New pilots, just go for it

Great thread! I'm like others that can get caught up in information overload but I still would rather err on the side of caution. I studied for days and then finally flew yesterday. Amazing feeling watching it lift off and handle so well. Thanks to all here for words of wisdom and a great knowledge base to tap into. Looking forward to continuing!

P3A Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rene van der meer
Newbie Here. Before I got my P3P I had never flown a drone before, let alone a Phantom. I got my P3P on Christmas Day, flew it a week later (**** UK weather!) on beginner, turned it off beginner the very next day and haven't looked back since; no crashes & no near misses. It is ridiculously easy to fly!

However, the above is largely thanks to this forum, which has been a great source for learning both before and after my first flight.

Reactions: rene van der meer
i just got my first phantom advance and its technology is amazing but i come from old school rc planes where you fly till you can no longer see the plane so once its a mere dot on horizon you carefully bank left or right and work out if its coming back towards you lol.
a lot of new drone pilots dont appear to have this usefull skill so hopefully i can use it if needed....hopefully not though
actually the drone is soo easy because it holds altitude automatically unlike a plane even in manual mode.try steering a fast dot left and right AND up and down...its hard
Goo point dragonmuzz.
Most of the time I bring the AC in not by watching the map, but steering it left or right and observe what happens. When it is has become a 'dot', this is not easy. ;)
Also the advice from Carmelsteve to practice ATTI mode is a good point. I know someone who crashed his P3P when it lost GPS and drifted away due to the wind until it auto landed in the trees. So don't rely on GPS entirely and try to steer in manually from time to time. Especially under strong wind conditions.
Another tip is to try the RTH button from time to time and then either adjust the course or stop the RTH procedure. The P3 is inherently safe, but if an emergency happens it is better to have experience under such conditions.

Newbie Here. Before I got my P3P I had never flown a drone before, let alone a Phantom. I got my P3P on Christmas Day, flew it a week later (**** UK weather!) on beginner, turned it off beginner the very next day and haven't looked back since; no crashes & no near misses. It is ridiculously easy to fly!

However, the above is largely thanks to this forum, which has been a great source for learning both before and after my first flight.
Dnallov,
If there are long periods without flying, you might consider shorting the auto discharge period to 2 days. It is better for the battery life time if you don't store them fully charged for longer period. I always charge them after a flight. With 2 days to auto discharge, if I am not able to fly, I don't have to worry about the batteries. I just charge them the day before I want to fly.
Happy flying. :blush:

Had my p3 since they came out and I'm loving it. Spent a lot of time watching videos on YouTube and doing my research before purchasing as it was my first airborne RC. Had lots of RC cars as a kid but not the same. No incidents so far apart from a few lost signals but it always returned. Trying my hand a video editing now. This was my last one,flying freehand without poi, bit of a difference from my first video shoot [emoji6].

Had my p3 since they came out and I'm loving it. Spent a lot of time watching videos on YouTube and doing my research before purchasing as it was my first airborne RC. Had lots of RC cars as a kid but not the same. No incidents so far apart from a few lost signals but it always returned. Trying my hand a video editing now. This was my last one,flying freehand without poi, bit of a difference from my first video shoot [emoji6].
Nice shots!
Did you use intelligent flight modes?

No, only gps was on. This was shot before the app was updated to include poi or waypoints, etc.

I would advise all those new to UAV's to do the same.

I agree with Steve. Here's a good way to start. After firing up your system and only after insuring you have sat lock and Home Point locked in do the following. (Do this on a very calm day, in a clear area).

Take the bird up about 50-60' go out about 100', let it hover for a few seconds, now while keeping your finger on the mode switch, move it to the center position ("A"-"ATTI") watch what it does, it'll stay at the correct altitude but it will start to drift. If you get nervous, just flip the switch back to the upper position ("P'-"P-GPS") and the sat lock will take over again.

Once you understand what it's doing fly it around a bit in the "A" position. Keep doing this until you get comfortable. As you get more comfortable try taking off and landing in the "A" position. Once you can take-off, fly and land in the "A" position, you're in pretty good shape to counteract a loss of GPS lock. This is probably the most likely cause of panic, crashes and the dreaded flyaway, short of an actual equipment failure.

Once comfortable with this process, go out further and try to bring the bird home in the "A" mode. You'll find that it will be very easy to get disoriented. You will need to use your map, compass and screen to bring her home. When you can safely do so, you've moved up another notch in avoiding most of the situations that you read about on these threads.

Also, while in GPS mode (P-GPS), learn to use "HL" (Home Lock). If you lose sight of your bird but you have sat lock, you will be able to get your bird back without initiating an "RTH" or Return To Home. If you Lose sight of your bird, increase your altitude to insure you won't hit any obstacles in any direction on your return, enable "HL" (Home Lock), now pull back on the right stick (depending on stick orientation settings) and keep holding it down. No matter where your bird is it will start coming back to your Home position in a straight line from wherever it is, once in sight, disable "HL" and you're flying again.

Personally, I have never initiated an RTH except to test it. Initiating an RTH can be confusing, at least for me. I want complete control of my bird at all times unless I'm making a completely autonomous flight.

Anyway, my point is, learn how to fly comfortable in "A" (ATTI) mode, learn how to use the different flight modes and learn how to use HL (Home Lock) and CL (Course Lock). In my opinion, if you take the time to learn these various methods of flight, you'll be able to alleviate 95% of the causes for crashed or lost birds. Just my opinion, of course. Have fun and fly safe!

Jerry

I agree, even going from a P1 to a P3A is a night and day difference. A much better machine. I have never had a single incident in the hours flying my P3.

Personally, I have never initiated an RTH except to test it. Initiating an RTH can be confusing, at least for me. I want complete control of my bird at all times unless I'm making a completely autonomous flight.

I agree with everything you say, except you should try the RTH, starting under the same controlled environment that you recommend for other situations. It's fantastic.

You can cancel it at any time just by pushing the RTH button again, whether it's in mid-return-to-you or mid-descent. I use it frequently, even when I can see the P3 clearly, then cancel it about 50' up, so I can refine the landing spot and land manually.

And on those frequent wacky occasions when you just can't spot your copter, even though it's theoretically in your line of sight -- it will always come back where you can see it. And finally, if you're just feeling a bit lazy, sometimes (make sure your VPS is on), it's fun to let it land all the way down on its own with RTH. Technology!!

Very nice video and flying your bird - music was perfect for it also. If anything (and this is only an observation on my part) - try a few less fades (if possible) between different shots or maybe try a longer delay with them or have the video overlay fade into the next shot. Not by any means a complaint - I just found in a couple of spots where you faded out and back in a little hard on the eyes. Overall man an excellent job and what a spot to fly and do video! I'd give ya 4.5 out of 5 stars for that work! happy safe flying!

I agree with Steve. Here's a good way to start. After firing up your system and only after insuring you have sat lock and Home Point locked in do the following. (Do this on a very calm day, in a clear area).

Take the bird up about 50-60' go out about 100', let it hover for a few seconds, now while keeping your finger on the mode switch, move it to the center position ("A"-"ATTI") watch what it does, it'll stay at the correct altitude but it will start to drift. If you get nervous, just flip the switch back to the upper position ("P'-"P-GPS") and the sat lock will take over again.

Once you understand what it's doing fly it around a bit in the "A" position. Keep doing this until you get comfortable. As you get more comfortable try taking off and landing in the "A" position. Once you can take-off, fly and land in the "A" position, you're in pretty good shape to counteract a loss of GPS lock. This is probably the most likely cause of panic, crashes and the dreaded flyaway, short of an actual equipment failure.

Once comfortable with this process, go out further and try to bring the bird home in the "A" mode. You'll find that it will be very easy to get disoriented. You will need to use your map, compass and screen to bring her home. When you can safely do so, you've moved up another notch in avoiding most of the situations that you read about on these threads.

Also, while in GPS mode (P-GPS), learn to use "HL" (Home Lock). If you lose sight of your bird but you have sat lock, you will be able to get your bird back without initiating an "RTH" or Return To Home. If you Lose sight of your bird, increase your altitude to insure you won't hit any obstacles in any direction on your return, enable "HL" (Home Lock), now pull back on the right stick (depending on stick orientation settings) and keep holding it down. No matter where your bird is it will start coming back to your Home position in a straight line from wherever it is, once in sight, disable "HL" and you're flying again.

Anyway, my point is, learn how to fly comfortable in "A" (ATTI) mode, learn how to use the different flight modes and learn how to use HL (Home Lock) and CL (Course Lock). In my opinion, if you take the time to learn these various methods of flight, you'll be able to alleviate 95% of the causes for crashed or lost birds. Just my opinion, of course. Have fun and fly safe!

Jerry

Hey Jtrjr - great post very informative - I have copied and pasted it into a doc format and will add to my binder I have with tips and instructions for safe and proper flying. I will follow exactly your tips here and I am sure they will help me out a lot - especially being new to this hobby and my P3A. Thanks again - continued happy and safe flying!

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll take all info and tips I can get. I only just began using editing software back in May for the first time. I'm using DaVinci Resolve as its free and I've been watching YouTube tutorials on editing and color correction. That video was made with Windows Movie Maker [emoji30] and with no ND filters.
In saying that I'm spending most of the time just enjoying flying the copter, it gets me out the house more, when its not raining that is.....

I have had mine for a couple weeks now and in northern Ontario it has been cold in those couple weeks. I have had 3, 4 minute flights so far in -17c and everything is fine so far. I use auto takeoff and let if hover for a minute and check battery temp and voltage then flight around my yard. I have landed all 3 flights myself with no problems. This weekend looks a like it is going to warm up to -6c so I'm going to ice fishing and going to bring the p3p along and hopefully get to fly for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, never a single crash for me.

I remember the terror of the first flight. Pretty quickly realized, once it was in the air, how rock-solid this thing was and quickly relaxed!

I have had mine for a couple weeks now and in northern Ontario it has been cold in those couple weeks. I have had 3, 4 minute flights so far in -17c and everything is fine so far. I use auto takeoff and let if hover for a minute and check battery temp and voltage then flight around my yard. I have landed all 3 flights myself with no problems. This weekend looks a like it is going to warm up to -6c so I'm going to ice fishing and going to bring the p3p along and hopefully get to fly for a while.

LOL - "warm up to -6'c". I am in central Ontario and flew the other day at -9'c! Nice calm day, clear sky and no issues. Didn't fly too long - fingers got a little numb. Safe n happy flying fellow Ontarian! Good luck with the ice fishing - cut a hole in the ice, and hover over it with a fishing line into the water from the Phantom - just kidding! Props might grab the line!

I hope to be flying while we catch a few walleye! Will definitely get some snowmobiling footage. Don't think I have the skills for a hook set with the phantom yet! [emoji57]

got my P3A a week ago but flew it for first time this saturday.4 flights with a battery boost in the middle.watched lots of videos during the week before flight and spent a lot of time on here reading.flew perfect.what a machine.got 2 vids on you tube already.guys at work cant believe how good it is.been asked to video a track day event in england already lol
happy days.
i sooooo need a 2nd battery though lol

Amen. I purchased my Phantom (P3Pro) with an extra battery. It took several weeks before the second battery arrived. Then I immediately ordered two more batteries, so I now have a total of 4. Believe me, it's a real blast to go flying with a couple of my friends (each of whom only have one battery) and I can fly again and again while they're either trying to recharge from the car or have gone home! Even flying with extreme caution (like landing with 35% of the battery still available) it's not difficult to get close to an hour's worth of flight.

Some of the guys are 100% correct. It's not if it's going to happen its WHEN. Learn your craft and be prepared. Have hundreds of hours flying and have had to take some kind of evasive action on several occasions. Remember too at 8% battery she will self land and she doesn't care what or where she is over. Down she comes. Learn to know what to do and when. Safety first always.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4