Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New Phantom Pro/Adv Controller Issue... Dead USB port?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by CaptainDrone798, Jun 19, 2016.

1. CaptainDrone798

I received a replacement Phantom 3 Pro from DJI and they included a controller either on purpose or by error.

The controller has the good old problem of not being able to send or accept data via the USB port.

What this means is that the DJI GO App can't speak to the controller, so any settings within the DJI GO App can not be set on the Phantom, nor can I receive video. This of course also means that I can't update the firmware on the controller. If I place the firmware BIN file on a micro SD card and then into a USB stick and then into the controller, nothing happens because the USB Port is not accepting data.

The USB Port does however provide power. When I switch on the controller and plug in a Phone or Tablet, those items will show the charging symbal.

DJI has a Help Video showing how to remove and replace the circuit board, in case one wished to upgrade to HDMI output. I removed the circuit board and reinstalled it thinking that perhaps a cable could be loose or not well connected. NO LUCK.

Other option I tried was spraying Electronic Contact Cleaner in the USB Port, just in case a poor connecting was the problem. NO LUCK.

Anyone have any thoughts... or a spare working USB controller board sitting around?

20160618_112339.jpg 20160618_114234.jpg

2. alokbhargava

Connect your RC to PC or Mac on that USB port and check if that's working.

I had read that there are chances of connection issues on the USB connector soldering points. Inspect those points and if needed touch with a pointed fine tip earthed low wattage soldering iron.

You stated that DJI sent you RC by mistake. Does it mean you have one more RC with you?

3. CaptainDrone798

I have tried plugging it into my MAC and no luck. Unfortunately, nothing shows up.

I'll look at the board again and see if I can spot any soldering issues.

I already had a Phantom 3 controller (lightbridge} so I was able to use that one and bind it with this model to ensure it worked. This Phantom works well and the camera is great (no jello, sharp image, good color).

#3 CaptainDrone798, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. JOEY-JO

I am having the exact same issues with my RC.

5. mrkrag

EXACT same problem as well. Was this ever resolved? I also have steady fast blinking yellow lights, anyone else?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

6. t2adze

I have the same issue after update of DJI GO 3.1.0.
    My S5 and Tab Pro stopped working. Neither my RC sees it and neither my PC.
    I think DJI go ruined some setting in the phones. Trying to figure out what to do.

Try to connect your Device to the PC and see if it sees it. Or does it JUST CHARGE it there as well?

7. peter west nz

I do, but I am in NZ

8. CaptainDrone798

I did resolve my problem a month ago. I discovered that it was not the USB port, but rather that a specific (and I mean specific) firmware update was necessary. It was one of the updates from long ago. As soon as I updated the controller with that update, it would then accept all future firmware updates.

9. peter west nz

Don't we just love technology?

10. TheDrone8122Master

Well keep your phone charge up

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

11. mrkrag

I just wanted to come back and add that i replaced the usb module with the hdmi module and I am in the air! The latest fw seems to have fried the usb port. Once I had the hdmi module on, its usb was working fine. RC had failed the upgrade and was not updating from a usb stick so I (reluctantly) updated from the Go app (which DJI has updated twice since this issue started, btw) and just like that, green lights. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

12. Oso

Oso

Great news that you're back in the air!

It's been quite a while now since we lost the ability to update RC firmware via the USB. It has been through the app only since I think FW 1.32 or 1.4 depending on the RC version.

13. DrJoe

Here is something interesting: I pulled out my P3Pro and could not get my iPad Air2 to connect to the controller.

I tried 4 different cables, including a brand new Apple Lightning cable. So its NOT the cable.

I confirmed that my iPad did not have its firmware updated, nor did the Phantom or the controller. It is all the exact same as when I put it away working a month ago.

My two working theories:
    1. Some kind of forced update to the iPad I didn't approve which is screwing up iPad or some setting on the iPad I messed with. (I do use the iPad for other things than flying).
    2. Failed USB port on the remote.

Before I go through the hassle of a complete iPad wipe and restore, I'd like to troubleshoot the USB. Anyone have any ideas?

14. DrJoe

So, I pulled my upgraded USB/HDMI board on the back of the remote. Viola! USB connects immediately. Something just went bad on the board. No to order a new board from DJI. I'll tell the how much I appreciate paying twice.