New Smart battery adapter from BanGGooD

Reaction score
Looks like there is a new smart battery hack from banggood, with this smart battery adapter you can use your own standard lipos...

Seems interesting... Lets see if works as expected.

Link: http://j.mp/1fUHeoT

How do you secure the battery without the rest of the cage? Do we know what battery percentage is being reported to the Naza if you just plug in different packs? Since the P2 behaves in very specific ways to voltage and percentage remaining, I'd say there are some big questions that need to be answered about this device.

riblit said:
Its a complete battery, not just an adaptor. Look at the rest of the pics in the link and read the description.

You are correct, it is described as such but I think the implication is that you use one adapter with multiple batteries, one (possibly 2 judging by the picture) of which is supplied.
I wish this was the route DJI took when they designed the P2 power supply. I would willingly pay for a high quality battery charger that maximised a batteries performance and life span along with high quality lipos which are cheaper but equally as good as the P2 battery rather than be stuck with the very expensive stock batteries. It would save on weight and space too when transporting.

I'd try it and do some extensive testing at low level but it could prove to be a costly mistake. Anyone feeling brave ? :D

wow its hight time to have alternative to so much expensive batteries!

the other UAV as using other brand batteries, why can we have one for p2+?

As I said on the other post about this elsewhere, I just can't see why anyone would risk many hundreds of [insert your currency here] worth of aircraft and accessories to save 50 quid? Everyone signed up to using the smart battery proprietary system when buying their P2 derivative, so it wasn't like it was forced on anyone. I'd rather just wait for another month or two to go by and save up the extra for the genuine one, personally. I guess the orange clone batteries that appeared being so bad even the knock-off reseller issued a recall still doesn't put people off risking their aircraft with cheap knock-offs.

riblit said:
Its a complete battery, not just an adaptor. Look at the rest of the pics in the link and read the description.

Ah, you're right. I was on mobile and couldn't get the banggood site to load.

But as the batteries are removeable, the same questions remain. The SMB board in the P2 batteries uses a current counter to determine battery health and charge, not just voltage. If you don't charge the batteries through the on-board balancer, it will report incorrect charge to the Naza, unless the bangood board is designed to spoof a full charge no matter what. And if that's the case, your battery charge indicator lights would be wrong and you wouldn't have your low voltage alarms....if you aren't completely sure about how this battery + board operate, it could be feeding you bad capacity data.

Pull_Up said:
As I said on the other post about this elsewhere, I just can't see why anyone would risk many hundreds of [insert your currency here] worth of aircraft and accessories to save 50 quid? Everyone signed up to using the smart battery proprietary system when buying their P2 derivative, so it wasn't like it was forced on anyone. I'd rather just wait for another month or two to go by and save up the extra for the genuine one, personally. I guess the orange clone batteries that appeared being so bad even the knock-off reseller issued a recall still doesn't put people off risking their aircraft with cheap knock-offs.

50 quid ??? An hours flight time will cost you about £300 with genuine DJI batteries !!! Using this aftermarket battery it would cost around £100 quid. Then factor in a shelf life of 2-3 years, the difference starts to add up.

At the end of the day a battery is just a mean of storing energy - it's DJI who have complicated it. I've bought lots of after market DSLR and compact camera batteries, all with the same protections as the propriety battery and all last just as long if not longer. There may be some poor quality batteries on the market but these days they are in the minority in my experience.

WessexWyvern said:
At the end of the day a battery is just a mean of storing energy - it's DJI who have complicated it. I've bought lots of after market DSLR and compact camera batteries, all with the same protections as the propriety battery and all last just as long if not longer. There may be some poor quality batteries on the market but these days they are in the minority in my experience.

The difference here though is that if your aftermarket DSLR battery fails, the camera doesn't immediately drop out of your hands and smash into 100 pieces on the floor.

There's nothing mystical about a 'smart' battery, it's just a LIPO with a bit of extra (unnecessary) hardware that locks you into buying proprietary batteries in the same way a printer manufacturer tries to lock you into buying branded ink cartridges. Besides Phantom 2 batteries don't exactly have a 100% track record.

I agree, but my point is everyone who bought a P2 variant knew that was the case before they parted with their cash. It's not like the proprietary system has suddenly been sprung on us.

Given that, I don't understand why people would then be prepared to risk it. An hour's air time means you need 2 additional batteries at £100 each - buy this thing and, assuming the power delivery is the same, you need 2 at £50 each. I still don't think £100 is enough of a saving to risk it. At 300 cycles rated life, at a minimum you should get 100 flying hours per genuine battery. But I guess it's down to your attitude to risk...

There's nothing mystical about it, but the functionality of the p2 is tied to the SMB reporting more tightly than most people suspect. And if they just plug this thing into a spare lipo and fly it, they may be caught unaware by unexpected behavior.

People have modified the genuine p2 smart battery to take 3rd party cells, and one of the problems is that % charge is not calculated via voltage, so if you put a depleted pack on, it could still say 80% full and count down from there.

Third party battery packs tend to be reliable. Third party clone/bypass electronics, not so much.

I totally agree. For what its worth the original DJI batteries do the trick and other hardware is made to work with them. I have 4, with proper maintenance I expect them to last 2-3 years, at which point I can replace them, or, buy the next latest and greatest thing which will probably give me double again the flying time. This is the price to fly a P2, DJI can reduce the price so we buy more but ultimately they have us by the ghoulies on this one (i'll let you figure out what that means!)

ElGuano said:
There's nothing mystical about it, but the functionality of the p2 is tied to the SMB reporting more tightly than most people suspect. And if they just plug this thing into a spare lipo and fly it, they may be caught unaware by unexpected behavior.

People have modified the genuine p2 smart battery to take 3rd party cells, and one of the problems is that % charge is not calculated via voltage, so if you put a depleted pack on, it could still say 80% full and count down from there.

Third party battery packs tend to be reliable. Third party clone/bypass electronics, not so much.

Personally I would like to see DJI release a 4 cell 5200 smart battery for the P2s. We know the ESCs and motors can take it. I'm sure there'ld be many happy Phantom owners flying 25 mins + pretty easily.

Pull_Up said:
I agree, but my point is everyone who bought a P2 variant knew that was the case before they parted with their cash. It's not like the proprietary system has suddenly been sprung on us.

Given that, I don't understand why people would then be prepared to risk it. An hour's air time means you need 2 additional batteries at £100 each - buy this thing and, assuming the power delivery is the same, you need 2 at £50 each. I still don't think £100 is enough of a saving to risk it. At 300 cycles rated life, at a minimum you should get 100 flying hours per genuine battery. But I guess it's down to your attitude to risk...

custom drone copters, those professional ones using 3rd party reliable battery.
there are better batteries than dji battery.

if only dji batteries are same price with 3rd party reliable lipo price, then i dont have probs with dji.
its the battery price thats what dji owners are complaining...

Has anyone actually purchased or used one of these BangGood batteries???
It seems like we all seem to be speculating on these products, myself included.
I know they had a bad batch of batteries that failed, it happens in the battery world... I have had other types of batteries(not flight related) do the exact same thing, fail quickly...
I am quietly suspecting that these BangGood batteries are coming off the exact same assembly line that the DJI units do. It is not uncommon at all for the chinese companies contracted to build widget #123 for company ABC, to either do overruns and then label them differently, and sell them in the grey market. Or, what I am thinking is BangGood has entered into a separate agreement with the manufacturer to build them and put a different sticker on them.
I realize there is a risk to our phantoms with these batteries, but the reality of it is our overpriced DJI batteries may do the exact same thing.
If these batteries ever return to stock at BangGood, I may order one and try it out, with my phantom secured to terra firma for a ground test run or two to see what happens..... Anyone else ???

I think that's the point... It's a risk because of the electronic circuit, not the lipo part - although we know the DJI has better power to weight than most other equivalents. Everyone's free to do what they want of course, but as I said above I'd just rather wait for one more paycheck and get the real thing bearing in mind the total value up in the air and the gliding ability of a quad! If a DJI battery failure could be proved the root of the crash I reckon you'd have a better chance of compensation/replacement than the zero chance if using knock-off electronics.

There's nothing mystical about a 'smart' battery, it's just a LIPO with a bit of extra (unnecessary) hardware that locks you into buying proprietary batteries in the same way a printer manufacturer tries to lock you into buying branded ink cartridges. Besides Phantom 2 batteries don't exactly have a 100% track record.

Ya know I have been thinking a lot latly about the law in my state of ny were dude to printer manufacturers trying to pull that crap were there were trying to force customers to use there high priced proprietary and also trying to tell people that there warrants would be void made ny pass a law that says that its not legal in ny to do and the only way a co can now force someone to use there brand consumables and spare parts is IF THE CO PROVIDES THEM FOR NO CHARGE then if thats the case you have to use there stuff being its free. But they also MUST honer a warranty and can not use it for an excuse to cancel any one warranty even tho they dont have to cover any thing specifically caused by use of a non brand after market part. IE If you other then DJI battery fails DJI don't have to pay for the damage caused by the other battery BUT they have to still cover any thing else not related or caused by the other brand battery.

So considering how many of these are sold in ny state esp in nyc were there are a lot of dealers some day when the law catches up with dji they could end up taking a big bath if they want to keep trying to force people to use there not so smart just as prone to fail battery's I wish my old lady still worked for the ny attorney generals office cause it would be nice to see some one enforce the law being dji don't seem to follow it.

I have a vision that I don't dare fly due to the faulty false non dji battery BS. That they could fix just by a simple software update to tell it to not try to even care if its a dji battery or not and problem solved and it would not want to crash its self even when its got a real dji pos not so smart battery in it.

Given the series of users experiencing bad cells in their DJI batteries, our Phantoms are starting to look safer in the hands of Nuke and even heaven forbid Bangngood. A warranty is no good if your Phanton has been auto landed in the middle of a lake or 100ft up a tree.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie