NEW RECORD {update} [video is up] 6.09km... 3.8mi !!!

Re: NEW RECORD... 16,543ft... 5.04km... 3.1mi

Flying at Allapattah Flats in the morning... 6:00am coffee talk and mini/micro quads... 6:25am birds in the air

See ya there Swarm... looks like we have 4 onboard confirmed :ugeek:

DBS said:
There's nothing like standing out in the open somewhere and sending your newest build deep down range and having it come back in one piece with a new personal best distance to go home with... :ugeek:

Yep flown today with the newest antenna build and got 7900ft RC control on 25mW.
There is still improvement but the idea's are working.

DBS said:
Kag49601 said:
Number 5. Lol. If you don't mind me asking, can you post a picture on what you did to the phantom?

Not a problem for a homie up in Cadillac land :D

In this pic you can see antennas were removed from inside the battery bay... and back there on the right you can see the coax from this rear antenna routed straight up to the wifi module on top of the main board... rear antenna needs a MMCX male to female extender pigtail to make the length... or if you have the soldering skills you can rewire one antenna for this rear location to avoid the multiple connectors adding weight and cable loss to your dB ratings ... I used what I had laying around for now but I have a cable coming that will make this more "perfect"... front right of battery compartment is Flytrex 2.0 with slot cut out for SD card access while the battery is removed

20140805_114250_zpsqtlkwfil.jpg

Side View here on the back... The gangsta lean... The tilt is to compensate for how much the Phantom tilts while flying forward so the antenna is still facing flat front to the control point... don't wanna have all my 100mw boost just firing up into the sky :cool:

This doesn't have to be perfect ... The patch has a huge beam width but , like the extender , it is best to have the flat front pointed at the source...

Ran the cable down the side... drilled a hole at the spot where the cable has its original right angle MMCX connector so it stays tight against the phantom body... A glob of hot glue there to keep everything in place with vibrations or whatever...
20140805_114214_zpsq6sbylgz.jpg

The front... The easy one... When removing the antennas you will have one with a long cable and one with a short... use the short one here... it is perfect... scuff the Phantom body with sandpaper... clean with alcohol... Big glob of hot glue finishes the job... done deal

20140805_114106_zpsjnnm8gen.jpg
Thanks! I'm using FPVLR 2.4 pinwheels on the phantom, 2 watt- 5ghz amp running to 10db RHCP on the control side, 2.5 watt (2.4ghz) amp running to a 9dbi LHCP for one side of the range extender, and one pinwheel strait off the other side of the extender. I have the phantom side antennas mounted and pointed in different directions at 90% from each other. I also use both the taco booster app and the booster + app (go between the two) . I have never lost 5.8 signal with this setup, even when line of sight is an issue (for 2.4). The control always is rock solid. My problem this far is loosing fpv . Im pretty sure the issues is completely related to LOS since when I do lose signal I can get it back (to 100%) by moving slightly and\or raising the bird. The area I live in is full of hills and trees which makes LOS hard to achieve at altitudes I'm comfortable with. The mission that I completed to get #5 on the list (my all time best) was the result of me having to raise the bird to 1400 feet. Im not a fan of crazy altitudes when I'm at this distance. So hopefully (soon) I have the opportunity to try again in similar environment (like you) that allows for better LOS at much lower altitudes. In your opinion, do you believe using pinwheels (on the phantom) is hurting my fpv distance? I made the switch hoping it would make it easier to aim my antennas at the bird (which it has) but I'm wondering if the stock patch antennas would do better which just relocating them, as you did. Thanks for sharing!

