"New" refurb, in beginner mode, flyaway and crash

Looks to me like at 4m18s he went into a tree where I have a red arrow pointing. Once it hit the tree all the data probably went haywire. What I don't understand is why he was going back and forth from GPS to ATTI mode so many times. It also shows a RTH request.

My theory is this - he took it up into winds that were too strong for it to handle. He tried to do a RTH but the wind carried it into a tree and crashed it. The motor overload error was caused when the blade came in contact with the tree.

Remember that wind speed at 200' can be much stronger than the ground (as Weather Underground shows). Also curious if you had prop guards on? Those really get caught by winds.

1fd478feed44498248880cff262a0933.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

no propguards, I got a set for my pro... and am not exactly happy with them so I didn't spring for propguards on this guy

****. Looking at healthy drone data. Your went above 2500ft altitude. And was in atti mode. Not gps mode. Yikes!!! Your friend panicked. I could be wrong but ****. It was not in beginners mode at all
This can't be right. 2639 ft altitude. No way.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You migh be looking at distance from home point, didnt exceed 200 ft according to log.

How do you know flight was performed in beginner mode? Compass, GPS, and signal were all recorded as good untill the what we can probably assume was an unintended landing in the tree was completed. And flying in Atti mode. I wouldnt be blaming sensors here.

Re beginner mode,
My guy said he was only in beginner mode because he didn't trust himself yet

I do believe him because I beat my guys up so much that they know not to lie to me if they screw up and own up to the mistake it's a learning experience if they screw up and tried to cover their tracks they get fired
We deal with compliancy in our day jobs, so truth matters

I may go with the wind speed to high theory, we are in Wisconsin, so it is a bit chilly, and this guy is running the latest firmware, and I think I read somewhere that the latest firmware limits speed and thrust when it's cold, May have got the gust and not enough power to send it home

Log records take off at 4s and at 449ft away from home at 48sec. Thats 3 metres/s average velocity, at or past the beginner mode limit at 10 seconds in. Given the claim that beginner mode was on as he didnt trust himself why keep flying out and not come back. It doesnt appear there was so much as an attempt to fly back untill further in (based on the flight path). Are you running go on IOS? I would replay the flighh in the app. Likely to be more clues there.

Oh and as to battery- one 73mv variation at start of flight doesnt suggest the battery was the issue, still plenty if juice when going into the tree.

Log records take off at 4s and at 449ft away from home at 48sec. Thats 3 metres/s average velocity, at or past the beginner mode limit at 10 seconds in. Given the claim that beginner mode was on as he didnt trust himself why keep flying out and not come back. It doesnt appear there was so much as an attempt to fly back untill further in (based on the flight path). Are you running go on IOS? I would replay the flighh in the app. Likely to be more clues there.
He is telling me that he launched, went up in the air, and it took off, and he started chasing it because it wouldn't respond to his commands.

Yes, IOS, i will see if I can film and upload, unless I can export that data?

He is telling me that he launched, went up in the air, and it took off, and he started chasing it because it wouldn't respond to his commands.

Open the flight in DJI GO and play the mission. You will see the stick inputs as the mission progresses. It might be that he performed an auto takeoff and happily flew out and up in ATTI mode. The stick movements will be a good clue re the failure to respond to commands claim.

Hope this was a learning experiences. Friend or not this isn't a toy .did everyone register.

Everyone (including my 13yo kids) are registered :(

I'm still going with my high wind theory. The situation would have been highly exasperated being in ATTI mode. Your description of it just 'taking off' fits the theory perfectly.

You migh be looking at distance from home point, didnt exceed 200 ft according to log.
It did show it went over 2898 feet high in the log......but this was after the telemetry went crazy most likely after hitting a tree.

The wind didn't seem to factor in since the wind was blowing towards the south east and the quad kept flying east north east.

It looks to me that the quad descended height once in the open field and held that height over the woods till it topped a tree. It appears to me that it was operator error since the quad held the height around 62-65- foot for about 30 seconds and therefore it wasn't trying to auto load for any reason.

It did show it went over 2898 feet high in the log......but this was after the telemetry went crazy most likely after hitting a tree.

The wind didn't seem to factor in since the wind was blowing towards the south east and the quad kept flying east north east.

It looks to me that the quad descended height once in the open field and held that height over the woods till it topped a tree. It appears to me that it was operator error since the quad held the height around 62-65- foot for about 30 seconds and therefore it wasn't trying to auto load for any reason.
Yes, safe to disregard or at least seriously question data logged after the apparent crash.

To the extent wind was at or close to that reported me, and i suspect a lot here including those with significantly more experience than i have would not have attempted a flight. It would have to be a factor.

We havent seen anything yet from the log that seems to implicate a hardware or software issue.

Challenging conditions (wind) coupled with pilot experience level and ATTI mode would seem to be the most plausible explanations so far. Will be interesting to see what the OP learns from the flight replay in the GO app about stick inputs.

Reminds me i need new blades for one of my electric planers, came back stuffed after i loaned it to a mate who assures me it was fine when he used it and treated carefully. The shiny nail heads in the floor of the job he used it on suggest otherwise.

If you want to get even more detailed information, connect directly to you P3 and pull the .DAT file off. You can recreate the full flight. Post it on here and I am sure the group will do it for you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't know why but it never enters P-GPS mode. The home point is set, but it's flown in P-Opti mode, bouncing to P-Atti mode. With no GPS lock, it doesn't know where to return home when the RTH is sent. It seems very windy as well to drift 10M/S? It also seems the right stick commands were not influencing the P3, probably due to the wind. The altitude and yaw commands were working, but are less affected by the wind. The end of the flight before the crash was at -4 meters. Not being in P-GPS mode will definitely keep an un-experienced pilot very busy. The mystery here is why the P3 never entered P-GPS mode?

SD

As I recall you can't fly more than about 200' away in beginner mode and why would anyone takeoff with the high winds? Why does your video say 7/02/16?

upload_2016-2-12_14-47-23.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl