New Phantom2. LEDS normal, but motors won't spin

Reaction score
I ordered a new Phantom 2 with the bundled ZenMuse H3-3D gimbal in time for the grand kids visit this weekend. Installed, and everything seemed normal. LEDS indicate as described in manual and tutorials. GIS calibration worked just as described. Camera tilts up and down with the thumbwheel knob on the and rotates left and right with the left and right movement of the left stick. When I move the drone, the gimbal moves the camera automatically as I expected. But when I try the startup procedure by moving both sticks down, nothing happens. I tried disconnecting the cable to the Zenmuse, and still no motor action. I thought I would check here before trying anything else, lest I just make things worse trying to download and install updates.

Any help would be great! The boys are leaving tomorrow, and we will all be disappointed if we don't get it working.
I also have the AVL58 video downlink, but haven't installed that yet.

Thanks,
Charlie

You should download and install the firmware updates. Then do a full calibration of both the P2 and transmitter. The CSC to start the P2 is in corners, not straight down. I pull both sticks to the bottom inside corner. Lastly, do you live near an airport?

FarmerCharlie, zenador gave a good list, you should have been able to fly right out of the box. Not doing the CSC properly is probably key, in addition the LEDs give very important information, vital information.

If this is your first experience with RC and or multirotor craft, be careful around children or young adults. Inquisitive folks often get too close without fear.

Doing the compass calibration is important. Is this what you called GIS ?

zenador78 said:
You should download and install the firmware updates. Then do a full calibration of both the P2 and transmitter. The CSC to start the P2 is in corners, not straight down. I pull both sticks to the bottom inside corner. Lastly, do you live near an airport?
I pulled straight down. I'll try again like you suggested. Nearest airport is 6 miles as the crow flies. I'll do the firmware updates, but I first wanted to be sure I'm not just doing something stupid.

Buk said:
FarmerCharlie, zenador gave a good list, you should have been able to fly right out of the box. Not doing the CSC properly is probably key, in addition the LEDs give very important information, vital information.

If this is your first experience with RC and or multirotor craft, be careful around children or young adults. Inquisitive folks often get too close without fear.

Doing the compass calibration is important. Is this what you called GIS ?
I meant to say "GPS." I was referring to the compass calibration procedure in which you flip the S1 switch 6 times, wait for the solid yellow lights, rotate 360 degrees, wait for solid green light, tilt 90 degrees forward, and rotate 360 degrees again. That all went just as the tutorials described, and I wound up with two slowly blinking green lights. It does exactly the same whether or not I have the Zenmuse plugged in.

On the safety points, this 74 year old retired engineer hears you loud and clear. I've been fantasizing and studying over this project for over a year, and I have seen videos of quite a few accidents that should never have happened. This may be a controversial subject, but I sure wish the FAA would hurry up with some sensible regulations before we have a really tragic accident, and public pressure forces them into draconian reaction.

zenador78 said:
The CSC to start the P2 is in corners, not straight down. I pull both sticks to the bottom inside corner.
I could have sworn all the instructions I had read said to pull them both straight down. I tried again using your technique, and that's all it took. Now we're cooking.
First flight was just a rise to thirty feet, a trip about ten feet towards the pond, hover for a minute, and back down. Wow, was that fun! Now to install the transmitter, figure out how to use the GoPro, and start having some real fun with the kids.

Thanks for the quick help on a Sunday. Looks like I picked the right forum to start this new hobby with.
You guys are almost as good as my current favorite forum at www.yesterdaystractors.com/

Charlie.

Welcome Charlie, Enjoy your new toy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20