New regulations here in Colombia, ruining the hobby.

Really? Not sure I get that. License plate on the helmet? For real?

Yes, it looks like this:

http://dcolombo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Colombia-motorcycle1.jpg

They had a lot of crime and some assassinations from drive-by motorcycle+passenger and that's why they passed these laws. Colombia is in much better shape with each passing year, but these laws are still on the books. I found out very quickly that not wearing this license plate vest is a very quick way to get pulled over, at east around Bogota.

BTW ... while we are on this ... it's important to check the rules before flying with the copter. I travel in southeast Asia regularly, for example, and have read that drones are confiscated outright in Myanmar.

From time to time I travel to Asia as well. Last I checked, Philippines passed very draconian regulations.

I have not heard anything about Myanmar cracking down, but I just googled this story:

Drone fliers must register in Myanmar

Countries where you can bring your Phantom are dropping like flies. Better go ASAP.

G'day,

Where are these regs for Colombia? I'm going back there for the third time in December, have travelled very extensively the past few years.

Would love to get footage of places such as parque tayrona and ciudad perida, even the cocora valley near Salento would be spectacular.

It's a gorgeous country and I dare say the best in South America ( I married a Colombian) so maybe a little bias.

Who can enforce these rules? The police or other regulatory body?

Dave

I have not heard anything about Myanmar cracking down, but I just googled this story:

Drone fliers must register in Myanmar

Countries where you can bring your Phantom are dropping like flies. Better go ASAP.

Good article. I can't find where I read about them confiscating drones, but it was reported from someone who wanted to fly there from Viet Nam, best I can remember. At this point I think I will likely leave mine here in its case next time I travel out that way. What a shame.

BTW ... while we are on this ... it's important to check the rules before flying with the copter. I travel in southeast Asia regularly, for example, and have read that drones are confiscated outright in Myanmar. And from what I have read (single source), if you fly into Ecuador with a drone they want a duty fee of 50% of the value of the bird. I have no plans for Ecuador at the moment, but man I should would call the embassy to clarify for EVERY country I want to visit with my copter.
Going into Ecuador in December, currently in Panama, Have NOT come across any duty fees for private drones.... Exactly what did this single source tell you, did he personally bring in a multicopter through customs... would like to know before flying in !!!

Looks like your single source was correct !! Now I will rethink my plans to fly in to Ecuador
Bringing in Goods through Ecuador’s Airports Tax Free | EcuadorBeachfrontProperty.com

Going into Ecuador in December, currently in Panama, Have NOT come across any duty fees for private drones.... Exactly what did this single source tell you, did he personally bring in a multicopter through customs... would like to know before flying in !!!

I apologize that I can't give you more info, but it was a poster on this site, I believe. I think I am going to start saving a few of these things, since I, too, would like to ask him for further info. I'll try a search.

G'day,

Where are these regs for Colombia? I'm going back there for the third time in December, have travelled very extensively the past few years.

Would love to get footage of places such as parque tayrona and ciudad perida, even the cocora valley near Salento would be spectacular.

It's a gorgeous country and I dare say the best in South America ( I married a Colombian) so maybe a little bias.

Who can enforce these rules? The police or other regulatory body?

Dave
Here's one link, there's another one on YouTube, but I didn't find it. Colombia regula el uso de drones en sus cielos - Noticias Infodefensa España

Hey guys, I just completed a full research about Colombi@n drone rules https://www.drone-made.com/blog/colombia-drone-laws & they are pretty tough indeed. But the one that made me laugh the most is "You're not allowed to fly closer than 1.8 km close to wherever is the president or vice president of Colombia" Make sense but could be hard to apply on a daily basis..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1