NEW Product: Drone Crates Phantom 3 Backpack (Discount Inside)

Hi guys,

The guys at Drone Gear did a video review of our Phantom 3 Backpack so you can get a better feel for it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have a very similar system, from Drone World, although I would prefer your foam system.
Question : Does the position of your phantom allow the props to be left on the drone? There system does not !

Thanks

Drone_Crates_Phantom_3_Backpack_1__07437.jpg

I have a very similar system, from Drone World, although I would prefer your foam system.
Question : Does the position of your phantom allow the props to be left on the drone? There system does not !

Thanks

Drone_Crates_Phantom_3_Backpack_1__07437.jpg
No, the props need to be removed but I have mine setup so the props are very easy to access in the area they are stored. The wrench is so easy to get to as well. This bag is the bomb. It's got so much space and is very well made. You will really like it.

Reactions: Kris@DroneCrates
No, the props need to be removed but I have mine setup so the props are very easy to access in the area they are stored. The wrench is so easy to get to as well. This bag is the bomb. It's got so much space and is very well made. You will really like it.

This is correct. The bag is too narrow to keep the props on. I doubt anyone will make a bag where you can keep the props on, or if they do the width or height would be crazy tall/wide which in effect would make it less portable.

This is correct. The bag is too narrow to keep the props on. I doubt anyone will make a bag where you can keep the props on, or if they do the width or height would be crazy tall/wide which in effect would make it less portable.
I disagree. Physically it's very feasible to design a backpack that allows the props to remain installed. Imho the added dimensions wouldn't be a big deal in comparison to this drone crates backpack. That's what I'm waiting for, as I'm spoiled with my hard case that allows storage with props. I currently have a cheap backpack that would allow propped storage if it was 22"high instead of 18". Someday someone will make one, and I'll buy it.

Last edited:
That's a fine Phantom bag... Very well designed, and I like the extra battery compartments, a lot.
For safety sake, I don't mind removing my rotor blades..
But I do, sometimes wish that the DJI hard shell back pack had room for the props being left installed, but it's not a big time expense to spin them on and off when finished.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Kris@DroneCrates
Yea we do understand people want to keep the props on to save time. With that said as someone that's also an enthusiast I personally never keep the props on. I spend the time and energy to balance all my props and I'm not willing to risk them getting thrown off to save the 30 secs it takes to put them on.

Yea we do understand people want to keep the props on to save time. With that said as someone that's also an enthusiast I personally never keep the props on. I spend the time and energy to balance all my props and I'm not willing to risk them getting thrown off to save the 30 secs it takes to put them on.
With prop on not only save time but you can save screw inside the prop it self. The screw made of plastic, if you always put on put off every time you want to fly, it will damage the screw. Because human error when put it on to tight.
And make the prop unscrew when it fly.

Shipping rates to israel? I don't mind shippin by sea as its cheaper (don't mind the extra wait)

I'm unclear about your logic. By not having to install the props with every flight location, the risk of losing a prop is less. The more you install and uninstall the more likely you will make a mistake not tightening one prop and losing the bird. I balance my props too, and handling the props on and off so much increases risk of damage in the process, although I admit the risk is low and I do this all the time with my current $50 backpack. I would buy another backpack if someone made one that allowed propped storage. It's very convenient for quick launch and quick packing and leave, as I have with my microraptor hard case.

Last edited:
I disagree. Physically it's very feasible to design a backpack that allows the props to remain installed. Imho the added dimensions wouldn't be a big deal in comparison to this drone crates backpack. That's what I'm waiting for, as I'm spoiled with my hard case that allows storage with props. I currently have a cheap backpack that would allow propped storage if it was 22"high instead of 18". Someday someone will make one, and I'll buy it.
Yes, I agree.

This bag is 22" high.
With props on, the P3 is 20".

So, I don't understand why a 22" bag would not fit a P3 with props on, assuming the rounded top of the bag instead were squared.

One problem though would be the risk that the prop blades could be deformed since the bag lid is soft and not as protecting.

Clamshell inner foam would be nice. I'm thinking EPP foam lid with the normal softer foam bottom. All encased in a soft hiking backpack. I know there are cheap versions out there but a quality one would be nice.

I'm unclear about your logic. By not having to install the props with every flight location, the risk of losing a prop is less. The more you install and uninstall the likely you will make a mistake not tightening one prop and losing the bird. I balance my props too, and handling the props on and off so much increases risk of damage in the process, although I admit the risk is low and I do this all the time with my current $50 backpack. I would buy another backpack if someone made one that allowed propped storage. It's very convenient for quick launch and quick packing and leave, as I have with my microraptor hard case.

DJI made the props self tightening so there is no real worry about not have them on properly or worrying about over tightening, so I'm not sure how that will be an issue.

On our roller cases you CAN store the Phantom with the props on as well. With that said I still don't recommend it. In order for the items to be stored and stay in place within the case you have to apply pressure from the top foam on the items below so there are no gaps. This applies pressure on your blades (all cases do this) in turn bending them around the motors. This is not ideal for the motors or the props. I would much rather risk damaging a prop that cost less then $10 then deal with replacing a motor or knocking my balanced props out of balance.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree.

This bag is 22" high.
With props on, the P3 is 20".

So, I don't understand why a 22" bag would not fit a P3 with props on, assuming the rounded top of the bag instead were squared.

One problem though would be the risk that the prop blades could be deformed since the bag lid is soft and not as protecting.

You forgetting to factor in any kind of padding and thickness of material. A bag that would factor all that in would closer to 24" at a minimum, also the Phantom would be have to be mounted dead center in the bag and would limit the ability to put in other accessories. This would also be like strapping our roller case your back which eliminates the main point of a backpack being portable. On top of that your then getting in to an area where you might run into carry on problems with airlines.

Also we do not sell enough volume to do a custom bag. Custom soft goods are very expensive to design and produce and have much much longer lead times from time of inception to final product. With the way the current UAV/DRONE/Multirotor industry is and how quickly the products change we as a company need to be able to adapt our products quickly and do this would not make business sense unless for example DJI was to come out and say they are not going to change their Phantom's shape for the next several years.

You forgetting to factor in any kind of padding and thickness of material. A bag that would factor all that in would closer to 24" at a minimum, also the Phantom would be have to be mounted dead center in the bag and would limit the ability to put in other accessories. This would also be like strapping our roller case your back which eliminates the main point of a backpack being portable. On top of that your then getting in to an area where you might run into carry on problems with airlines.

Also we do not sell enough volume to do a custom bag. Custom soft goods are very expensive to design and produce and have much much longer lead times from time of inception to final product. With the way the current UAV/DRONE/Multirotor industry is and how quickly the products change we as a company need to be able to adapt our products quickly and do this would not make business sense unless for example DJI was to come out and say they are not going to change their Phantom's shape for the next several years.

I have to disagree.
1. It would not need to be 24" if designed right. Setting the props at a 35-45 degrees angles at the corners is the solution for adequate protection at 22" long, which also allows the corners of the pack to be rounded to look better, more like a backpack. Look how much room you have on one end of your 24" roller case, way more than needed.
2. 22 X 9 X 14 is the airline spec, it's feasible to make a backpack that size with adequate protection, if someone put their mind to it, and were motivated.
3. It's not like putting a roller case on my back, the roller case is heavy plastic, 15-16lbs (less craft). A properly designed backpack would weigh 2-3lbs (less craft). I'm not sure why you would choose that comparison, sounds like excuses.
4. The extra length of 22" over today's 18" packs could provide more options for cubbies for storage of things like wind meter, lens filters, SD cards, iPad, charger, batteries, Snickers bar ;-) , etc.

I understand why you don't want to design another backpack, it's expensive to design and you don't have not enough volume to justify it. I'm just saying that someday someone will design one that will work fine to allow propped storage. It is possible, and it can work fine. It will likely come from a Chinese firm, since Phantoms are from China.

As for pressure on the props from the lid, DroneCrates designed a hard case for the purpose of storing the Phantom with props installed. And I agree with you about concern for bending props, in the case someone mistakenly stores the case upside down to maximize pressure on the props. However the DroneCrates lid foam wasn't designed with this in mind. Ideally a custom foam insert could have been used to put pressure on the Phantom body only when the lid is closed, holding the Phantom securely in place while putting no pressure on the props. If you're concerned about bending props, the lid foam insert in your roller case could be better.

Reactions: gtpark

Thanks for the good reply.

I think this seems to be an awesome backpack, and I would absolutely consider it if I did not already have the hardshell for my P3P.

Compared to the hardshell, your backpack has plenty more room and well thought-out pockets for additional items, which is one thing I really miss about the hardshell.

DJI made the props self tightening so there is no real worry about not have them on properly or worrying about over tightening, so I'm not sure how that will be an issue.
If the screw made of alu like l self tightening prop on phantom 2 it would be ok, but for phantom 3 self tightening prop is made of plastic. And there is a change to over tightening due humen error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.