New Shell - GPS Mode Not Hovering

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

My DGI Phantom recently had a major crash. As result, I purchased a new shell and transferred the internal parts. The DGI Phantom started correctly and the motors turned on demand. However, I had placed the top shell on incorrectly and thus the directional arrows (clockwise or counter-clock wise) were lined up incorrectly. As result, the propellers did not create any lift. I then switched the propellers and the Phantom lifted off ground.

I noticed in my test flight that the Phantom was not returning to a hover when I released the controls. It would correctly regulate it's altitude, but it would then drift in several directions. My two questions:

- Does it not return to a stationary hover because the top cover is incorrect?
- What's a good way to ensure that the top shell lines up with the bottom one correctly?
- Could any other items be causing this trouble?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Liam

Templars said:
Good Afternoon,

My DGI Phantom recently had a major crash. As result, I purchased a new shell and transferred the internal parts. The DGI Phantom started correctly and the motors turned on demand. However, I had placed the top shell on incorrectly and thus the directional arrows (clockwise or counter-clock wise) were lined up incorrectly. As result, the propellers did not create any lift. I then switched the propellers and the Phantom lifted off ground.

I noticed in my test flight that the Phantom was not returning to a hover when I released the controls. It would correctly regulate it's altitude, but it would then drift in several directions. My two questions:

- What's a good way to ensure that the top shell lines up with the bottom one correctly?

Liam

Did you get your naza in the right direction in the new top? Is it secure also?

mercillus said:
Templars said:
Good Afternoon,

Liam

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the NAZA the GPS module or the base station? All elements of the DGI Phantom are secured to their respective parts.

The top shell is definitely on incorrectly. I believe everything in the bottom shell is correct.

Possibly the GPS isn't oriented correctly in the top half could cause the problem. Reinstall the shell correctly, do a full calibration and try again. Are you getting 6+ sat lock on your GPS?

Templars said:
mercillus said:
Templars said:
Good Afternoon,

Liam

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the NAZA the GPS module or the base station? All elements of the DGI Phantom are secured to their respective parts.

The top shell is definitely on incorrectly. I believe everything in the bottom shell is correct.

Did you unmount GPS from old shell and then mounted it on new one? If Yes, take a look because may be a) GPS module is not pointing straight front or b) GPS surface (plate) is broken.... Wait your check for go on...

Templars said:
What's a good way to ensure that the top shell lines up with the bottom one correctly?
Look for the indents for the red orientation stickers and make sure they align with the bottom indents.

TickTock said:
Templars said:
What's a good way to ensure that the top shell lines up with the bottom one correctly?
Look for the indents for the red orientation stickers and make sure they align with the bottom indents.

Top tip that one, - I just transferred my internals to a new shell tonight (there are a lot more screws than expected), and once you notice the top and bottom shells can be aligned in this way you need not worry about getting them wrongly aligned. It's actually more straightforward than I thought it would be, but still took me a couple of hours.

What I did notice was that the rear usb light little circuit board isn't that well protected from the battery, and I put a thin bit of foam on the upright at the rear of the battery tray while I had the top off, to ensure the battery is a little bit away from it, and not pushing directly on the thin foam stuck on the little usb board.

I assume you ran Advanced Calibration and stuff after doing the switch?

a bad crash might throw things off

The GPS only screws into the top one way and cannot be accidentally turned the wrong way.
-but apparently that doesn't matter, as the GPS is uni-directional.
and the compass is down below, so technically the GPS can be facing any direction and it will still fly ok.
(I actually discovered for myself months ago, when I accidentally put my shel top back on 180 degrees the other way)

Thanks, Team! Will fix the shell and run a full calibration. Anyone have suggestion to the best documentation on running a good calibration?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers