New Record for me 4383 metres!! I love my DBS IElite Mod

Still saying wow at what this Phantom 3 Advanced can do its amazing!! Thanks again to the DBS guys that remote mod best money I ever spent!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Fantastic flight Tony, well flown.

I have installed the ITElite DBS antenna and I flew with the mode today, I use to get 1.5 Km distance at 71 Meters height with the factory omnidirectional DJI antennas.

I went the same route same height today but with the Itelite DBS and at the same point (as in the past with the factory antennas) at 1.5km my signal started braking up like it was doing with the factory antennas, then I climbed at 120M and got full signal, went up to 2.98Km when is lost signal all together and my Phantom 3 Advanced when into RtH mode.

My mod was flawless (I have an electronics engineering background and had all the right tools for the mod) and I used silver-plated shorter cables from the SMA connectors to the ITelite antenna.

I honestly hoped I would get more range as I was flying in a non-densely suburban area, is this ItElite DBS antenna not having any real effect? I am not convinced (however DJI states that with the factory antennas the max range is 1.2miles and I did 2.8km = 1.8miles today)

Could it be the short silver plated cables that I used, should I use the originals that come with the box?

Could it be the fact that I was recording at 2.7k and the power consumption of Phantoms CPU was draining too much battery to let the bird’s transceiver to work at it peak power output and gain?

Could it be that there was signals degradation (attenuation) due to the fact that I was not on hill but at sea level and there was small patches of trees along the route even though I was at 120 and up to 145m high clear and above the trees?

How is it that you guys get these ranges (4.8 or 5Km)?

I have installed the ITElite DBS antenna and I flew with the mode today, I use to get 1.5 Km distance at 71 Meters height with the factory omnidirectional DJI antennas.

I went the same route same height today but with the Itelite DBS and at the same point (as in the past with the factory antennas) at 1.5km my signal started braking up like it was doing with the factory antennas, then I climbed at 120M and got full signal, went up to 2.98Km when is lost signal all together and my Phantom 3 Advanced when into RtH mode.

My mod was flawless (I have an electronics engineering background and had all the right tools for the mod) and I used silver-plated shorter cables from the SMA connectors to the ITelite antenna.

I honestly hoped I would get more range as I was flying in a non-densely suburban area, is this ItElite DBS antenna not having any real effect? I am not convinced (however DJI states that with the factory antennas the max range is 1.2miles and I did 2.8km = 1.8miles today)

Could it be the short silver plated cables that I used, should I use the originals that come with the box?

Could it be the fact that I was recording at 2.7k and the power consumption of Phantoms CPU was draining too much battery to let the bird’s transceiver to work at it peak power output and gain?

Could it be that there was signals degradation (attenuation) due to the fact that I was not on hill but at sea level and there was small patches of trees along the route even though I was at 120 and up to 145m high clear and above the trees?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-19-18-59-27_resized.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-19-18-59-27_resized.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • 2015-09-19 18.55.35_resized.jpg
    2015-09-19 18.55.35_resized.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 20150918_020618_resized.jpg
    20150918_020618_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 282

Not sure what to say Nik!! I can tell you the video I posted had me sitting at an elevation 90-150 metres below my end point. There was a large radio attenna .25 kms from my homepoint and thick fog and drizzle and you can see the distance flown. I also past over a very large powerline that in the main line that services the commmunities close by. There is very thick forest about 2kms in which is why I took the pond route back. My point being is that there were lots of things to limit my signal but the DBS mod did its work. Also I flew from my home this week past giving me about 3 kms and the amount of interfernence was huge. Huge radio tower just up on a hill from my home, all the hills are 100's of metres higher then me and the forest is very thick. All I can say is this mod is working well for me so I would have to think there is a problem with yours.

Not sure what to say Nik!! I can tell you the video I posted had me sitting at an elevation 90-150 metres below my end point. There was a large radio attenna .25 kms from my homepoint and thick fog and drizzle and you can see the distance flown. I also past over a very large powerline that in the main line that services the commmunities close by. There is very thick forest about 2kms in which is why I took the pond route back. My point being is that there were lots of things to limit my signal but the DBS mod did its work. Also I flew from my home this week past giving me about 3 kms and the amount of interfernence was huge. Huge radio tower just up on a hill from my home, all the hills are 100's of metres higher then me and the forest is very thick. All I can say is this mod is working well for me so I would have to think there is a problem with yours.
How do you monitor the 2.4ghz channel interference whilst in flight?
If there was a loose connection somewhere I was not going to get signal even at 500m so the mod must be OK, is there any way to check the antenna Tx (output) levels ?

I must add that the interference in your flight will dictate your distance/
How do you monitor the 2.4ghz channel interference whilst in flight?
If there was a loose connection somewhere I was not going to get signal even at 500m so the mod must be OK, is there any way to check the antenna Tx (output) levels ?

I monitor nothing just watch for the signal to start getting lower and then go left or right a little or up to see if it improves. If it does not I turn around. I hope someone chimes into this that can help man cause i really do not have a clue only flying this bird for under a month

Reactions: Mr.Spock
This is mainly for anyone reading this to not get the wrong idea in thinking it is ok to fly the P3 in wet conditions. It is not good and really should be avoided.
You wont like hearing this but don't have any long term expectations if you continue flying in such a wet climate. Especially drizzle, rain, and even snow for that matter.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
This is mainly for anyone reading this to not get the wrong idea in thinking it is ok to fly the P3 in wet conditions. It is not good and really should be avoided.
You wont like hearing this but don't have any long term expectations if you continue flying in such a wet climate. Especially drizzle, rain, and even snow for that matter.
I could not agree more it was unplanned and stupid I cannot see me ever doing it again . That being said it can be done

I must add that the interference in your flight will dictate your distance/

I monitor nothing just watch for the signal to start getting lower and then go left or right a little or up to see if it improves. If it does not I turn around. I hope someone chimes into this that can help man cause i really do not have a clue only flying this bird for under a month
I replaced the silver plated cables with the originals and got 4km today and the signal was full all the time I came back cuz I was just worried that the bird is too far. :)

Hello! Thats a pretty good record! I plan on getting the mod for my trip in france as my signal breaks up soon after the 100h and d200m mark and since where I live is relatively obstacle-free it should be fine to go further. Just a question though, how does it fit in the hardshell backpack? Thanks

Well I remove the DBS attenna from my remote when putting it in the case it only takes a second!! That being said I have seen many that just cut the foam of the hardcase and it fits perfectly.

I smashed my pb with P3p (completely stock no mods) was flying in the country and off a hill, I pushed it to the max. and really it got 'out there', I landed with 7% battery left...wont do that again in a hurry!
021.JPG

I have also done more than 4 km with my DBS mode. I should have gone further as the signal was full but i went back as
76ddee6f2bf28807fd9431c437066ffa.jpg
it said that i had just enough battery to come back...but on the way back calculation changed and the bird landed with 30 % battery. I did not undestand why...see picture

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The app gives a warning about battery but is an estimate only and plays it to safe, usually if you cancel warning you can fly a bit further but just not to far...lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic