New pilot from Charlotte, NC

Reaction score
New Phantom 4 pilot from the Charlotte, NC area. I'm only about 5 flights in but I'm ready to capture some great footage this summer. I'm finding flying the drone is simple but the technical stuff is giving me headaches.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Welcome to the group! We will try to ease your headaches, just ask! Fly safe!

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Finally someone from Charlotte, NC. I am in Charlotte too. I am new to flying drones and have a P3A. Where do you usually fly here in Charlotte?

Finally someone from Charlotte, NC. I am in Charlotte too. I am new to flying drones and have a P3A. Where do you usually fly here in Charlotte?

I'm actually in Concord near the speedway. So far I've not gotten out of my immediate area. Just local parks but that gets old real quick. What part of town are you in?

Reactions: TomCruise06
I'm also in Charlotte. I've buzzed downtown, panther stadium, and the BOFA tower :) Haven't been hassled at all, but I keep a low profile. I dont' fly low over people, and I get my footage and get gone...

Well I guess some would call me a scoff law and that I will bring ruination to our hobby,but I launch from the top of various parking decks on weekends when the city is mostly emptied of clock punching human drones...

Well I guess some would call me a scoff law and that I will bring ruination to our hobby,but I launch from the top of various parking decks on weekends when the city is mostly emptied of clock punching human drones...

Why would you post this online for the world to see and scrutinize? It's been proven (a few times actually) that our forum can be (and has been) visited by members of the very organization charged with making and enforcing AVIATION safety laws. The very same ones you are quite possibly breaking and blatantly so.

Did you calculate your distance to airports? Did you get approval to fly inside BRAVO airspace? A good portion of your local flying area (in downtown Charlotte) is potentially inside BRAVO airspace.

Directly from the FAA's website:
AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS
Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

So I'd say you have a very strong potential to be called a "scoff law" and yes indeed you are potentially bringing undue light and scrutiny (maybe undue is the wrong word here) to our hobby as a whole.

Yup i calculated the distance to the airport and even mapped the Class B around Uptown. Which covers the southwest corner of uptown near BofA Stadium.

I'd say MOST of uptown is actually not within CLT no fly

Hi BigAl07

I see that you are also from NC. Can you please list out some beautiful legal places to fly a drone? I am fine to drive to any part of NC to capture a view with a drone. I have never captured a video other than my community golf course on off hours with golf course office permission.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi BigAl07

I see that you are also from NC. Can you please list out some beautiful legal places to fly a drone? I am fine to drive to any part of NC to capture a view with a drone. I have never captured a video other than my community golf course on off hours with golf course office permission.

We have tons of places in Western NC to fly. Several lakes, rivers, water falls, scenic mountain vistas and more. Just be mindful about the Parkway and any land operated by the National Park Service. As stated already they are OFF limits.

Yup i calculated the distance to the airport and even mapped the Class B around Uptown. Which covers the southwest corner of uptown near BofA Stadium.

I'd say MOST of uptown is actually not within CLT no fly

While I'll admit it's splitting hairs about this but.. what Ap are you getting that image from? The one(s) I'm using have the BRAVO area going a bit further into CLT than yours is depicting.

I'm waiting on FedEx to deliver my first drone, P4P. I am also in Charlotte, would love to get together with you guys sometime.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl