, with no hands on either stick, operate the buttons on the gopro. If I pushed it away from the spot, it would come right back.

Mine was already pretty tight. Now it's even more tight on the new firmware.

As for the people moaning... At the end of the day, this is GPS, it's never going to hold within inches. It's not like your mobile phone that uses 3 types of triangulation to locate (satellite + cell mast + WiFi HotSpot).... And even that's not perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.