New RC firmware 1.5.7

I automatically got it when I updated DJI Go App. Not sure what did it do :)

By the way, the Phantom 3 Pro, now has a 16mp still camera.
It was originally the same as the Phantom 3 Advanced, at 12mp.
Coming soon, we will also have the option of downgrading the video camera to 2.7K video recording. Sweet. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Bret Lucas
Coming soon, we will also have the option of downgrading the video camera to 2.7K video recording. Sweet. ;-)

RedHotPoker
You can't just add extra pixels through software. Hardware needs to be upgraded. It might be 16mp on paper, but in reality its just 12mp extrapolated, so won't be clear. Kinda like digital zoom, but in reverse.

Reactions: Douglas Struble
That makes sense. I can certainly understand your sentiment.
I wonder if those will still be useful, or simply a waste of time and effort? I suppose trial and error will dictate.
When I need real high definition pics, I can always "resort" back to my Nikon D800. ;-)
It has the full-on 36mp sensor.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Off topic, but I always wondered how they magically made the advanced camera go from 1080p to 2.7k just through firmware (software) updates. Either the camera was already 2.7k and they limited it to 1080p to justify price difference between advanced & pro model (which is good for advanced owners), or its really 1080p and extrapolated to 2.7k which will make picture not as clear, I don't know. Hope that made sense.

That makes sense. I can certainly understand your sentiment.
I wonder if those will still be useful, or simply a waste of time and effort? I suppose trial and error will dictate.
When I need real high definition pics, I can always "resort" back to my Nikon D800. ;-)
It has the full-on 36mp sensor.

RedHotPoker

The Nikon D800 at 400ft will be quite impressive. How do you plan on doing that?

Reactions: Bill7259
It is likely that there was more room on the sensor that was not being utilized, somebody should compare the fov of the old 12mp and the new 16mp. If there was an increase in resolution there would need to be an increase in viewable are, that is unless some kind of downsampling was already taking place and they removed or modified it. I am still really hoping for 2.7k/48fps as well, and more importantly, for an increased codec bitrate for 4k/uhd and a much better sharpening / detail algorithm. We need 100+ Mbps.

The Nikon D800 at 400ft will be quite impressive. How do you plan on doing that?
Oh, I have a secret weapon here, Align TRex 700E DFC HV. ;-)
Can also be made into a TRex 800E using a longer tail boom-torque tube, and larger rotor blades. It will carry the load, and then some.

RedHotPoker

Off topic, but I always wondered how they magically made the advanced camera go from 1080p to 2.7k just through firmware (software) updates. Either the camera was already 2.7k and they limited it to 1080p to justify price difference between advanced & pro model (which is good for advanced owners), or its really 1080p and extrapolated to 2.7k which will make picture not as clear, I don't know. Hope that made sense.
I was checking the stills taken today with P3A and find surprising results:

Raw File size is 3922x 2242 which is 4K and total pixels are 18.4MB

Does it mean that P3A has 4K camera?

So it is higher than 4K? And the pixels used are 18.4MB which is higher than 12Mega pixels. Where am I making mistake?

So it is higher than 4K? And the pixels used are 18.4MB which is higher than 12Mega pixels. Where am I making mistake?
Just kidding with u. It's probably IS 4K capable, but DJI is deliberately blocking it through software. I wouldn't be surprised if advanced and professional camera are exactly the same.

You can't just add extra pixels through software. Hardware needs to be upgraded. It might be 16mp on paper, but in reality its just 12mp extrapolated, so won't be clear. Kinda like digital zoom, but in reverse.
Really [emoji6]

RedHotPoker
Wow, can't wait to try out the extra pixels! Amazing what they can do these days! [emoji15][emoji16][emoji108]

I was checking the stills taken today with P3A and find surprising results:

Raw File size is 3922x 2242 which is 4K and total pixels are 18.4MB

Does it mean that P3A has 4K camera?

Your mixing up 4K VIDEO vs Images.

Images are the same on both A & P.

Its the VIDEO that is 4K on pro and has extra processing to handle it.

Images of the Pro and Advanced are not the same, after this recent firmware and app update.
The Pro now has 16mp stills, the Advanced remains at 12mp. (?)
If I'm not mistaken. Love to know the truth, matters. ;-)
Another update soon, will provide us Phantom 3 Pro' pilots with the option of recording in 2.7K video as well.
I am looking forward to testing that feature. 4K video takes a lot of memory space and computer processing power to deal with those large files.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic