New rules?

Somewhere in a land far far away, someone is getting a real giggle over how restrictive the terms of this permit are, and maybe in not too many years from now, so will we.

ianwood said:
Never seen these before. No mention of getting a pilot's license. Did I miss something?
Yes ... Number 14
UAS operations must be conducted by a PIC possessing at least a private pilot certificate and at least a current third-class medical certificate. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

Here's the short version of the rules.
It sounds like the FAA can't tell the difference between flying a $1000 toy helicopter and running a charter fleet of VIP jets.
The big joke is when you compare this with what the FAA requires for recreational flying.
They really have no idea what they are dealing with at all.

1) Operations authorized by this grant of exemption are limited to the specified aircraft. Proposed operations of any other aircraft will require a new petition or a petition to amend this grant.

2) The UA may not be flown at an indicated airspeed exceeding 30 knots.

3) The UA must be operated at an altitude of no more than 300 feet above ground level (AGL).

4) The UA must be operated within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the Pilot In Command (PIC) at all times.

5) All operations must utilize a visual observer (VO).

6) The operating documents and this grant of exemption must be accessible during UAS operations and made available to the Administrator upon request.

7) Prior to each flight, the PIC must inspect the UAS to ensure it is in a condition for safe flight.

8) Any UAS maintenance or alterations that affect the UAS operation or flight characteristics, e.g. replacement of a flight critical component, must undergo a functional test flight. The PIC who conducts the functional test flight must make an entry in the aircraft records.

9) The preflight inspection section in the operating documents must account for all discrepancies, i.e. inoperable components, items, or equipment, not already covered in the relevant sections of the operating documents.

10) The operator must follow the UAS manufacturer’s aircraft/component, maintenance, overhaul, replacement, inspection, and life limit requirements.

11) The operator must carry out its maintenance, inspections, and record keeping requirements, in accordance with the operating documents.

12) Each UAS operated under this exemption must comply with all manufacturer Safety Bulletins.

13) The authorized person must make an entry in the aircraft record of the corrective action taken against discrepancies discovered between inspections.

14) UAS operations must be conducted by a PIC possessing at least a private pilot certificate and at least a current third-class medical certificate.

15) Prior to operations conducted for the purpose of aerial videography, the PIC must have accumulated and logged, in a manner consistent with 14 CFR 61.51(b), a minimum of 25 hours of total time as a UAS rotorcraft.

16) Prior to operations conducted for the purpose of aerial videography, the PIC must have accumulated and logged, in a manner consistent with 14 CFR 61.51(b), a minimum of 5 hours as UAS pilot operating the make and model of the UAS to be used in operations under the exemption.

17) The operator may not permit the PIC to operate the UAS for the purpose of aerial videography, unless the PIC has demonstrated and logged in a manner consistent with 14 CFR 61.51(b), the ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption, including evasive and emergency maneuvers and maintaining appropriate distances from people, vessels, vehicles and structures.

18) UAS operations may not be conducted during night.

19) The UA may not operate within 5 nautical miles of an airport.

20) The UA may not be operated less than 500 feet below or less than 2,000 feet horizontally from a cloud or when visibility is less than 3 statute miles.

21) If the UA loses communications or loses its GPS signal, it must return to a predetermined location and land or be recovered.

22) The PIC must abort the flight in the event of unpredicted obstacles or emergencies.

23) The PIC is prohibited from beginning a flight unless there is enough power to fly at normal cruising speed to the intended landing point and land the UA with 30% battery power remaining.

24) The operator must obtain an Air Traffic Organization (ATO) issued Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) prior to conducting any operations under this grant of exemption. This COA will also require the operator to request a Notice to Airman (NOTAM) not more than 72 hours in advance, but not less than 48 hours prior to the operation.

25) All aircraft operated in accordance with this exemption must be identified by serial number, registered in accordance with 14 CFR part 47, and have identification (NNumber) markings in accordance with 14 CFR part 45, Subpart C. Markings must be as large as practicable.

26) Before conducting operations, the radio frequency spectrum used for operation and control of the UA must comply with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

27) The documents required under 14 CFR 91.9 and 91.203 must be available to the PIC at the Ground Control Station of the UAS any time the UAS is operating. These documents must be made available to the Administrator or any law enforcement official upon request.

28) The UA must remain clear and yield the right of way to all manned aviation operations and activities at all times.

29) The UAS may not be operated by the PIC from any moving device or vehicle.

30) The UA may not be operated over congested or densely populated areas.

31) Flight operations must be conducted at least 500 feet from all non-participating persons, vessels, vehicles, and structures unless b barriers are used or the owner/controller of such vessels, vehicles or structures has granted permission and the PIC has made a safety assessment of the risk of operating closer to those objects and determined that it does not present an undue hazard

32) All operations shall be conducted over private or controlled-access property with permission from the land owner/controller or authorized representative.

33) Any incident, accident, or flight operation that transgresses the lateral or vertical boundaries of the operational area as defined by the applicable COA must be reported to the FAA’s UAS Integration Office (AFS-80) within 24 hours. Accidents must be reported to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)

ianwood said:
NNo mention of getting a pilot's license.
The article starts out with that before getting into the list.

They include finding a certified pilot to operate his drone (luckily, Trudeau has a pilot buddy)

Right after his exemption was approved, I saw an article saying he was working on getting his private pilot license. So, I don't even know that this quote is true.

For a better list, see the FAA exemption petition itself:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_prog ... -11138.pdf

OK, clearly I skimmed it too quickly. Same old BS as before. Oh well.

Yep. More of the same.

I can deal with all of the other petty requirements -- just need to get rid of the private pilot license requirement. I'm surprised nobody has fought them on that yet. They have no valid reason to require it.

Why didn't I pick a less controversial hobby like assault rifle modification? :roll:

Correct me if I'm wrong but after going to a presentation at UAV Direct a few weeks ago. The gentleman speaking stated that there is no accredited UAV flight, GS or general aviation course out there that you can take to get any real certification. So I guess you just can say yep, I have the amount of time needed for 15, 16 & 17. As long as I write it down, I'm good.
Sure there needs to be some safety rules but I think the FAA would be taken a lot more serious if they would try to appoint some leaders in the UAV industry to help them draw up the guidelines than just making up some off the wall guidelines that are obviously made to deter people from doing it.

Larry L said:
The gentleman speaking stated that there is no accredited UAV flight, GS or general aviation course out there that you can take to get any real certification.
Correct. That's why the FAA thinks they can require a private pilot license.

There is a US law that says the proper certificate is required in order to fly for commercial purposes. However, since a private pilot license is clearly not the proper certificate, it should not be part of the requirements.

LuvMyTJ said:
Why didn't I pick a less controversial hobby like assault rifle modification? :roll:

It's funny because it's true!

And sad because it's true!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj