NEW RECORD {update} [video is up] 6.09km... 3.8mi !!!

Re: NEW RECORD... 16,543ft... 5.04km... 3.1mi

There are other antennae to pitch and sell.
I totally back the Maker Revolution.

This forum has a lot of traffic.
Its hard to keep read-up on everything; coping with signal-to-noise subject matter ratio.

Other Antenna Possibility's would better serve everyone outside the scope of this message thread.
No offense.. I understand about wanting to promote product. Keep doing that please; perhaps by creating a message thread pertaining to those product types.

garrock said:
There are other antennae to pitch and sell.
I totally back the Maker Revolution.

This forum has a lot of traffic.
Its hard to keep read-up on everything; coping with signal-to-noise subject matter ratio.

Other Antenna Possibility's would better serve everyone outside the scope of this message thread.
No offense.. I understand about wanting to promote product. Keep doing that please; perhaps by creating a message thread pertaining to those product types.

My sponsor keeps saying I should do that... but I don't see myself having time to do modding and flight testing and actual flights and work and family AND sales... maybe I could start a thread and see how it goes... at least have a different price point available with a totally different style and setup... not like it would be directly competing with anyone here so shouldn't rain on anyone's parade or anything... and I guess the workload wouldn't be too horrible because I don't have to produce .... just take the order... process payment... drop ship from nearest warehouse...

I'll give that some thought... (in other words ... talk to the wife first) :oops:

New to Dashware...finally got a semi decent sync..... :shock:

Just a short vid reaching my end point, turning and panning the horizon and returning. No amps, no 2.4 booster app, just native power through my flat panel array. I let the bird hang up there for quite a while before landing as it was time to fully discharge this battery. Even fighting a headwind on the way back I had about 33% left on her when I got home.....

There was a real battle going on up there as she struggled to maintain GPS position...one small gust pushed her back about 20 feet!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUekNmOP554[/youtube]

mede8er said:
New to Dashware...finally got a semi decent sync..... :shock:

Just a short vid reaching my end point, panning the horion and returning. I let the bird hang up there for quite a while before landing as it was time to fully discharge this battery. Even fighting a headwind on the way back I had about 33% left on her when I got home.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUekNmOP554[/youtube]

Nice. My next run I'm attempting 2k feet. I'm coming for ya! :lol:

Right on mede8er... I was watching the video and thinking... "****... His camera must be better than mine" ... then i realized you were flying later than I was so you had way better lighting :mrgreen:

Good news is... got the cable in the mail today so rear antenna is redone and buttoned back up ... ready to fly...

Antennas are on the way here from itelite for stage 3 beast mode... but I think I'll wait on that till next week... I really wanna go out and test with the better cable and u.fl connector and stay with the same setup for comparison... and I'm dying to test this new update for Vision Plus Utility Pro.... did you see all that **** he added for data logging? Awesome update... I'mma be out testing tonight and see if I can sync up a video and check which gauges I can add with the new data...

I'll get back on here about it later on...

OK.... so it's later on...

Changed the mount on the antenna as well... switched it from the aluminum deal here...

20140805_114214_zpsq6sbylgz.jpg

To a white piece of plastic hacked off of the transmitter cell phone mount... I don't think having that aluminum behind the patch at some random distance (2 thicknesses of 3 double sided adhesive tape) was a good idea anyway... plus this one looks more Phantom-ish...

20140813_204800_zpsbpusgfwr.jpg

Flipped it around backwards so it doesn't interfere with the battery squeeze and pull... need to whack the heads off those screws and it's done...

Data logging test went off ok but has some kind of time error with Dashware ... notified RC Taco in his thread... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198&start=50#p211590

Hope he can get it worked out... seems like just need to change time column from "milliseconds" to "seconds" and test again...

Really wanted to edit that video ... tonight's test flight was epic... mother nature really put on a show for the camera...

Screenshot taken from video

Screenshot_2014-08-13-20-29-47_zpskgdbwra1.png

And the whole **** video is shots like that...

Screenshot_2014-08-13-20-33-31_zps45yjshli.png

Hope ocatcr gets the data worked out for dashware... really want to try all those new columns with different gauges... :ugeek:

Updates look great DBS!!!

I'm in the middle of mine....

Check all internal connections, tighten any lose screws
Copper foil mod
Relo on the internal antennae (waiting on the longer cable)....

Should be ready for testing in about a week....

Just to clarify, are these long distance records WHILE maintaining a video link? Or just long distance PERIOD?

I did quick math and based off the average flying speed of 22km/hr while using waypoints, a 19 minute flight would yield a ~7km distance. Which would be ideal for me, not for record setting but for getting the most aerial imaging I can out of a single flight.

ilovecoffee said:
Just to clarify, are these long distance records WHILE maintaining a video link? Or just long distance PERIOD?

These are while maintaining video link... you need FPV or you can't see where to fly... waypoint won't go out these distances one way... and you can't just let it RTH or it will slow down too much and not make it back to control point. :ugeek:

mede8er said:
Updates look great DBS!!!

I'm in the middle of mine....

Check all internal connections, tighten any lose screws
Copper foil mod
Relo on the internal antennae (waiting on the longer cable)....

Should be ready for testing in about a week....

Check the screws from the top of the gimbal plate to the body... I had 2 loose... just do a visual by looking from the side across the plate... you can see if a head is backed off a little bit...they're supposed to be flush... it's a bummer if they're loose cuzz you gadda cut the drop pins and take the dampening balls loose to get to the **** screws :roll:

When I flew last night my camera did much better...

Also had one of the Alan heads by a motor really loose... I'mma start checking those after each swarm... can't afford silly failure like that :evil:

Do you have pics of the foil mod? And then... If I fall in love... can you sell me a chunk of that stuff so I can blast mine too? Don't have any serious problems with that but it can't hurt to be well shielded right?

This is what I use on my guitars, available in guitar shops or online...:

Attachments

• copper foil.JPG
    copper foil.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 397

Great stuff Chuck.... :lol:

DBS said:
**** that's Purdy bro man... almost a shame you can't see that handy work once you reassemble... that **** would look like the Apollo moon lander :ugeek:

Hmmmm....I could always do my landing gear I suppose...hmmm........

mede8er said:
Hmmmm....I could always do my landing gear I suppose...hmmm........

Nahhhh ... don't do that... you got receiver antennas and compass down there so you wanna keep everything away fr...........

Oh wait... that was a joke right? ... I get it :lol:

I'm slow but I catch up sooner or later...

Funny guy... :|

I sent you links for the u.fl to RP-SMA pigtails... several different options

Testing the 6800mAh battery now with a 2 amp load and timing it... I dig the power switch... no more plugging and unplugging... sweet!!

20140816_183955_zps0fd11kas.jpg

Very cool stuff. I don't own a PV2+ yet. Still considering.

I am an electrical engineer, computer programmer by trade so the different hacking to get distance reminds me of my ham days trying to bounce 1W off the moon or the ham sats.

Question from a newbie... I don't think I have the time/energy to do what you guys are doing although it is way cool. If I get one of these things my goal is to fly it out over a prairie next to our house. Well within 1/2 mile or so and fairly flat. Will I get that kind of range once I'm comfortable?

I mean we used to talk across town on 50mw but that was with lots of antenna work and height. I might want this thing like 20 feet off the deck over the prairie. Not sure yet about that but I would like to spy on the stuff going on out there. Not sure if being too high will be good or not.

So whats the usable stock range assuming flat terrain and say 50 feet altitude max?

Thanks in advance!

Dude, I'm telling you right now you will not stick to 20' off the deck for more than an hour or so..... :mrgreen:

You'll be doing 400' ceilings in no time and about 3-4k foot distances...then you'll want more...ask me how I know.......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj