New Phantom Pilot

ACC

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

After a year or two of looking at and researching drones and Phantoms in particular I finally pulled the trigger in late November when the price of the Phantom Standard became too good to pass up. The few times I have been able to fly up here in the cold north (Wisconsin) my expectations have been FAR surpassed... It has been great fun. Everyone's comment on the video I have captured has been WOW.

I found PhantomPilots while searching for DJI related apps on my iPad. I must say that I have found much of the information contributed by many of the posters on this forum to be quite informative and valuable and I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for the valuable info you have shared.

I would like to contribute a little info on a recent purchase that I made for my Standard, a carrying case. I had purchased one of the inexpensive cases available on eBay ( Backpack Shoulder Bag Carrying Case For DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced S2 ) This case turned out to be quite nice for the price but had one major drawback for me... It is smaller and you have to take take the props off.

I found a very nice case from a company called CaseClub. It is different than my first case as it is a hard plastic case. I also has cut foam to fit the Phantom 3 series. TONS of room for stuff including my iPad Air and Nexus 7 and the props stay on! Case has nice wheels and a handle for pulling it on the wheels. It has some reusable desiccant (not convinced that is important.) This case is significantly heavier and of course bigger than my first case. I think both have their uses though I will not keep my first one.

What I like about the smaller case: Weight (it's very light), compact size, has shoulder straps to use as backpack

What I don't like about smaller case: wont handle drone with props on, concern about how case fabric will wear.

What I like about CaseClub case: Props stay on, lots of room for tablet(s) and accessories, water sealed lid (waterproof?), cutouts on lid foam for props so when lid is closed props are not bent, case can be used as a takeoff spot, latches, pull handle and wheels, build quality, lid has a detent in the hinges to keep lid open. Overall, case seems to be very well thought out and solidly built.

What I don't like about CaseClub case: Weight... Significantly heavier than the other case, size (I know, can't have props on and small size)

The place to buy the Case Club case is Amazon as they include free freight. Freight is extra at Case Club. At time of posting, Amazon is out of stock. I just got mine last week and they had been out of stock before that for about a week. Here are links to the product at both sites.

Amazon.com: Case Club Waterproof DJI Phantom 3 Drone Case with Silica Gel (Propellers On): Toys & Games

DJI Phantom 3 Drone Case | Case Club

I hope these comments are helpful to someone.

Again, thanks for all the others contributions that have been so informative and helpful to me.

Great review :)

I'm looking to buy THIS one. For that price I think its great. I want to have backpack for easy carring when walking. Yes its true that can't have props on, but also at original backpack you cant. Do you think you can damage props if you need every time take it off and on. Is it bad for phantom?

I'm looking to buy THIS one. For that price I think its great. I want to have backpack for easy carrying when walking. Yes its true that can't have props on, but also at original backpack you cant. Do you think you can damage props if you need every time take it off and on. Is it bad for phantom?

this is the same one I have, cost in the UK £19.00 cant complain about anything with it, great for the price as well, in the outside zip I put a 2ft square of plastic to put it down on if the ground is dirty, the props I put into a cardboard sleeve inside the lid so that they don't have any pressure put on them when carrying it about.

Not sure about the taking the props on and off. Perhaps some of the more experienced folk on the forum can better comment on that. Potentially I guess you could screw up the threads.

I liked the idea of not taking the props off purely for the convenience of it. In order to take the props of you have to get the motor holder wrench out and when you want to fly you have to put them back on... I guess it's my laziness! o_O

I'm looking to buy THIS one. For that price I think its great. I want to have backpack for easy carring when walking. Yes its true that can't have props on, but also at original backpack you cant. Do you think you can damage props if you need every time take it off and on. Is it bad for phantom?

That is the case I first bought. Nothing wrong with it at all that I found, specially for the price. I wanted the convenience of props on and the hard case is more protective.

Not sure about the taking the props on and off. Perhaps some of the more experienced folk on the forum can better comment on that. Potentially I guess you could screw up the threads.

I liked the idea of not taking the props off purely for the convenience of it. In order to take the props of you have to get the motor holder wrench out and when you want to fly you have to put them back on... I guess it's my laziness! o_O

You shouldn't have to use the wrench to take them off, if you do you are tightening them too tight. All they need is to be seated by spinning them on, then i hold the prop steady and use my thumb and forefinger to spin the motor to tighten them a tiny bit more. Some people spin the props on until they are seated and call that good. If you tighten them too much you can ruin the threads and risk a prop coming off mid flight.

This guy is no expert but he does have a lot of helpful information on his youtube channel. I watched a lot of his videos while deciding whether or not to buy a Phantom 3.

I think I will order this one. Don't know where to buy it. Form UK its more than 60€, from china its 30€ :)

UK: Black Case Shoulder Carry Backpack Bag for Drone Quad DJI Phantom 3 Standard

CHINA: Backpack Shoulder Bag Carrying Case For DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced S2
I have had good luck ordering stuff from China / Far East. They have some amazing prices when you factor in that fr
You shouldn't have to use the wrench to take them off, if you do you are tightening them too tight. All they need is to be seated by spinning them on, then i hold the prop steady and use my thumb and forefinger to spin the motor to tighten them a tiny bit more. Some people spin the props on until they are seated and call that good. If you tighten them too much you can ruin the threads and risk a prop coming off mid flight.

This guy is no expert but he does have a lot of helpful information on his youtube channel. I watched a lot of his videos while deciding whether or not to buy a Phantom 3.

You misunderstood what I meant... :D I don't use the wrench to put the props on... I get the wrench out to take the props off because after flying, one or more are on too tight to take off without the wrench.

I have had good luck ordering stuff from China / Far East. They have some amazing prices when you factor in that fr

You misunderstood what I meant... :D I don't use the wrench to put the props on... I get the wrench out to take the props off because after flying, one or more are on too tight to take off without the wrench.
I understood what you said but if you don't put them on too tight they shouldn't be too tight when you take them off. I have only had 1 that I had to use the "wrench" on and that was when I first got my P3P (new motors) and I was tightening them too tight. You don't need to twist them until they won't twist anymore, if you do that is too tight. You seat them and then snug it down with a very small (maybe 1/10th) extra turn Some don't even snug it down but just verify it is seated well.

Yes I will order from here. It will take some more time but its half a price ;)

I have that case. I originally thought taking props off every time would be a hassle but it is simple. Also, taking them off frequently insures they don't get over tightened, so I can always take them off by hand. I keep the tool in my case but haven't needed it for a while.

Thank you guys. I order it :)

One more question. Where can i get lens cap with gimbal lock for phantom 3 standard? LINK This on link is just for pro/adv.
Original gimbal lock I so hard to get on and I still need lens cap, so all in one.

I understood what you said but if you don't put them on too tight they shouldn't be too tight when you take them off. I have only had 1 that I had to use the "wrench" on and that was when I first got my P3P (new motors) and I was tightening them too tight. You don't need to twist them until they won't twist anymore, if you do that is too tight. You seat them and then snug it down with a very small (maybe 1/10th) extra turn Some don't even snug it down but just verify it is seated well.

I don't tighten them beyond getting to the end of travel of the screw, yet some of them come off hard from the motor torque... reason DJI provides the wrench in the first place I would guess.

Thank you guys. I order it :)

One more question. Where can i get lens cap with gimbal lock for phantom 3 standard? LINK This on link is just for pro/adv.
Original gimbal lock I so hard to get on and I still need lens cap, so all in one.

Here are two options:

DJI Phantom 3 Standard - CLEAR Gimbal Lock & Lens Cap (Standard only)

Gimbal Lock Camera Lens Cover Cap Protector For DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter

I have the second one and it seems OK. It is slightly different than the first link that says it is specifically for the Standard. I have little experience with mine since I have had my Phantom 3 for short time and have not gotten to fly it as much as I would like. :(

Here are two options:

DJI Phantom 3 Standard - CLEAR Gimbal Lock & Lens Cap (Standard only)

Gimbal Lock Camera Lens Cover Cap Protector For DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter

I have the second one and it seems OK. It is slightly different than the first link that says it is specifically for the Standard. I have little experience with mine since I have had my Phantom 3 for short time and have not gotten to fly it as much as I would like. :(

First link would be ok, but price with shipping to Europe is 26€ and this is to much.

LINK I was looking for this on link, but some guys says it woudn't fit on standard, because it's designed for adv/pro and it's different.

First link would be ok, but price with shipping to Europe is 26€ and this is to much.

LINK I was looking for this on link, but some guys says it woudn't fit on standard, because it's designed for adv/pro and it's different.

This is the listing for the one I actually purchased. Though it does not specifically say that it works on the Standard, I can vouch that it does. the lens shade on the listing... not so much... it requires that you counterbalance the weight of it on back of camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4