Kag49601 said:
Broken down and edited for in-line answers below

Thanks! I'm using FPVLR 2.4 pinwheels on the phantom, 2 watt- 5ghz amp (same amp I use)
running to 10db RHCP on the control side, (you don't mention using any RHCP antenna on the Phantom itself for 5.8Ghz receiver... if you are using the stock pigtails on the Phantom for 5.8Ghz rx then you would be better off with a vertically polarized patch antenna for your tx... but that's not your problem as you state later ... just throwing it out there)
2.5 watt (2.4ghz) amp running to a 9dbi LHCP for one side of the range extender, and one pinwheel strait off the other side of the extender. I have the phantom side antennas mounted and pointed in different directions at 90% from each other. (sometimes just messing with orientation can clear up problems you are having with wifi dropping out before control signal)
I also use both the taco booster app and the booster + app (go between the two) (taco for wide open spaces with no outside interference... booster + app will help in urban or high traffic areas by helping reject unwanted interference) .
I have never lost 5.8 signal with this setup, even when line of sight is an issue (for 2.4). The control always is rock solid. My problem this far is loosing fpv . Im pretty sure the issues is completely related to LOS since when I do lose signal I can get it back (to 100%) by moving slightly and\or raising the bird. (good troubleshooting ... nobody can narrow down "your" particular issues than you can by repeated trial and error... hopefully more trial than error) :?
The area I live in is full of hills and trees which makes LOS hard to achieve at altitudes I'm comfortable with. The mission that I completed to get #5 on the list (my all time best) was the result of me having to raise the bird to 1400 feet. Im not a fan of crazy altitudes when I'm at this distance. (always remember ... altitude don't mean jack squat once you are over a hundred feet... it's the same , Phantom destroying crash , from 50ft up or 5000ft up ... but yeah... I don't like flying that high either for other AMA type reasons ... so I gotcha on that one)
So hopefully (soon) I have the opportunity to try again in similar environment (like you) that allows for better LOS at much lower altitudes. In your opinion, do you believe using pinwheels (on the phantom) is hurting my fpv distance? (Pinwheels or Cloverleaf antennas don't gain you more distance than any regular dipole antenna of the same rating... what they do is give you cleaner signal at that given max distance by rejecting outside interference and/or multi path distortion better than linearly-polarized antennas would... There is some argument about weather this actually helps or hurts in a MIMO setup but these circular antennas have shown huge results so I certainly wouldn't blame them for any shortcomings in distance at the ranges you are talking about)
I made the switch hoping it would make it easier to aim my antennas at the bird (which it has) but I'm wondering if the stock patch antennas would do better which just relocating them, as you did. (if you are going to stick with your directional 9dBi antenna on your extender... then you are better off sticking with your Cloverleaf type antenna on the Phantom... The DJI Patches aren't true circular polarization... they are kind of this pseudo circular patch forced into being circular by directing the feed and notching the corners to cause this phenomenon... it is a very shallow circular polarity compared to the LHCP designs you are using on your extender... think coarse thread or fine thread on a screw... FPVLR being coarse thread... DJI patch being fine thread... FPVLR antennas coarse circular works better with their sister antennas mounted on the Phantom... Used with the DJI patch antennas there is a certain degree of missmatch and therefore dB loss... The DJI patches actually show less dB loss sending to a standard linear patch antenna of the same dBi rating so yeah... stick with same type polarity and same type build rather than mix and matching) Thanks for sharing!

Other things that cause problems that are easy to solve with do it yourself installations...

Repeater mod... look at your cables inside and make sure there are no kinks... I saw an install where the cables were too long and crammed inside the repeater ... so the guy bundled them and put zip ties... This caused two sharp 180° turns where the wires doubled back on themselves and ruined everything... This can cause a standing wave in the short run of cable near the kink and kill an entire signal before it ever reaches the radio... There are different degrees of that type of problem but it is best to have nice wide sweeping bends in your cables rather than any hard 90° turns anywhere... especially more than one... they use that type of method to kill radio interference so it is not ideal in any wireless setup.

Pinwheel orientation... always pays to experiment... just like real estate ... location is everything.... move them around and see what orientation gives you the best results.

Connectors... This is just a double checker... but it's worth it... people get confused with SMA vs RP-SMA... and they look at the thread side and the collar side and just screw them together... but the inside of the connector needs to be pin to socket (male to female) ... we just had that happen to one of our flyers where three of his connections were lesbian (female to female) ... and he was still getting fpv out at 2000ft but couldn't figure out why he couldn't go any further... changed the cables... boom... 10,000ft run on the next flight with no booster amplifiers and no booster app running on the Phantom.... just those itElite patch antennas i use all the time.

Hope this helps sir... good luck and happy flying out there :ugeek:

Sunday morning with the Swarm at the location....did a test run with my flat panel setup (same as Chucks but no amps)...didn't run the Vision+Utility on this one....10,350 but wifi was getting shaky....bird was steady as a rock.....

Another satisified itElite customer!!!

Attachments

• 10,000.png
    10,000.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 422

Moving up the ladder...watch out BC!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    317.4 KB · Views: 389

Bring it on Bro Man!!! I ain't afraid of you!!! Hahaaaaa... congrats on this morning... 10,000ft on JUST control antennas... **** I gadda rethink my setup... :?

The Flytrex site showing itElite holding it down with 1st and 4th place is pretty **** cool looking ... I should send them that Screenshot for the guys in the office....

Great job this morning by the way... your flying is doubling in experience each time I see you out there and it shows... notice I'm not talking in your ear as much as you head down range... just 3 or 4 suggestions this morning and I think that's just because I can step back and see where you're aiming etc...

Fine fine job there sir...

Now back the hell off and don't start acting like you're gonna beat me or I'll have to stop sharing secrets :lol:

DBS said:
Kag49601 said:
Broken down and edited for in-line answers below

Thanks! I'm using FPVLR 2.4 pinwheels on the phantom, 2 watt- 5ghz amp (same amp I use)
running to 10db RHCP on the control side, (you don't mention using any RHCP antenna on the Phantom itself for 5.8Ghz receiver... if you are using the stock pigtails on the Phantom for 5.8Ghz rx then you would be better off with a vertically polarized patch antenna for your tx... but that's not your problem as you state later ... just throwing it out there)
2.5 watt (2.4ghz) amp running to a 9dbi LHCP for one side of the range extender, and one pinwheel strait off the other side of the extender. I have the phantom side antennas mounted and pointed in different directions at 90% from each other. (sometimes just messing with orientation can clear up problems you are having with wifi dropping out before control signal)
I also use both the taco booster app and the booster + app (go between the two) (taco for wide open spaces with no outside interference... booster + app will help in urban or high traffic areas by helping reject unwanted interference) .
I have never lost 5.8 signal with this setup, even when line of sight is an issue (for 2.4). The control always is rock solid. My problem this far is loosing fpv . Im pretty sure the issues is completely related to LOS since when I do lose signal I can get it back (to 100%) by moving slightly and\or raising the bird. (good troubleshooting ... nobody can narrow down "your" particular issues than you can by repeated trial and error... hopefully more trial than error) :?
The area I live in is full of hills and trees which makes LOS hard to achieve at altitudes I'm comfortable with. The mission that I completed to get #5 on the list (my all time best) was the result of me having to raise the bird to 1400 feet. Im not a fan of crazy altitudes when I'm at this distance. (always remember ... altitude don't mean jack squat once you are over a hundred feet... it's the same , Phantom destroying crash , from 50ft up or 5000ft up ... but yeah... I don't like flying that high either for other AMA type reasons ... so I gotcha on that one)
So hopefully (soon) I have the opportunity to try again in similar environment (like you) that allows for better LOS at much lower altitudes. In your opinion, do you believe using pinwheels (on the phantom) is hurting my fpv distance? (Pinwheels or Cloverleaf antennas don't gain you more distance than any regular dipole antenna of the same rating... what they do is give you cleaner signal at that given max distance by rejecting outside interference and/or multi path distortion better than linearly-polarized antennas would... There is some argument about weather this actually helps or hurts in a MIMO setup but these circular antennas have shown huge results so I certainly wouldn't blame them for any shortcomings in distance at the ranges you are talking about)
I made the switch hoping it would make it easier to aim my antennas at the bird (which it has) but I'm wondering if the stock patch antennas would do better which just relocating them, as you did. (if you are going to stick with your directional 9dBi antenna on your extender... then you are better off sticking with your Cloverleaf type antenna on the Phantom... The DJI Patches aren't true circular polarization... they are kind of this pseudo circular patch forced into being circular by directing the feed and notching the corners to cause this phenomenon... it is a very shallow circular polarity compared to the LHCP designs you are using on your extender... think coarse thread or fine thread on a screw... FPVLR being coarse thread... DJI patch being fine thread... FPVLR antennas coarse circular works better with their sister antennas mounted on the Phantom... Used with the DJI patch antennas there is a certain degree of missmatch and therefore dB loss... The DJI patches actually show less dB loss sending to a standard linear patch antenna of the same dBi rating so yeah... stick with same type polarity and same type build rather than mix and matching) Thanks for sharing!

Other things that cause problems that are easy to solve with do it yourself installations...

Repeater mod... look at your cables inside and make sure there are no kinks... I saw an install where the cables were too long and crammed inside the repeater ... so the guy bundled them and put zip ties... This caused two sharp 180° turns where the wires doubled back on themselves and ruined everything... This can cause a standing wave in the short run of cable near the kink and kill an entire signal before it ever reaches the radio... There are different degrees of that type of problem but it is best to have nice wide sweeping bends in your cables rather than any hard 90° turns anywhere... especially more than one... they use that type of method to kill radio interference so it is not ideal in any wireless setup.

Pinwheel orientation... always pays to experiment... just like real estate ... location is everything.... move them around and see what orientation gives you the best results.

Connectors... This is just a double checker... but it's worth it... people get confused with SMA vs RP-SMA... and they look at the thread side and the collar side and just screw them together... but the inside of the connector needs to be pin to socket (male to female) ... we just had that happen to one of our flyers where three of his connections were lesbian (female to female) ... and he was still getting fpv out at 2000ft but couldn't figure out why... changed the cables... boom... 10,000ft run on the next flight with no booster amplifiers and no booster app running on the Phantom.... just those itElite patch antennas i use all the time.

Hope this helps sir... good luck and happy flying out there :ugeek:

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have previously checked everything you had mentioned. A week ago I took my tx and repeater apart and looked for kinks and loose connections and even made sure nothing was touching the radio casing. I always make sure I'm plugging everything in correctly. I am using a 6db attenuator on the 2.4 side because I was getting signal drops at short distances without it. I will play around with the orientation of the copter pinwheels and hopefully find a better area that is more LOS friendly. What would you think about a a small 2.4 parasitic disk mounted to the rear of the phantom? I know it's more directional but could it help with distance while flying away from me? Thanks again for your help!

DBS said:
Did some more antenna modding last weekend... finally decided to mod a little bit on the Phantom itself... still using everything stock and stock antennas... just moved them a little bit so they are pointing in the right direction for FPV

Video here...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1HlDJcPlw[/youtube]

Screenshot from flight or it didn't happen right?
a6994232-65-Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-33-47.jpg

Ended up on top of the Flytrex leaderboard for P2V+ long range... pretty sweet for an old guy like me
a6994236-66-Screenshot_2014-08-06-07-26-17.png

I still gots more range in this baby... never lost control signal... never lost video feed... never hit RTH... Returned to base with 25% battery remaining... looks like there'll be some more attempts in my future...

Dear DBS

Yes this is very long range FPV.

In the end of your video your setup there are two antennas
One for 5.8 and other more biger for 2.4 and saw that you are using abelt and table
Was your mod haevy enough to make you use abelt and a table??

Regarding the screenshot that you post it is for iphone , ipad or an android device ?.

Thank you

714Aberdeen said:
Dear DBS

Yes this is very long range FPV.

In the end of your video your setup there are two antennas
One for 5.8 and other more biger for 2.4 and saw that you are using abelt and table
Was your mod haevy enough to make you use abelt and a table??

Regarding the screenshot that you post it is for iphone , ipad or an android device ?.

Thank you

The table is there just because there's no place to set the nice white controller down while getting things ready for flight without getting things dirty... and the lower antenna hangs below the control unit so it's nice to have a level surface to set down on that allows the antenna to hang off the edge... The "abelt?" ... I assume you mean neck strap ... is just a habit ... many FPV flyers use this for stability and aim ... nothing uncommon ... The unit isn't immensely heavy but I wouldn't want to hold it steady for 20 minutes while trying to aim and use two hands to take screen shots etc...

Screenshot is Android... Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Hey Tony, I know we had talked about this before and I will probably end up going this route (either way). In your opinion would I be better off going with a more directional antenna on the bird or going with a longer cp on the control end. Im just looking to get "around" the 3 mile mark without having a massive control system and/or loading the copter down with pinwheels. Thanks for chiming in! Kirk

FPVLR said:
Hello Kag,
if you want to beat that record, I can make you antennas to beat that record.
It's quite easy actually. The half sphere is used for light weight, portability, doubling the stock range, but if you use a longer standard helix like a 6 or 8 turns, you can go much further also I can make directional antennas for the phantom fore and aft, and you will have 20k ft + range, of course you need LOS to beat the record.

I knew he was watching this thread... never made a comment... never even said congratulations... just comes over here to advertise his own antennas.... and speaks as If I don't exist... just refers to it as "that record" :lol: :lol:

Well I take that as a compliment and still don't go in his thread advertising my sponsor's alternatives...

Kag49601 said:
Hey Tony, I know we had talked about this before and I will probably end up going this route (either way). In your opinion would I be better off going with a more directional antenna on the bird or going with a longer cp on the control end. Im just looking to get "around" the 3 mile mark without having a massive control system and/or loading the copter down with pinwheels. Thanks for chiming in! Kirk

Just my 2 cents... obviously by what I've posted ... 3 miles is easy without adding weight to an already heavy Phantom... you can easily just relocate the stock antennas and have that type of range... The idea is to do your mods on the ground and leave the Phantom alone if at all possible... aerodynamics will be a factor at those distances... vibration... and even just the small amount of weight like 20 or 30 grams shows itself in those long battery runs...

If that guy could make you something for the ground side without having to add anything to the Phantom side you'll be far better off at the end of the long run... Battery wise... The last 5000m video that was posted showed the Phantom returning to launch site with under 10% battery and he was using circular polarized stuff hanging off the Phantom... I believe he was having control and speed issues on the return though so he may have suffered from that as well... I think he was using antennas from Horizon UK ... Also very good stuff and priced reasonably.

And just another personal opinion... why I choose panels over shotgun style setups... they are 2 dimensional... flat ... they will slide into the outside slot in my carry case without having to make a whole nuther foam cutout on the inside ... it's like the difference between carrying around a piece of cardboard , or long camera lenses... leaving more room in the case for other pertinent equipment like batteries , chargers, and spare blades etc...

Anyway... it always comes down to personal choice so don't let my opinions influence what you are gonna do with your own unique setup...
I'm not selling anything and neither is 714Aberdeen
Just remember there are many choices out there and the last two longest videos posted on this forum were with antennas from....... :idea:

FPVLR said:
Hello Kag,
It's quite easy actually. The half sphere is used for light weight, portability, doubling the stock range, but if you use a longer standard helix like a 6 or 8 turns, you can go much further also I can make directional antennas for the phantom fore and aft, and you will have 20k ft + range, of course you need LOS to beat the record.

Dude.....do you even fly?????

This thread is a celebration of achievement, not some freakin spam war.....when you get to 20k post it up and I'll be the first to congratulate you. Your claim to fame is a dubious 6km flight posted on YouTube, with failed RTH and no 3rd party substantiation. I call that junk science....and that casts aspersions on any other claims you might make....

mede8er said:
This thread is a celebration of achievement....

And on that note... segway :mrgreen:

In other news... custom length cable looks to be arriving today with the mail boss... will install tonight/tomorrow morning... swap aluminum angle bracket for plastic... install new booster to repeater side... and clean things up a bit from previous install.

I looked at Range Line Rd. As you were saying... looks awesome for the 8 miles of strait line to follow... but looks to be trees lined all the way down the west side... and I see telephone pole shadows running the east side of the road... still might be worth scouting ... even further south where it turns into Allapattah Rd. .... looks like the real boonies down there ... maybe advantage away from civilization even more so than milestone.

Just found out I have to work this Sunday 8/17 ... 7am crane job can't be done during weekday business hours... so looks like no swarm for me this week... following Sunday 8/24 I'm all good... I may go fly Wednesday and Friday am to test... maybe go scout that Range Line deal... :ugeek:

mede8er said:
FPVLR said:
Hello Kag,

Dude.....do you even fly?????

This thread is a celebration of achievement, not some freakin spam war.....when you get to 20k post it up and I'll be the first to congratulate you. Your claim to fame is a dubious 6km flight posted on YouTube, with failed RTH and no 3rd party substantiation. I call that junk science....and that casts aspersions on any other claims you might make....
Just to stick up for Tony for a minute... He has been awesome with working with me and helping find a solution that works the best for my use-case. For the fact that he replied on this thread was to check in with me and me alone. I didn't at all take his suggestion as "spamming". Everyone has their own way getting the distance they want to be at. Regardless of the system used I think we all need to step back and not be so brash... As someone said earlier these forums are here to relay information and help each other in this hobby we all enjoy. With saying this I also appreciate all the pointers that DB suggested to me. The more and more that I see the long distance-posts I realize that everyone has great LOS and (fairly) flat terrain to deal with. For me that is not the case, at least where I typically do my testing. Thanks again for the help. I will be watching the leader board closely and hope to be one of the top 3 here very soon.[emoji1]

Kag49601 said:
For the fact that he replied on this thread was to check in with me and me alone.

The way to check with you and you alone is through a PM

Kag49601 said:
Everyone has their own way getting the distance they they want to be at.

I agree completely... This is why I don't post in other people's threads with my "sponsored" looking videos... but then again I'm not selling anything so i understand the difference

Kag49601 said:
As someone said earlier these forums are here to relay information and help each other in this hobby we all enjoy. With saying this I also appreciate all the pointers that DBS suggested to me. The more and more that I see the long distance-posts I realize that everyone has great LOS and (fairly) flat terrain to deal with. For me that is not the case, at least where I typically do my testing. Thanks again for the help. I will be watching the leader board closely and hope to be one of the top 3 here very soon.[emoji1]

Well said bro... I keep checking the **** thing every day waiting for a reason to take my next long shot...

Funny how , when your working towards something you are always looking forward ... When you finally get there you are always looking back to see if somebody's comin ta git ya... :lol: :lol:

Anyway... In other news my **** cable didn't show up yesterday :x
So hopefully today... but I ain't holding my breath on USPS... they done it to me before so ... yeah

DBS said:
Anyway... In other news my **** cable didn't show up yesterday :x
So hopefully today... but I ain't holding my breath on USPS... they done it to me before so ... yeah

**** IT!!! NO SHO ON THE CABLE AGAIN!!!

This will set me back a bit I guess... :evil:

Tony is a straight up guy willing to help the most basic beginner to the most technical flyer. Anyone who doesn't realize this should spend more time on their group home computer practicing their reading comprehension.

No need to start it all up again when it's already squashed... everybody hugged and got their jello already so all is good in the hood bro... On to getting the competition going and see who pushes the limits a bit farther... or kills it trying :twisted:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4