new pilots, prop guards

Weight, air resistance and the inevitable error of removing them using the same screws (long ones for the guards) and wrecking your motors... :ugeek:

As seahorse points out, the biggest drawbacks are the weight and impact on propwash/lift, and of course the pitfalls of using the wrong screws.

The prop guards weigh a little over 80g, which could reduce the flight time of a loaded P2 by a minute or more. You'll also have to be even more careful about descending too fast, you'll have less total lift with the propguards on and may experience the dreaded "vortex ring state" sooner with them on than without.

I will be witness to decending too fast with prop guards as I had this happen to me once and I busted 2 propellers in the crash. Luckily it was soft grass. Debating on taking my off, only leave them on because sometimes when I take off the Vision tips sideways and I fear the propellers will hit the ground before taking off.

usaken said:
OI points VRS might be a problem sometimes during rapid decent. Can this be avoided by keeping some foreword speed during final approach? Thanks

Correct, and this is a good plan to use for the P2/P2V even without the propguards, as the stock props seem to be a little more prone to it in general.

My newbie experience with prop guards has been disastrous. If your copter tips over, it will break props because the prop guards bend slightly and come in contact with the tip of the spinning props. I have damaged four props like this!

greytail said:
My newbie experience with prop guards has been disastrous. If your copter tips over, it will break props because the prop guards bend slightly and come in contact with the tip of the spinning props. I have damaged four props like this!

Can't say I've ever had this problem. Tipped it over on purpose today when demonstrating the prop guards, I even managed the right the copter back onto it's landing gear without any hint of the props hitting the guards. Only thing I can guess is tha your guards are a bit loose?

greytail said:

Are you using actual DJI prop guards, and the correct version for the 9" props?

Agreed with the comment on forward motion - or any motion whatsoever - if you descent while flying in any direction (in limited space it can be any direction) then the Vision will descent smoothly - no problems. If you just descent it will wobble a lot and you can loose the lift on the props - better to just come down heading anywhere - in limited space switching forward and back or sideways as well if possible and it will be much better.

When I got my PV I strongly considered prop guards, but am happy I didn't. Simply not needed IMO unless you're going to be doing a lot of maneuvering between tree branches or something.

I've gotten pretty good at landing smoothly by making the final descent straight down the final 10 feet or so slowly and steadily just setting it straight down on the ground and shutting the motors off immediately. I have found that if I hesitate close to the ground and try to hover a sec, it tends to drift a bit or whatever in its prop wash. Just descend steadily and slowly and set her down. If I don't like the looks of something when getting close to the deck, I'll ascend back up to 10 feet and start over. I approach it like a final approach landing an airplane. If it doesn't feel right, go around and set it up again.

My 2 cents for the day.

I think my prop guards saved the day today. Being a little stupid I flew into a tree. Phantom 2 fell about 15 feet to the grass. One bumper/prop guard took the brunt of the impact with the ground. It ended up broken and impaled into the grass. The Phantom 2 and all props undamaged. I know these things are ugly and can adversely affect flight dynamics, but for the new or stupid, not a bad add on. I was totally reluctant to put them on, but they came in the package deal my girlfriend picked out for me.

I've ordered a replacement set even though I only need one. I think I'll keep them on for a bit longer :)

- LIONDOG

Even for an inexperienced pilot, the Phantom is so easy to fly, I don't really see the need for prop guards. Unless your flying in a confined area or near obstacles, but you shouldn't be flying in those areas to begin with, if your inexperienced. I thought for sure I would need them, but quickly realized I could get along fine without them.

I am a new pilot with prop guards. Lately I have been wondering whether it is worth it as it makes the phantom a lot bigger to haul around (can't be bothered to keep screwing and unscrewing them).

I did think they would help with takeoff or landing in sketchy winds, in case the phantom tipped in a gust and caught the prop. But I tend to hand launch and land in wind anyway.

That's it - now I've talked it through with you fine folks, I've decided to lose them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers