New Shell- somewhat weatherproof?

Reaction score
Does anyone think that we might be able to fly and not worry so much if there's high humidity? The promo videos seem to show the darn thing flying in snow-scapes. I've always worried with my P3P that a little snow might get sucked into the vents and play havoc on the drone.
3ce429d368ed66b4b64cdf23ac0373f9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doubt that DJI would advertise the phantom 4 as waterproof even if it was in fact waterproof, just to cover their back. However, there is a fair bit of promotional material that shows it in scenarios where it must be getting wet.

On the Phantom 4 website, one of the promotional pictures is of the P4 hovering right next to one of those floating water jet things, and it must be getting wet....

I'm no expert, but there's quite a lot of electrics exposed on the P3P, whereas on the P4 it looks like the electrics have been enclosed in the P4 shell.

However, when I get my P4, no way I'm going to expose it to any water until somebody else tests it (rigorously) :D !

Last edited:
While I have flown my phantom 3 in plenty of drizzles and light snowing today, there are a lot of vents on that shell. On the phantom 4 the venting is on the bottom. Then there are also the motors and now they are mounted. There is no open area surrounding the motors as in prior phantoms. I will fly my 4 with much more confidence.

Are you not concerned at all, about moisture and any of the high humidity around weather conditions, getting in or on the camera and its gimbal? What about getting wetness, inside where the micro sd card is inserted? The undercarriage vent openings aren't my only concerns, with regards to where H2o might be introduced.

RedHotPoker

Are you not concerned at all, about moisture and any of the high humidity around weather conditions, getting in or on the camera and its gimbal? What about getting wetness, inside where the micro sd card is inserted? The undercarriage vent openings aren't my only concerns, with regards to where H2o might be introduced.

RedHotPoker
In over 300 phantom 3 flights, at least 50 I've logged in these conditions. Icing is my true concern but it has never been an issue. But it's always been extremely light drizzle or snow. Today it was snow. This was today's flight. No problems other than drops on camera impeding view a bit. But I know the area well.
org_6932b19e0262d6b7_1457270599000.jpg

Ok, well good luck. Hope your drone continues to behave, while flown in inclement weather.. ;-)
I wouldn't chance that with mine, but we are different thinking individuals. And I have several other models to play with...

RedHotPoker

There is really no drama to it. When I came back in today, it was very dry but for the camera lens. And since I fly either over unpopulated mountains of ocean, it goes down, no damage done. I've never had a crash on any DJI product. From what I read in the forum, trees are a far bigger danger. As for the phantom 4, there are a lot less holes in the shell.

I still have a couple of cans of Plasti-Dip. Red and yellow.
You can have them, if you want to go all out. Hehe

RedHotPoker

Hehe, plasti dip. Or hey, whar we use on our boats, corrosion x. I've run speed controllers that still work under water after spraying them with the stuff. To be honest, it has to be an extremely light drizzle for me to take it up. But snow is different. It's a lot less water overall. The thing is, often times I'm so far from land that the weather is a little different from where I am on shore.
org_1ffb0c3266b66fb2_1456401246000.jpg

Corrosion x. Not cheap but works amazing. If I were re shelling a phantom 3, I would certainly dip the main board in the stuff. Phantom 4 forget it. Too much to do in there.

I spray mine with a keyboard cleaner after a wet flight. I usually fly about 1ft or 2 above the ocean waves.
I like the grill vents on the p4 and looks like the gimbal has better protection

Hey folks,
So question. I'm very interested in waterproofing my P3S using Corrosion X. This is my first drone and I'm only a couple of months into learning. Rather than dipping the circuit board into Corrosion X, would it be just as effective or less effective to spray the insides with a few coats from a Corrosion X aerosol can? Also what should I and should I NOT coat in Corrosion X on a Phantom 3? I wish there were some videos about how to apply it specifically to a P3 but can't find any. Thanks!

The idea to keep your drone dry internally is a waste of time.
There are drones meant to fly in inclement weather, the @dji drones are not them. ;-)
Play on the SIM or buy a copy of www.realflight.com

RedHotPoker

See this? Hahaha
That's the ticket... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4